Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 19:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

USC Vs. Notre Dame (w/fellowship)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

USC Vs. Notre Dame (w/fellowship) [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2013, 21:45
Hi Guys,

I am admitted to Notre Dame with 25k/year fellowship. I just had my interview with USC and waiting for their feedback by April 3rd. I don't think USC will give me any money. So lets say if it doesn't, are the two schools comparable in terms of reputation and recruiting opportunities? I think both schools are ranked between 20-25, however USC is much more well known internationally. According to the brochure from each school, the companies that recruit from either schools don't seem to be too different, mostly fortune 500's with big four accounting firms(consulting arm i guess) and banks like Bank of America and Wells Fargo, etc. I would like to eventually live in Los Angeles and work in a real estate private equity firm or finance. 100k in tuition +cost of living could be quiet overwhelming. So, what do you guys think? Any comments or opinions are welcome!!

Cheers.
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 96

Re: USC Vs. Notre Dame (w/fellowship) [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 07:46
bubbleman1081 wrote:
Hi Guys,

I am admitted to Notre Dame with 25k/year fellowship. I just had my interview with USC and waiting for their feedback by April 3rd. I don't think USC will give me any money. So lets say if it doesn't, are the two schools comparable in terms of reputation and recruiting opportunities? I think both schools are ranked between 20-25, however USC is much more well known internationally. According to the brochure from each school, the companies that recruit from either schools don't seem to be too different, mostly fortune 500's with big four accounting firms(consulting arm i guess) and banks like Bank of America and Wells Fargo, etc. I would like to eventually live in Los Angeles and work in a real estate private equity firm or finance. 100k in tuition +cost of living could be quiet overwhelming. So, what do you guys think? Any comments or opinions are welcome!!

Cheers.

if you get in to usc with no $, be sure to tell them about the 25k from notre dame and ask them to reevaluate. theyre a very generous school as well. Dont know much about notredame but i agree that usc has a better name and is in a better geographical region. however usc has been a mixed bag of late and rankings have been dipping, students complaining, etc. id still go usc if u get the money equal
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Kelley (Indiana) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 23

Re: USC Vs. Notre Dame (w/fellowship) [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 08:15
Your goal is to work in LA... while Marshall seems to be a bit of a risky place to go these days, I don't think you can really make a case for Mendoza if you want to work anywhere in California.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: USC Vs. Notre Dame (w/fellowship) [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2013, 09:23
Thanks for the replies. A friend of mine said doesn't matter where you go, companies will have recruitment and placements all over the country. Just ask asked to be assigned to offices in Southern California. So, geographic location of the school shouldn't matter too much...what do you guys think?

I am aware that USC has been coming down in the rankings, hopefully they will come back up soon.
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 414 [0], given: 245

Premium Member
Re: USC Vs. Notre Dame (w/fellowship) [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2013, 09:42
Expert's post
bubbleman1081 wrote:
Thanks for the replies. A friend of mine said doesn't matter where you go, companies will have recruitment and placements all over the country. Just ask asked to be assigned to offices in Southern California. So, geographic location of the school shouldn't matter too much...what do you guys think?

I am aware that USC has been coming down in the rankings, hopefully they will come back up soon.

Yes, you can ask to be placed in any office but the chances of that happening varies. Usually you'll end up working in whatever major city is closer to the school (for Notre Dame, probably Chicago) and then doing an internal transfer to California in 2-3 years

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2326

Kudos [?]: 9471 [0], given: 3703

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: USC Vs. Notre Dame (w/fellowship) [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2013, 10:00
Expert's post
Geo location does matter ESP when it gets to specific industries. For example, you may find 20-40 active Mendoza alums in LA but they are all in the entertainment industry and if you are aiming for finance, it will be tougher to find this connections. I just had a lunch with Rhyme on wed (name dropping ;)) and he mentioned that DC has an active Booth group and all alums are really cool but they are all into politics and government and there is not really much to talk for him at meetings (which is a stretch since he could talk to anyone about anything) but still not much of an overlap whereas in Chicago the group and support are significant and open many doors.

PS another benefit of attending a school in the city that you will live is many of your friends will stay there too as opposed to schools in locations people are unlikely to stay ( tuck, duke, unc)

Posted from my mobile device.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: USC Vs. Notre Dame (w/fellowship)   [#permalink] 16 Mar 2013, 10:00