Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 22:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Using a Doppler ultrasound device, fetal heartbeats can be

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

Using a Doppler ultrasound device, fetal heartbeats can be [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2007, 13:14
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

80% (01:40) correct 20% (00:27) wrong based on 12 sessions
Using a Doppler ultrasound device, fetal heartbeats can be detected by the twelfth week of pregnancy.
(A) Using a Doppler ultrasound device, fetal heartbeats can be detected by the twelfth week of pregnancy.
(B) Fetal heartbeats can be detected by the twelfth week of pregnancy, using a Doppler ultrasound device.
(C) Detecting fetal heartbeats by the twelfth week of pregnancy, a physician can use a Doppler ultrasound device.
(D) By the twelfth week of pregnancy, fetal heart-beats can be detected using a Doppler ultrasound device by a physician.
(E) Using a Doppler ultrasound device, a physician can detect fetal heartbeats by the twelfth week of pregnancy.

Please explain why (B) is wrong.

IMO, in (B), using a Doppler ultrasound device is modifying Fetal heartbeats, which means that (B) can also be rephrased as

Fetal heartbeats, using a Doppler ultrasound device, can be detected by the twelfth week of pregnancy.

In the above rephrased sentence, is Fetal heartbeats the subject or the object? Please clarify.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2007, 13:31
"E"

what's the OA.

E correctly modifies the physicans

A and B are just reversed and have an error to the what is being modified
c and d repeat the error
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 0

Re: SC 1000: Doppler ultrasound device [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2007, 14:02
Using a Doppler ultrasound device, fetal heartbeats can be detected by the twelfth week of pregnancy.[/b]
(A) Using a Doppler ultrasound device, fetal heartbeats can be detected by the twelfth week of pregnancy.
(B) Fetal heartbeats can be detected by the twelfth week of pregnancy, using a Doppler ultrasound device.
(C) Detecting fetal heartbeats by the twelfth week of pregnancy, a physician can use a Doppler ultrasound device.
(D) By the twelfth week of pregnancy, fetal heart-beats can be detected using a Doppler ultrasound device by a physician.
(E) Using a Doppler ultrasound device, a physician can detect fetal heartbeats by the twelfth week of pregnancy.

IMO, in (B), using a Doppler ultrasound device is modifying Fetal heartbeats, which means that (B) can also be rephrased as

Fetal heartbeats, using a Doppler ultrasound device, can be detected by the twelfth week of pregnancy.

The main reason B is wrong is that, the sentence is constructed in passive voice. From my reading, I remember that all of the choices can be correct but one will be the most correct. So never choose passive when there is alternative without passive among the choices.
Also, (B) Fetal heartbeats can be detected by the twelfth week of pregnancy BY using a Doppler ultrasound device
so the underlined BY is missing as well
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

Re: SC 1000: Doppler ultrasound device [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2007, 05:08
Ravshonbek wrote:
Using a Doppler ultrasound device, fetal heartbeats can be detected by the twelfth week of pregnancy.[/b]

The main reason B is wrong is that, the sentence is constructed in passive voice. From my reading, I remember that all of the choices can be correct but one will be the most correct. So never choose passive when there is alternative without passive among the choices.
Also, (B) Fetal heartbeats can be detected by the twelfth week of pregnancy BY using a Doppler ultrasound device

My understanding is that it is not a 'crime' to use passive voice in GMAT. ManhattanGMAT says: The reason for not using passive voice is that it tends to be wordy. It is usually used in technical and scientific passages/sentences. The above SC is surely a scientific SC. I am still looking for a convincing reason why answer choice (B) is incorrect although (E) is in active voice. Can someone please clarify my doubt? Thanks.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: SC 1000: Doppler ultrasound device [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2007, 05:29
eyunni wrote:
Ravshonbek wrote:

My understanding is that it is not a 'crime' to use passive voice in GMAT. ManhattanGMAT says: The reason for not using passive voice is that it tends to be wordy. It is usually used in technical and scientific passages/sentences. The above SC is surely a scientific SC. I am still looking for a convincing reason why answer choice (B) is incorrect although (E) is in active voice. Can someone please clarify my doubt? Thanks.

To me 'B' is incorrect for the following reasons

Using - an adverb should modify the verb 'detecting' and the independent clause 'using a dopler ultrasound device should have been next to the verb which it tries to modify.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 0

Re: SC 1000: Doppler ultrasound device [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2007, 09:22
eyunni wrote:
Using a Doppler ultrasound device, fetal heartbeats can be detected by the twelfth week of pregnancy.

