Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 10:40

Flash Sale:

The Economist GMAT Tutor - 15% Off All Courses

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Using new detection techniques, researchers have found

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 29

Using new detection techniques, researchers have found [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 03:03
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

80% (02:58) correct 20% (01:31) wrong based on 45 sessions
Hello All,

I'm looking at this question:

-------------
Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

Using new detection techniques, researchers have found trace amounts of various medicinal substances in lakes and rivers. Taken in large quantities, these substances could have serious health effects, but they are present in quantities far too low to cause any physiological response in people who drink the water or bathe in it. Nevertheless, medical experts contend that eliminating these trace amounts from the water will have public health benefits, since ____________.

(A)

some of the medicinal substances found in lakes and rivers are harmless to humans in large quantities

(B)

some of the medicinal substances found in lakes and rivers can counteract possible harmful effects of other such substances found there

(C)

people who develop undesirable side effects when being treated with medicines that contain these substances generally have their treatment changed

(D)

most medicinal substances that reach lakes or rivers rapidly break down into harmless substances

(E)

disease-causing bacteria exposed to low concentrations of certain medicinal substances can become resistant to them

We are essentially looking for an answer that favours the removal of such medicinal substances.

I saw (C) and (E) as such examples. However, why would E be considered a stronger choice than C?

Thanks for all your help.

Best Greetings.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 655 [0], given: 116

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Using new detection techniques, researchers have found [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 03:09
The argument only speaks about the effects of the medicine present in the water. Option C speaks about the medicines used when treating patients. Hence it is completely out of scope. It only creates an illusion of staying close to the argument by using similar words.

E speaks directly about low concentrations of the medicine. The argument says that the medicine found in the water supply is of low concentration. So E stays close to the argument. Hence E is the right answer.

Kudos Please... If my post helped.

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Re: Using new detection techniques, researchers have found   [#permalink] 29 Oct 2012, 03:09