Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:33 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72859 [25]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 60
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 696 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4467 [3]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Re: Using modern radio-carbon techniques, fossils unearthed from [#permalink]
Kudos
vishu1414 wrote:
Any suggestion Why B can't be ?

I somehow find this "accurately with near zero chances of error" awkward

The issue with B is:
1) Who is the doer of the action? Nowhere its mentioned that "who" is using the techniques.

Whereas E uses an active speech, mentioning the "scientists" as the subject performing the actions.

IMO its a 620-ish question.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [1]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Send PM
Kudos
The problem is testing initial modifier. The doer of the action(Using modern radio-carbon techniques) is missing.
IMO, yes it is sub 600 level as the concept tested is very common and mechanical.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 982
Send PM
Kudos
"with near zero chances of error"

why is chances plural and this sounds really weird. can an expert opine on whether this is correct english? I would suggest "with A near zero CHANCE of error"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 459 [3]
Given Kudos: 173
Send PM
Using modern radio-carbon techniques, fossils unearthed from [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Answer choice E

Initial modifier, in this case "Using", should correctly modify "Scientists".

Only Choice E, does that.

For excellent clarity on Initial Modifiers, I highly recommend Ron Purewal's, Manhattan prep studyhall video from 12th May 2011 ( great coincidence, exactly 7 years ago!!)

Thanks,
Gym

Originally posted by GyMrAT on 11 May 2018, 11:01.
Last edited by GyMrAT on 12 Jun 2018, 01:29, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 481 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
A- it conveys fossils using radio carbon technique
Fossils can't use them , scientist can so A is out

D is out for same reason as A

B- it conveys fossils unearthed result in radio carbon technique with zero error
Not intended meaning so out

Between choices C and E
C- scientist dating fossils can use radio carbon technique

E-using radio carbon technique scientist can date fossils with zero error

E is better than C as it conveys intended meaning and using correctly modifies scientist in choice E

So E is answer

Give kudos for answer

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Only scientists can use the technique so not has to be between C and E

Christmas compromises the meaning so it's E.

I agree that it's sub 600
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Send PM
Hi ,
Here in option A we have no information who has done the work and also emphasis is in Fossils in passive voice.
A is definitely incorrect as fossils cannot use techniques to date themselves.
My doubt is:
1)As per OA which E we have scientists in that option how we know scientists have done that. There is no one-one mapping they can be archaeologists etc.
2)Having said that, I think B should be correct answer as it emphasizes on fossils and replicated A with removing errors of modifier i.e, fossils unearthed by using modern techniques
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
Using modern radio-carbon techniques, fossils unearthed from the ruins of the Mohenjodaro-Harappa civilization can be accurately dated with near zero chances of error.

A. Using modern radio-carbon techniques, fossils unearthed from the ruins of the Mohenjodaro-Harappa civilization can be accurately dated with near zero chances of error.

B. Fossils unearthed from the ruins of the Mohenjodaro-Harappa civilization can be accurately dated, using modern radio-carbon techniques with near zero chances of error.

C. Dating fossils unearthed from the ruins of Mohenjodaro-Harappa civilization accurately, scientists can use modern radio-carbon techniques.

D. Using modern radio-carbon techniques, fossils unearthed from the ruins of Mohenjodaro-Harappa civilization can be accurately dated by a scientist with near zero chances of error.

E. Using modern radio-carbon technique, scientists can date fossils unearthed from the ruins of Mohenjodaro-Harappa civilization accurately with near zero chances of error.

In this though Option E looks to be grammatically correct compared to others. But this option adds "scientists" who would use this techniques for dating, whereas original sentence just provide general info and doesn't talk about who would do this. SO I see there is a change in meaning.

WOuld someone pls clarify how we can opt for option E when it changes the meaning or original sentence itself.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Expert Reply
abhik1502 wrote:
In this though Option E looks to be grammatically correct compared to others. But this option adds "scientists" who would use this techniques for dating, whereas original sentence just provide general info and doesn't talk about who would do this. SO I see there is a change in meaning.

WOuld someone pls clarify how we can opt for option E when it changes the meaning or original sentence itself.

Hey abhik1502 ,

The rule is simple. You need to understand that Meaning change is NOT ALLOWED whenever you have an answer choice which is both grammatically and logically correct. But if you don't have any such answer choice, you can get to a right answer that changes the meaning.

