Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 10:59

Going on right now!

Interview Invites from Chicago - Booth | Join the chat room for Live Updates.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Use of "having been" or "having" in SC senctences..

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.39
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 10

Use of "having been" or "having" in SC senctences.. [#permalink] New post 28 May 2013, 19:44
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
hi all..

Please help me with the issue. I am unable to judge the use of "having" /" having been" in sentences as correct or incorrect, and as a result have got a habit of simply rejecting the choices with the word. Now its pinching me again and again. So I want to finish the issue once for all.

So I request anyone "HAVING" confidence in the same to please explain the usage on GMAT.

Thanks in advance... :)
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 257

Kudos [?]: 992 [1] , given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Use of "having been" or "having" in SC senctences.. [#permalink] New post 30 May 2013, 15:59
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
confusedsoul wrote:
hi all..

Please help me with the issue. I am unable to judge the use of "having" /" having been" in sentences as correct or incorrect, and as a result have got a habit of simply rejecting the choices with the word. Now its pinching me again and again. So I want to finish the issue once for all.

So I request anyone "HAVING" confidence in the same to please explain the usage on GMAT.

Thanks in advance... :)

Hi confusedsoul,

Good news is that, yes, most of the GMAT SC questions which use "having been" (not "having") are incorrect. There are only a few applications of "having been"

"having been" is also called perfect gerund. It is used to express a condition that no longer exists at the time of stating.

for example - Having been a doctor's husband I know the advantages of a qualified wife -> I am no longer married to a doctor

"having" is just the ing+verb form of the verb "to have" and very commonly used in participle clauses ( having + past participle)

The use of "having" is pretty common and should not be rejected as frequently as "having been".

Having done my work, I played video games for a while --> after finishing my work I played

Hope this helps,
Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 133

Kudos [?]: 242 [1] , given: 11

Re: Use of "having been" or "having" in SC senctences.. [#permalink] New post 30 May 2013, 17:01
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
"Having been" is really just a specific example of the "having + past participle" construction.

Having eaten, we retired to the living room.
Having painted the entire house himself, he needed a bath.

This is a perfectly good usage, but you won't see it often on the GMAT. What you're likely to see is something like this:

The movie having been shown first was not funny.

What does this mean? If we are trying to specify our subject, we should say "the movie that was shown first," or even just "the movie shown first." The only way that "having been" would add value here would be as an adverbial modifier:

The movie, having been shown first, set the tone for the entire festival.

Here we're saying that the movie set the tone *as a result* of its being shown first, so the "having been" modifier makes sense.

Another troublesome usage looks like this:

I talked with a co-worker having a break at the same time that I was.

Here, "having" is used to introduce a noun modifier. In fact, everything after "having" is part of the noun modifier, and that's the problem! We can't say "I was" because there's no verb for "was" to refer back to. This is part of the general trouble the GMAT gets us into with -ing words--being, having, flourishing, doubling, etc. They can be used in many different ways, but readers often treat them incorrectly as verbs, when there are several other ways they can be used. Take a look:

1) Verb: Are you having a good time?
2) Noun: Having an MBA will improve my resume.
3) Noun modifier: The man having a heart attack was on the 7th floor.
4) Adverb: My daughter stayed in her room having a fit.

So there are lots of legitimate ways of using having, and we could create an identical list for other -ing words, but you're right to be nervous. The GMAT tends to use these words in trap answers. Don't cross off an answer just because you see -ing, but exercise caution and think about what purpose the word/phrase is serving. Also, "having" and "being" are probably more common in wrong answers than in right ones, so if you're left guessing, pick something else.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 277

Kudos [?]: 66 [1] , given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Use of "having been" or "having" in SC senctences.. [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2014, 20:30
This post received
KUDOS
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Use of "having been" or "having" in SC senctences..   [#permalink] 25 Aug 2014, 20:30