In the above rephrased sentence, is Fetal heartbeats the subject or the object? Please clarify.

Clear E. B is incorrect b/c its passive. Who is detecting the fetal heartbeats??? The physician is.

C: wrong b/c distorts the meaning of the sentence. The awkwardness of this sentence should signal red flags as well.
D: has physician in it, but is incorrectly placed.

Ex/ Having eaten all the cakes, Jimmy felt stuffed. or

Having eaten all the cakes, feeling stuffed afterwards was Jimmy. Second is very awkward and wrong. Jimmy needs to be placed next to the modifier having eaten all the cakes.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Re: SC 1000: Doppler ultrasound device [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2007, 09:27
Answer is E..A and B are wrong...doesn't say who is using!! which is ambigous
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC 1000: Doppler ultrasound device [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2010, 17:18
wat about C? detecting modified a physician? doesnt this make sense???
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

Re: SC 1000: Doppler ultrasound device [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2011, 08:17
misplaced modifier straight E
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1703 [1] , given: 249

Premium Member
Re: SC 1000: Doppler ultrasound device [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2011, 09:00
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Whenever you see a participial modifier, especially an introductory one, then the first task is to ask who or what is doing that function in the modifier phrase; Here the relevant question is who is using the Doppler device. If you do not have an answer within the sentence, then the issue is a classic case of a dangling modifier and we are required to introduce the modified immediately after the comma that sets off the participial phase. I think this aspect of the passage has not been brought out in the discussion. I repeat this is a case of a dangling modifier, with the modified subject missing from the sentence. The physician can be an appropriate user of the Doppler device

B is essentially wrong because of missing the physician. By bringing in the physician, the dangling modifier has been sorted out in E. That is the correct choice.

Although C accommodates the physician, the order of using and detecting is illogically reversed. Hence C is wrong.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1299

Kudos [?]: 3677 [4] , given: 185

Re: Using a Doppler ultrasound device, fetal heartbeats can be [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2012, 07:45
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi,

Take a look at these sentences:

1. Wearing a designer outfit, Mary went to the party.

2. Arranging the books on the shelf, grandfather narrated a fairy tale to the children gathered in the room.

3. John decided to take his car to a garage, detecting problems in the engine.

4. The callers can avoid toll on home phones, using their mobile phones to make long-distance calls on weekends.

In all the above sentences, the verb-ing, either in the beginning of the IC or after the IC, modifies the doer of the action in the IC. If we use only the verb form of these verb-ing modifiers and rewrite every sentence in two simple sentences, then they would read:

1. Mary wore a designer outfit. She went to the party.

2. Grandfather arranged the books in the shelf. He narrated a fairy tale to the children.

3. John detected problems in the engine. He decided to take his car to a garage.

4. The callers can use their mobile phones to make long-distance calls on weekends. This way they can avoid toll charges on their home phones.

In a nutshell, the action shown through the verb-ing is performed by the doer of the IC. So we need a doer for that action denoted by the verb-ing.

Now let’s take the OG question answer choice B:
Fetal heartbeats can be detected by the twelfth week of pregnancy, using a Doppler ultrasound device.

Now let’s see if the action denoted by the verb-ing modifier in this sentence can be attributed to the subject of the IC or not.

Fetal heartbeats can use a Doppler ultrasound device. Fetal heartbeats can be detected this way. Does the first sentence even make sense? Obviously no. So the verb denoted by the verb-ing cannot be attributed to the subject of the IC we need a doer of that action. Hence this answer choice is incorrect.

Now let us take a look at the correct answer choice:
Using a Doppler ultrasound device, a physician can detect fetal heartbeats by the twelfth week of pregnancy.

Now let us repeat the same exercise:
A physician can use a Doppler ultrasound device. He can thus detect fetal heartbeats by the twelfth week of pregnancy.
Makes all the sense, right?

Hope this helps.
Shraddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 299 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Using a Doppler ultrasound device, fetal heartbeats can be [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2012, 03:16
@ egmat,
really a nice, organised n structured way of explaining problems...
+ 1 to u .....
thanx.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

SVP
SVP
Followers: 279

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Using a Doppler ultrasound device, fetal heartbeats can be [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2014, 00:39
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Using a Doppler ultrasound device, fetal heartbeats can be   [#permalink] 10 Jul 2014, 00:39