Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 06:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Using Opt. Essay to Explain 3.371 GPA and Dropped Course?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Using Opt. Essay to Explain 3.371 GPA and Dropped Course? [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2006, 11:17
Greetings,

Would using the optional essay to explain a 3.371 cumulative GPA in my undergrad years (Majored in Computer Science) look bad/arrogant?

I truly feel I could have done better (lacked decent study habits early on in college, GPA after freshman year was a bit better - 3.45), and also realize that my GPA is lower than Wharton's average of 3.5.

Also - will be using the optional essay to explain a dropped course.

Thanks in advance and good luck to all R1 applicants!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1532 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2006, 11:41
A 3.371 doesnt warrant an explanation in my mind. Nor would a single dropped course. Also, just call it a 3.37.... no need to go out three decimals.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 423 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2006, 13:15
I agree with Rhyme. It's really close enough to the average - at most you might point out that your school is competitive and high grades are tough to achieve (if that's the case of course). A single dropped course means nothing (it wasn't an incomplete or something right?) If your GMAT is average or above for your cohort, your grades are fine. If your GMAT is below average (meaning GPA & GMAT both below Wharton's average), you will have a tough time of it - simply because Wharton gets so many qualified applicants.

If you are looking to get into Wharton, you have other fish to fry and you really shouldn't waste time on a non-issue like this. I don't think it would show arrogance, I think it would show a lack of judgment.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2006, 13:26
I think I am leaning towards what you guys are saying. I did manage to get a 740 on the GMAT, so that should help.

As far as the dropped course, it shows up as a W (Withdrawn). My only issue is that I dropped it one day after the W deadline (had I dropped it one day before, it wouldn't have shown on the transcript. Yeah, I was a bit dumb for doing that!). So do you guys think I should explain it?

Thanks guys!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1532 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2006, 17:18
batchgmat wrote:
I think I am leaning towards what you guys are saying. I did manage to get a 740 on the GMAT, so that should help.

As far as the dropped course, it shows up as a W (Withdrawn). My only issue is that I dropped it one day after the W deadline (had I dropped it one day before, it wouldn't have shown on the transcript. Yeah, I was a bit dumb for doing that!). So do you guys think I should explain it?

Thanks guys!

No, I wouldnt bother. It's one course. If you had withdrawn from an entire quarter for some reason, then yes I'd say explain it. But a single course could be anything - a change in demands, a realization you needed additional work, whatever. I doubt itll raise any eyebrows.
  [#permalink] 08 Oct 2006, 17:18