Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 20:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Useful skills in b-world that you won't learn in schools?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Useful skills in b-world that you won't learn in schools? [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2012, 06:13
Hi, I'm starting to form a plan to study for the GMAT and I don't plan on entering a program until roughly 3.5 years from now.

In the mean time I thought I could acquire skills that might be useful later on. So, I was wondering what some of you think are useful skills (whether you have them or want them) in the business world that traditionally aren't taught in college or MBA programs.

Maybe something even as simple as being able to hold a conversation that consists of more than small talk.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
WE: Other (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 35

Re: Useful skills in b-world that you won't learn in schools? [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 04:15
Abetron wrote:
Hi, I'm starting to form a plan to study for the GMAT and I don't plan on entering a program until roughly 3.5 years from now.

In the mean time I thought I could acquire skills that might be useful later on. So, I was wondering what some of you think are useful skills (whether you have them or want them) in the business world that traditionally aren't taught in college or MBA programs.

Maybe something even as simple as being able to hold a conversation that consists of more than small talk.

Invest some time in learning Excel. Mastering this tool will help you tremendously.

TH

Give me +1 Kudos if my post helped!

"Follow your passion. Change the world."

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Useful skills in b-world that you won't learn in schools? [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 18:57
I'd like to think I'm somewhat proficient with Excel. I work with it time to time. I can work most formulas and formats. Is there anything in particular you recommend on focusing?
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
WE: Other (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 35

Re: Useful skills in b-world that you won't learn in schools? [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2012, 06:24
Abetron wrote:
I'd like to think I'm somewhat proficient with Excel. I work with it time to time. I can work most formulas and formats. Is there anything in particular you recommend on focusing?

You must be good to do then! A good grasp of all the formulae, charting and little tricks such as ISNA, FIND, etc. should help a lot. If you have experience with creating balance sheets, business models and so on in excel, then I believe you are all set. :-D

TH

Give me +1 Kudos if my post helped!

"Follow your passion. Change the world."

Re: Useful skills in b-world that you won't learn in schools?   [#permalink] 20 Dec 2012, 06:24