Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 20:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Using LSAT CR Questions for GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 307 [0], given: 190

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Using LSAT CR Questions for GMAT [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2012, 12:08
I am planning to use LSAT Logical Reasoning a.k.a Critical Reasoning problems to supplement my GMAT practice.
Have a query though ?

The LSAT CR features many question type that are not found on the GMAT : parallel reasoning, two speakers, flaw in the reasoning, formal logic. Would it be counter productive and confusing to practice these LSAT questions ? Should I cherry pick the Strengthen, Weaken, Assumption question from LSAT and focus on them instead.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 294

Kudos [?]: 455 [2] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Using LSAT CR Questions for GMAT [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2012, 15:43
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
LSAT prep is an excellent way to prepare you for both the Critical Reasoning and the Reading Comprehension section. That said you are wise to skip over those questions that are not found on the GMAT, e.g., formal logic, parallel reasoning.

Interestingly, two speaker questions, while very rare, could show up on the GMAT. So your strategy is best: go ahead and cherry pick the GMAT question types. And don't forget to use LSAT RC as well--those passages should make the ones you encounter test day that much easier.

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 82

GMAT Tests User
Re: Using LSAT CR Questions for GMAT [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2012, 02:40
In my opinion, if you need to take LSAT test, of course.... If not, I think that other materials are enough for a great score (OG,MGMAT...) because LSAT is more difficult than GMAT. However, if you have enough time to prepare, LSAT will be a good aid.

Kudos!!!... If you think I help you in some ways....

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: INSEAD '14
GMAT Date: 08-15-2012
GPA: 3.57
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 17

Re: Using LSAT CR Questions for GMAT [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2012, 06:08
AbhiJ wrote:
I am planning to use LSAT Logical Reasoning a.k.a Critical Reasoning problems to supplement my GMAT practice.
Have a query though ?

The LSAT CR features many question type that are not found on the GMAT : parallel reasoning, two speakers, flaw in the reasoning, formal logic. Would it be counter productive and confusing to practice these LSAT questions ? Should I cherry pick the Strengthen, Weaken, Assumption question from LSAT and focus on them instead.

If you're already amazing at verbal, there's no harm in sharpening your skills with LSAT questions. If you're still building your reasoning skills, however, maybe you should exhaust all the MGMAT + OG questions first?

I used the Powerscore LSAT LR Bible to prep for CR because I couldn't find the CR Bible. It's pretty thorough and amazing. Then I finally got my hands on the CR Bible. The Powerscore editors just replaced the word "LSAT" with "GMAT", took out the sections you mentioned, and spewed out the CR Bible. If you got both books, you'd be a silly billy.

Again, don't waste time on LSAT material unless or until you've exhausted all your other sources.

Life with the GMAT:

Jerome: Ben, c'est 20 secondes de plus qu'hier sur le meme parcours! C'etait bien le meme parcours la, non?!
Gigi: Mais t'enerve pas, Jerome, je crois que t'as accroche une porte.
Jerome: *$&#(*%&(*#%&

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1073

Kudos [?]: 4781 [1] , given: 163

Re: Using LSAT CR Questions for GMAT [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2012, 08:26
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
AbhiJ wrote:
Have a query though ?

I think you are getting into unnecessary trouble. Until and unless you want to go through CR for the sake of 'learning CR', go ahead and use whatever material you like. If instead, you want to spend time preparing for GMAT, use GMAT material. The work of cherry picking and making it suitable for GMAT has already been done by the experts in this field. Why do you want to waste your time and effort doing it again... There is more than enough of GMAT material for you to keep working on it for months.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 307 [0], given: 190

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Using LSAT CR Questions for GMAT [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2012, 12:32
I have completed OG 12 CR problems twice, with around 90% accuracy. One of my friend who recently gave GMAT said that only the last 30 CR problems are reflective of the actual GMAT. I am good at quant and believe that can nail down CR. Hence looking for another resource. I was considering buying Veritas Prep CR books. However some private tutors suggest only official sources :GMAC/LSAC. This is reason for my confusion.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: INSEAD '14
GMAT Date: 08-15-2012
GPA: 3.57
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 17