Does that make sense?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Using modern radio-carbon techniques, fossils unearthed from [#permalink]
Thanks a lot for the reply abhimahna !
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1600 [0]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
bb wrote:
Using modern radio-carbon techniques, fossils unearthed from the ruins of the Mohenjodaro-Harappa civilization can be accurately dated with near zero chances of error.

A. Using modern radio-carbon techniques, fossils unearthed from the ruins of the Mohenjo Daro-Harappa civilization can be accurately dated with near zero chances of error.

B. Fossils unearthed from the ruins of the Mohenjo Daro-Harappa civilization can be accurately dated, using modern radio-carbon techniques with near zero chances of error. "scientists missing"

C. Dating fossils unearthed from the ruins of Mohenjodaro-Harappa civilization accurately, scientists can use modern radio-carbon techniques.

D. Using modern radio-carbon techniques, fossils unearthed from the ruins of Mohenjodaro-Harappa civilization can be accurately dated by a scientist with near zero chances of error.

E. Using modern radiocarbon technique, scientists can date fossils unearthed from the ruins of Mohenjodaro-Harappa civilization accurately with near zero chances of error.

Only E is error free.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Send PM
All the experts out there ,

egmat , daagh , mikemcgarry , Bunuel

Isn't "Meaning" of utmost importance in GMAT SC? I was of the belief that in worst scenarios , we could compromise on grammar but never on our meaning .

I am of the opinion C,D,E are outright wrong as they introduce a new Do-er "Scientists".
Option B, though awkward, presents the intended meaning correcting the modifier error from option A.

It uses a passive voice and the Verb-ing modifier after the comma represents the action of the preceding clause and not the result of it.

Am I missing anything?

Also , Please explain if it is OK to add a new Do-er (Even archaeologists could have used the technique and not the scientists) in the correct answer choice when the nature of the doer is unknown in choice A.

Thanks much in advance!,
Cheers
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sushil_Sali15 wrote:
All the experts out there ,

Isn't "Meaning" of utmost importance in GMAT SC? I was of the belief that in worst scenarios , we could compromise on grammar but never on our meaning .

I am of the opinion C,D,E are outright wrong as they introduce a new Do-er "Scientists".
Option B, though awkward, presents the intended meaning correcting the modifier error from option A.

It uses a passive voice and the Verb-ing modifier after the comma represents the action of the preceding clause and not the result of it.

Am I missing anything?

Also , Please explain if it is OK to add a new Do-er (Even archaeologists could have used the technique and not the scientists) in the correct answer choice when the nature of the doer is unknown in choice A.

Thanks much in advance!,
Cheers

Hey Sushil_Sali15 ,

Did you get a chance to look at the explanation I have given here?

Yes, it is okay to add a new doer if you don't have any option that is grammatically correct, provided your new doer makes sense with the overall meaning of the sentence.

Does that make sense?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Send PM
Hi abhimahna ,

Could you please help me understand why choice B is wrong ? None of the other replies talk about it specifically.

"Scientists" missing cant be a deterministic error right, when the nature of Doer isn't known and when we want to focus on the action done, Passive voice could be used as is done by choice B.

Appreciate your time!
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sushil_Sali15 wrote:
Hi abhimahna ,

Could you please help me understand why choice B is wrong ? None of the other replies talk about it specifically.

"Scientists" missing cant be a deterministic error right, when the nature of Doer isn't known and when we want to focus on the action done, Passive voice could be used as is done by choice B.

Appreciate your time!

Hey Sushil_Sali15 ,

B is wrong for the incorrect usage of "Comma, ING" rule.

Whenever you have an ing modifier after the comma, it means you are either telling the result of the previous clause or modifying the entire previous clause. But that is not the intention here. "using XYZ..." should modify the doer who is using those tools.

Does that make sense?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM

Here the modifier "Using modern radio-carbon techniques" refers to scientists.
This eliminates A, B, C, D.

Correct choice: E.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
bb wrote:

A. Using modern radio-carbon techniques, fossils unearthed from the ruins of the Mohenjodaro-Harappa civilization can be accurately dated with near zero chances of error.

B. Fossils unearthed from the ruins of the Mohenjodaro-Harappa civilization can be accurately dated, using modern radio-carbon techniques with near zero chances of error.

E. Using modern radio-carbon technique, scientists can date fossils unearthed from the ruins of Mohenjodaro-Harappa civilization accurately with near zero chances of error.

What do you think about this question? Is it really sub 600 level?
Thanks!

Even if answer choice E being correct interns of modifier, how come only 'mohenjodaro- harappa' correct . should not be ' the' before it.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts