Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 06:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Use of Possessive Pronoun with Gerund-

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Sep 2010
Posts: 340
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 136

Use of Possessive Pronoun with Gerund- [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 04:04
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
Hi Experts,

Request you to please provide your reasoning on the below two sentences.

I know that the Rule is to use possessive pronoun with Gerunds, however I am confused how do you get to know if the noun phrase is being used as Gerund or Participle.

1) I appreciate you taking the time to read my novel
2) I appreciate your taking the time to read my novel


I know that sentence 2 is grammatically correct but the confusion is how do I make sure if I need to use possessive or not, and I would like to know the difference in the meanings between sentence 1 and 2 as well.

Please clarify.

Thanks
H

_________________

+1 Kudos me, Help me unlocking GMAT Club Tests

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2010
Posts: 463
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 17

Premium Member
Re: Use of Possessive Pronoun with Gerund- [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 04:14
I appreciate you taking the time to read my novel

this is wrong because the focus of the construction is the action--- your taking the time to read my novel--

but yes u can say :I appreciate you for taking the time to read my novel

Quote:
I know that the Rule is to use possessive pronoun with Gerunds


this is not always true
Expert Post
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Joined: 23 Dec 2010
Posts: 490
Location: United States
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 239

Kudos [?]: 812 [0], given: 82

Re: Use of Possessive Pronoun with Gerund- [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 04:33
Expert's post
imhimanshu wrote:
Hi Experts,

Request you to please provide your reasoning on the below two sentences.

I know that the Rule is to use possessive pronoun with Gerunds, however I am confused how do you get to know if the noun phrase is being used as Gerund or Participle.

1) I appreciate you taking the time to read my novel
2) I appreciate your taking the time to read my novel


I know that sentence 2 is grammatically correct but the confusion is how do I make sure if I need to use possessive or not, and I would like to know the difference in the meanings between sentence 1 and 2 as well.

Please clarify.

Thanks
H


Hi Himanshu,

In the first sentence "taking..." is modifying "you", i.e. it is acting as a participle; whereas; in the second sentence "taking..." is acting as a gerund phrase or simply a noun phrase. Grammatically both may be correct, but logically sentence 2 makes more sense.

1) I appreciate you taking the time to read my novel --> "you" is being appreciated
2) I appreciate your taking the time to read my novel --> "taking the time" is being appreciated

To check whether a phrase is a noun phrase, replace it with a simple noun.

e.g. I appreciate your book. or I appreciate your advise. or I appreciate your consideration.

Consider the following examples where both the usages are correct.

I appreciate Tom Cruise doing a great job as an actor. --> "doing" is modifying "Tom Cruise", hence it is acting as a participle. Moreover appreciation is for Tom Cruise

I appreciate Tom Cruise's acting. -->"acting" is a gerund or a noun. The appreciation is for "acting".

Hope this helps,

Vercules

_________________

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Sep 2010
Posts: 340
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 136

Re: Use of Possessive Pronoun with Gerund- [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 04:42
Quote:
Hi Himanshu,

In the first sentence "taking..." is modifying "you", i.e. it is acting as a participle; whereas; in the second sentence "taking..." is acting as a gerund phrase or simply a noun phrase. Grammatically both may be correct, but logically sentence 2 makes more sense.

1) I appreciate you taking the time to read my novel --> "you" is being appreciated
2) I appreciate your taking the time to read my novel --> "taking the time" is being appreciated

To check whether a phrase is a noun phrase, replace it with a simple noun.

e.g. I appreciate your book. or I appreciate your advise. or I appreciate your consideration.

Consider the following examples where both the usages are correct.

I appreciate Tom Cruise doing a great job as an actor. --> "doing" is modifying "Tom Cruise", hence it is acting as a participle. Moreover appreciation is for Tom Cruise

I appreciate Tom Cruise's acting. -->"acting" is a gerund or a noun. The appreciation is for "acting".

Hope this helps,

Vercules


Hi Vercules,
So, it all goes down to Logical Meaning i.e the Intent of the Main Sentence.Correct.

Thanks
Himanshu

_________________

+1 Kudos me, Help me unlocking GMAT Club Tests

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Sep 2010
Posts: 340
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 136

Re: Use of Possessive Pronoun with Gerund- [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 04:43
aditya8062 wrote:
[

this is not always true


Can you please provide explanation to it.

Thanks
H

_________________

+1 Kudos me, Help me unlocking GMAT Club Tests

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2010
Posts: 463
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 17

Premium Member
Re: Use of Possessive Pronoun with Gerund- [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 04:48
Quote:
Can you please provide explanation to it.


i saw him walking down the lane !!

look at the intent of the sentence :u actually saw him walking and not "his walking"
Re: Use of Possessive Pronoun with Gerund-   [#permalink] 28 Mar 2013, 04:48
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
3 Experts publish their posts in the topic GMAT Tuesdays: SC – Antecedents, Possessives, and Pronouns KevinRocci 8 25 Feb 2014, 10:24
Experts publish their posts in the topic "That" used with "of" creates a possessive pronoun sva2300 1 06 Sep 2013, 08:23
modifying phrases & possessive pronouns sarangadhar 1 16 Dec 2007, 00:14
Possessive Gerunds bmwhype2 6 30 Aug 2007, 20:09
it is fine to have a possessive pronoun precede the referent bmwhype2 8 28 Aug 2007, 10:57
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Use of Possessive Pronoun with Gerund-

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.