Re: Using LSAT CR Questions for GMAT [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2012, 15:56
AbhiJ wrote:
I have completed OG 12 CR problems twice, with around 90% accuracy. One of my friend who recently gave GMAT said that only the last 30 CR problems are reflective of the actual GMAT. I am good at quant and believe that can nail down CR. Hence looking for another resource. I was considering buying Veritas Prep CR books. However some private tutors suggest only official sources :GMAC/LSAC. This is reason for my confusion.

All of the problems in the OGs are reflective of the actual GMAT because they're legit, retired GMAT questions. I understand that they're ordered by difficulty but they're also the best practice you'll get if you want "official" questions. Did you do all of them? Have you gotten the OG Verbal Review and done those questions as well? If so, have you looked at MGMAT at all? Their questions/CATs are very faithful to the GMAT format.

At the end of the day, there's really no harm in prepping for the GMAT using sources meant for another exam. Just remind yourself you would be essentially studying for 1/3 of the LSAT and 1/7 of the GMAT.

Life with the GMAT:

Jerome: Ben, c'est 20 secondes de plus qu'hier sur le meme parcours! C'etait bien le meme parcours la, non?!
Gigi: Mais t'enerve pas, Jerome, je crois que t'as accroche une porte.
Jerome: *$&#(*%&(*#%&

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2219

Kudos [?]: 8208 [0], given: 3641

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Using LSAT CR Questions for GMAT [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2012, 22:21
Expert's post
Also see this thread by Bmillan: lsat-books-for-gmat-verbal-prep-97191.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 550 Q47 V20
GPA: 3.74
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 50

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Using LSAT CR Questions for GMAT [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2012, 08:50
I finished all the unique question in OG 10 thru 13 and Verbal 2nd edition. I revised OG 12 once and will revise OG 13 soon. I was looking for some materials that I can depend on, i.e. that are close to the official material. The reason for choosing LSAT material is best summarized by Jeff Sackmann:

Quote:
Kaplan materials do a great job of training you to answer Kaplan questions, but for many students, that doesn't translate to the exam itself!

I started working on the LSAT questions, both RC and CR, without discriminating any question type. However, recently I came across a book by Triciela that contains the question grouped by type. I am planning to work on the questions from this book.

My overall impression is that these are very good questions. I find the RC questions not so complicated though. IMO, since LSAT has less time than GMAT to finish an RC, most of the questions are not very complicated.

Kudos is the best way to say Thank you.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Using LSAT CR Questions for GMAT [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2012, 21:15
i am also planning to buy this LSAT CR book "grouped by type" from traciela .

What is the difference between Necessary assumption and Sufficient assumption?
GMAT will test on which one of the above ?
i am guessing on Necessary Assumption.
What are your thoughts experts
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Using LSAT CR Questions for GMAT [#permalink] New post 08 May 2012, 20:17
Quote:

AbhiJ, you may look at this thread where David Newland from Veritas discusses about the LSAT CR and how you should plan on working on those , very useful

http://www.beatthegmat.com/using-the-ls ... 66548.html
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: ISB '16
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 304

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Using LSAT CR Questions for GMAT [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2014, 20:41
Hi Guys,

Since I got this doc from GC, I am practicing from it.

However, I have a doubt that does this doc has GMAT prep questions or not?

I want to clarify this because I don't want to see the questions in this doc in my mocks(GMATPreps).

Please advise !

Rgds,
TGC!
Attachments

GMAT_LSAT_CR.doc [5.38 MiB]
Downloaded 20 times

To download please login or register as a user

Rgds,
TGC!

Re: Using LSAT CR Questions for GMAT   [#permalink] 10 Apr 2014, 20:41