Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 07:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Using computer techniques, researches analyze layers of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Using computer techniques, researches analyze layers of [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2008, 07:25
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (02:33) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 12 sessions
Using computer techniques, researches analyze layers of paint that lie buried beneath the surface layers of old paintings. They claim, for example, that additional mountainous scenery once appeared in Leonardo da Vinci’s Mona Lisa, which was later painted over. Skeptics reply to these claims, however, that X-ray examinations of the Mona Lisa do not show hidden mountains.

Which of the following, if true, would tend most to weaken the force of the skeptics’ objections?

(A) There is no written or anecdotal record that Leonardo da Vinci ever painted over major areas of his Mona Lisa.
(B) Painters of da Vinci’s time commonly created images of mountainous scenery in the backgrounds of portraits like Mona Lisa.
(C) No one knows for certain what parts of the Mona Lisa may have been painted by da Vinci’s assistants rather than by da Vinci himself.
(D) Infrared photography of the Mona Lisa has revealed no trace of hidden mountainous scenery.
(E) Analysis relying on X-rays only has the capacity to detect lead-white pigments in layers of paint beneath a painting’s surface layers.

Persistence+Patience+Persistence+Patience=G...O...A...L

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: CR 30:4/30 [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2008, 07:35
Quite difficult .... :|

but i will go with B .
as this only tends to weaken the skeptics argument .
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

Re: CR 30:4/30 [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2008, 08:06
I think here we have to prove that somehing wrong is with their x-ray technique that was used to determine that there was no mountains on the background.
B says that painters on DaVinci's time used to paint mountains scenery on the backgrounds of the paintings,but this doens't prove that this was the case with the Mona Lisa painting. And the skeptics theory would still hold because of the x-ray examination.
I think E is the answer. It's the only answer that talkes about x-ray and it's only ability to detect lead-white pigments under the painting layers.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR 30:4/30 [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2008, 09:08
moni77 wrote:
I think here we have to prove that somehing wrong is with their x-ray technique that was used to determine that there was no mountains on the background.
B says that painters on DaVinci's time used to paint mountains scenery on the backgrounds of the paintings,but this doens't prove that this was the case with the Mona Lisa painting. And the skeptics theory would still hold because of the x-ray examination.
I think E is the answer. It's the only answer that talkes about x-ray and it's only ability to detect lead-white pigments under the painting layers.

E for the same reason!

IE IMBA 2010

Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR 30:4/30 [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2008, 09:42
OA is E

Persistence+Patience+Persistence+Patience=G...O...A...L

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 27

Re: Using computer techniques, researches analyze layers of [#permalink] New post 23 May 2013, 14:37
I don't know how can you select E in this case as "lead-white pigments in layers of paint beneath a painting’s surface layers." is not mentioned anywhere in the stem.Who knows, what the composition of the paint is?

Even though it doesn't attack the x-ray theory,B seems like the most digestible answer.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 117

Kudos [?]: 1182 [0], given: 118

Premium Member
Re: Using computer techniques, researches analyze layers of [#permalink] New post 23 May 2013, 16:46
arkle wrote:
I don't know how can you select E in this case as "lead-white pigments in layers of paint beneath a painting’s surface layers." is not mentioned anywhere in the stem.Who knows, what the composition of the paint is?

Even though it doesn't attack the x-ray theory,B seems like the most digestible answer.

Hi arkle

Technically, to weaken an argument, you should attack the conclusion, not premises. What is the conclusion here? There's no mountainous scenery in the background of Mona Lisa, because X-ray examinations of the Mona Lisa do not show hidden mountains.

To weaken the conclusion, you just have to show that X-ray examinations do not have reliable results in the Mona Lisa case.

(A) There is no written or anecdotal record that Leonardo da Vinci ever painted over major areas of his Mona Lisa.
Wrong. Out of scope.

(B) Painters of da Vinci’s time commonly created images of mountainous scenery in the backgrounds of portraits like Mona Lisa.
Wrong. The fact that painters of da Vinci's time often created images of mountainous scenery in the background of painting does not mean Da Vinci did the same [created a mountainous scenery]. This is a very classical flaw, for example: A plays soccer because all friends of A play soccer. It's wrong.

(C) No one knows for certain what parts of the Mona Lisa may have been painted by da Vinci’s assistants rather than by da Vinci himself.
Wrong. Out of scope.

(D) Infrared photography of the Mona Lisa has revealed no trace of hidden mountainous scenery.
Wrong. Out of scope

(E) Analysis relying on X-rays only has the capacity to detect lead-white pigments in layers of paint beneath a painting’s surface layers.
Correct. First of all, do not try to define what "lead-white pigments" is. The definition does not help. Also, GMAT never question you about terminologies or definition.

I will rewrite the sentence: Analysis relying on X-rays only has the capacity to detect "pigment A" in layers of paint beneath a painting’s surface layers.
What if Da Vinci used "pigment B" to paint the mountainous scenery.

Hence, E is correct.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Using computer techniques, researches analyze layers of [#permalink] New post 23 May 2013, 19:13
pqhai wrote:
arkle wrote:

Hi arkle

Technically, to weaken an argument, you should attack the conclusion, not premises. What is the conclusion here? There's no mountainous scenery in the background of Mona Lisa, because X-ray examinations of the Mona Lisa do not show hidden mountains.

To weaken the conclusion, you just have to show that X-ray examinations do not have reliable results in the Mona Lisa case.

Wrong. Out of scope.

Wrong. The fact that painters of da Vinci's time often created images of mountainous scenery in the background of painting does not mean Da Vinci did the same [created a mountainous scenery]. This is a very classical flaw, for example: A plays soccer because all friends of A play soccer. It's wrong.

Wrong. Out of scope.

Wrong. Out of scope

Correct. First of all, do not try to define what "lead-white pigments" is. The definition does not help. Also, GMAT never question you about terminologies or definition.

I will rewrite the sentence: Analysis relying on X-rays only has the capacity to detect "pigment A" in layers of paint beneath a painting’s surface layers.
What if Da Vinci used "pigment B" to paint the mountainous scenery.

Hence, E is correct.

Hope it helps.

nice explaination..!! I did not think of pigment B reasoning....To me E looked more relevent than other options....
VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 250 [0], given: 67

Re: Using computer techniques, researches analyze layers of [#permalink] New post 23 May 2013, 20:00
Good question!!!

Answer must be E. For the same reason, what my peers are doing does not proves that same things i ll do.

Consider kudos if my post helps!!!

Archit
Re: Using computer techniques, researches analyze layers of   [#permalink] 23 May 2013, 20:00