Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 11:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Using Club Tests Most Effectively

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Using Club Tests Most Effectively [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2011, 17:53
Just bought the Club Tests. It seems there are a million posts attesting to how great they are but I haven't found any threads that discuss how to use these tests most effectively (maybe they're out there and I'm just not seeing them?). I've got few specific questions below that I'd like answered. Of course other input from people who have ideas regarding how to most effectively use these tests are also appreciated.

Questions:

(1) Mean Time: If I click on the "View your Results" link my results are displayed. I just took Quantitative Test #1. I finished 29 questions in the 75 minutes. That works out to 155 seconds a question. However my mean time is listed as 121 seconds. How is mean time calculated? This is an important stat for me as right now I feel my Quant speed is my biggest hurdle.

(2) Club Test Time vs. GMAT Time: Club Tests are widely considered to be more challenging than the actual GMAT test. It therefore makes sense that they would take longer. Does anyone have any idea of how much longer? Should I aim to complete the Club Tests in the allotted time or should I not worry too much if I go over?

(3) Uniform Difficulty: Are the tests of uniform difficulty? If I take Club Test #1 and answer 29 questions correctly, then take test #2 and answer 30 questions correctly and Test #3 and answer 31 questions correctly, etc. am I making progress or are these tests not as finely calibrated for uniform difficulty? I'm guessing it's difficult to compare one test to the next but hoping someone could confirm.

(4) Scoring: At the end of each test I'm shown my percentile amongst other Club Test takers. Anyway to translate my raw score or percentile into approximate GMAT scores?

(5) Error Log: It seems all of my old test answers are saved and I can click on review incorrect to skip to the incorrect answers. This seems to be a very easy way to keep an Error Log. As long as I click on Keep Old Answers after clicking on a test my answers will be saved indefinitely, correct?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Using Club Tests Most Effectively [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2011, 18:45
Can only answer (3), but no, they're not of uniform difficulty.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 540 Q47 V19
GMAT 2: 610 Q46 V28
GPA: 3.86
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 86

GMAT Tests User
Re: Using Club Tests Most Effectively [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2011, 02:27
use GC math tests for practice. these are no CATs but are good for prac tougher questions.
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 84

Kudos [?]: 464 [0], given: 431

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Using Club Tests Most Effectively [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2011, 11:01
Expert's post
You ask some good questions, but it's better to just treat the GMATClub tests as problem practice rather than CAT practice. Learn as much as you can from these tests.

Questions 1 and 2:
These questions are very difficult and do take more time to complete compared to standard GMAT problems. Strict timing for most of these questions, then, might frustrate you. I'm not sure why, though, there is a discrepancy in your mean time.

Question 3:
The difficulty level is definitely not uniform; some are more challenging than others. But these are scattered throughout the tests.

Question 4:
The GMATClub tests are beyond the actual GMAT, so there probably isn't any reliable way to translate your scores. And don't worry about how your performance compares to others on these tests. Many just take the tests over and over, thus increasing their scores.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Using Club Tests Most Effectively   [#permalink] 04 Apr 2011, 11:01