Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 08:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

UVA vs Duke vs Emory

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 40

UVA vs Duke vs Emory [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2013, 10:45
Hey guys, I'm looking at my round two schools and trying to find out where I should apply. I've done a lot of research but I'd love to hear from some other perspectives

My background:
27 y/o at matriculation w/ 4 years financial advisor experience at a very good firm, albeit on the retail level. I do a lot of public speaking, have management experience, and very strong recommendations.
740 GMAT (48q/44v)
3.11 GPA (bachelors of business administration in Finance from a state university ranked 40-60)
Decreasing GPA (3.45 GPA fresh/sophomore, 2.75 gpa junior/senior), but it was caused by starting my own company my junior and senior year. All A's in my math classes (stat/calc)
I developed an alternate transcript with two classes from UCLA in person, Financial Statement Analysis and Financial Risk management, and earned As in both... because they're high level business/finance classes I hope it'll go a long way.

My goal is to go into corporate strategy or corporate finance, but not as a consultant. I'm looking at rotational leadership programs, and hoping to use my knowledge of finance, my knowledge of consumers, and my public speaking experience to help me make the transition.

So far, I've applied to Wharton and University of Chicago... both are long reaches for me, but I really really liked University of Chicago's finance-leaning program, and they're really pushing to develop their corp strategy as well.

For my more realistic schools, I'm looking at schools that are OK with lower GPAs, but that will also get me to where I want to go, so I'm looking hard at the following:

Duke / Fuqua: strong consulting focus, strong strategy programs, placed 10% of their class in rotational leadership programs

Emory / Goizueta: I'm from Atlanta, and if I want to go to a regional school, I'd love that region to be back in my hometown where I'm networked.

UVA / Darden: This seems like a great overall program, but it has been hard for me to discover what their true specialty is. They seem to place people in all kinds of different positions.

UT / McCombs: I love Texas, and the salary numbers coming out of this school are very impressive... if I can't get a job in a rotational leadership position, being an energy trader would be just as cool (if not more so).... although I know that that would be even more difficult.

I'm also open to other suggestions, with the one caveat that I have a very large dog, so living in NYC is out. This is a real shame, because both NYU and Columbia both seem to care a lot more about the GMAT than the GPA, and both are also very heavily integrated with my current firm and banking/finance in general.

I also cannot go the usual route and do a couple of years in management consulting because i can't be away from home for five days every week. I have no problem working 100 hours a week, I just need to be able to let my dog out once a day.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated :) And no, I will not give up my dog to live in NYC ;)

What are your thoguhts on the differences between UVA, Duke, and Emory?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: UVA vs Duke vs Emory [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2013, 17:13
Expert's post
I think you are spot on in most of your assessments. My guess it that Duke and UVa probably have slightly broader geographic footprints in the pool of companies that come on campus to recruit. Your assessment of Darden is pretty good -- the well-roundedness is what they pride themselves on (full case method, etc.)

Where do you live now? And do you care / have areas of focus of where you want to live when you are done with school?

-Brian

Brian Lange | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | North Carolina

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Manager
Manager

Re: UVA vs Duke vs Emory [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2013, 18:03
I live in los angeles right now, but I'd like to end up in either Atlanta or Charlotte. I'm originally from Atlanta.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 628

Premium Member
Re: UVA vs Duke vs Emory [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2013, 20:47
I think you're spot-on with your assessment of your odds and of Emory, Duke, and UVA.

Duke and UVA are both fantastic programs and can get you back to Atlanta. Emory is also a great regional choice if you're sure you want to be in Atlanta and don't mind less access to McKinsey, Bain, BCG (doesn't sound like an issue here). For what it's worth, I got into Fuqua, but never applied to Emory or Darden.
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: UVA vs Duke vs Emory [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2013, 06:12
Expert's post
I think you'd be in a good spot with all three -- also, recognize that you'll have a different 'type' of search than many of your peers. Not bad, just different. When geography is a bigger focus -- it causes you to approach the search w/ a slightly different orientation. (i.e. You aren't going to spend time talking to P&G -- b/c you are never moving to Cincinnati (just an example.)) you know what I mean?

All three schools will set you up well here.

Brian Lange | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | North Carolina

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 328 [1] , given: 19

Premium Member
Re: UVA vs Duke vs Emory [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2013, 18:12
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
dave785 wrote:
Hey guys, I'm looking at my round two schools and trying to find out where I should apply. I've done a lot of research but I'd love to hear from some other perspectives

My background:
27 y/o at matriculation w/ 4 years financial advisor experience at a very good firm, albeit on the retail level. I do a lot of public speaking, have management experience, and very strong recommendations.
740 GMAT (48q/44v)
3.11 GPA (bachelors of business administration in Finance from a state university ranked 40-60)
Decreasing GPA (3.45 GPA fresh/sophomore, 2.75 gpa junior/senior), but it was caused by starting my own company my junior and senior year. All A's in my math classes (stat/calc)
I developed an alternate transcript with two classes from UCLA in person, Financial Statement Analysis and Financial Risk management, and earned As in both... because they're high level business/finance classes I hope it'll go a long way.

My goal is to go into corporate strategy or corporate finance, but not as a consultant. I'm looking at rotational leadership programs, and hoping to use my knowledge of finance, my knowledge of consumers, and my public speaking experience to help me make the transition.

So far, I've applied to Wharton and University of Chicago... both are long reaches for me, but I really really liked University of Chicago's finance-leaning program, and they're really pushing to develop their corp strategy as well.

For my more realistic schools, I'm looking at schools that are OK with lower GPAs, but that will also get me to where I want to go, so I'm looking hard at the following:

Duke / Fuqua: strong consulting focus, strong strategy programs, placed 10% of their class in rotational leadership programs

Emory / Goizueta: I'm from Atlanta, and if I want to go to a regional school, I'd love that region to be back in my hometown where I'm networked.

UVA / Darden: This seems like a great overall program, but it has been hard for me to discover what their true specialty is. They seem to place people in all kinds of different positions.

UT / McCombs: I love Texas, and the salary numbers coming out of this school are very impressive... if I can't get a job in a rotational leadership position, being an energy trader would be just as cool (if not more so).... although I know that that would be even more difficult.

I'm also open to other suggestions, with the one caveat that I have a very large dog, so living in NYC is out. This is a real shame, because both NYU and Columbia both seem to care a lot more about the GMAT than the GPA, and both are also very heavily integrated with my current firm and banking/finance in general.

I also cannot go the usual route and do a couple of years in management consulting because i can't be away from home for five days every week. I have no problem working 100 hours a week, I just need to be able to let my dog out once a day.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated :) And no, I will not give up my dog to live in NYC ;)

What are your thoughts on the differences between UVA, Duke, and Emory?

Before you decide on the school, research into which company's LDP you want to pursue. There's a good thread (sticky) in the career section about this. Not all LDPs are created equal. I am currently the recruiting lead for my LDP, which I would classify as top tier (maybe a bit bias here). Looking from the inside, it takes A LOT to get hired from a "non-core" school. It doesn't matter how prestigious the "non-core" school is.

Diversity

Manager
Manager

Re: UVA vs Duke vs Emory [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2013, 11:39
Good point! Thank you, kudos