Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:03 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618905 [1]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618905 [1]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: V01-23 [#permalink]
I think this is a poor-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. The explanation for the B answer incorrectly states that whose is only for beings capable of making decisions. Whose can be used for both people and things.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51449 [2]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Mechmeera wrote:
I feel city is metaphorical location and where is not preferred.
Also OE says that whose is not correct here.
can someone explain?

Hi

What do you mean by a "metaphorical location"?

I am going to go ahead and post Stacy's thoughts on this one which makes the confusion between whose and where clearer.

Quote:
"whose" is the possessive form of a relative pronoun ("who" is the subjective form). Possessive implies ownership - specifically the noun before owns whatever is after the "whose." "The dog whose tail is wagging is happy to see you." The dog owns the wagging tail. Would it make sense to say that the city "owns" stagnating economic growth? Not exactly - so don't use "whose" here. Eliminate B and D.

A and C have two main differences: the comma (or absence thereof) and "stagnated" vs. "stagnant. This is where I don't like this question much, because I don't think the real GMAT would have these two choices together.

First, A uses a comma after city, so it's telling us that the stuff after city is a nonessential modifier. C doesn't use the comma, so it's saying that the stuff after city is an essential modifier. You can write this either way; it just depends what the sentence is trying to say. Judgment call - and we're supposed to go with the original meaning when there are two possible meanings. So go with nonessential. And as soon as you realize that, the problem is over, because only A preserves the original meaning. Not GMAT-like.

Second, "stagnated" is too obviously wrong. This isn't an idiom issue - they're just making up a word that might be a more common non-native speaker mistake (because the general rule for present perfect is has/have been + past participle, the most common form of which ends in -ed).
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:
Mechmeera wrote:
I feel city is metaphorical location and where is not preferred.
Also OE says that whose is not correct here.
can someone explain?

Hi

What do you mean by a "metaphorical location"?

I am going to go ahead and post Stacy's thoughts on this one which makes the confusion between whose and where clearer.

Quote:
"whose" is the possessive form of a relative pronoun ("who" is the subjective form). Possessive implies ownership - specifically the noun before owns whatever is after the "whose." "The dog whose tail is wagging is happy to see you." The dog owns the wagging tail. Would it make sense to say that the city "owns" stagnating economic growth? Not exactly - so don't use "whose" here. Eliminate B and D.

A and C have two main differences: the comma (or absence thereof) and "stagnated" vs. "stagnant. This is where I don't like this question much, because I don't think the real GMAT would have these two choices together.

First, A uses a comma after city, so it's telling us that the stuff after city is a nonessential modifier. C doesn't use the comma, so it's saying that the stuff after city is an essential modifier. You can write this either way; it just depends what the sentence is trying to say. Judgment call - and we're supposed to go with the original meaning when there are two possible meanings. So go with nonessential. And as soon as you realize that, the problem is over, because only A preserves the original meaning. Not GMAT-like.

Second, "stagnated" is too obviously wrong. This isn't an idiom issue - they're just making up a word that might be a more common non-native speaker mistake (because the general rule for present perfect is has/have been + past participle, the most common form of which ends in -ed).

I felt since city did not specify any particular place whose presence has been assumed, it may be metaphorical place according below info from MGMAT SC book.

Quote:
The pronoun where can be used to modify a noun place, such as area, site, country or Nevada. Where cannot modify a “metaphorical” place, such as condition, situation, case, circumstances, or arrangement.
In these cases, use in which rather than where.
Wrong: We had an arrangement WHERE he cooked and I cleaned.
Right: We had an arrangement IN WHICH he cooked and I cleaned.
The pronoun when can be used to modify a noun event or time, such as period, age, 1987, or decade. In these circumstances, you can also use in which instead of when.

Thanks for the explanation. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 265 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
The announced relocation of the hospital has been welcome news for the city, where economic growth has been stagnant for the past several years.

A. city, where economic growth has been stagnant
B. city whose economic growth has been stagnant
C. city where economic growth has been stagnated
D. city, whose economic growth as been stagnated
E. city, the site of stagnated economic growth

Hi,

'Whose' is used for possessive i.e one owns the thing. City can not own things.
Let me explain this for giving two simple examples:
1) The city, where the roads are smooth, is awesome.
2) The city, whose roads are smooth, is awesome.
The second means that 'city has its own road' , but this is not the case. The road is under that city. City does not own the road or building or economic growth.
Hence using whose in option B and D are out. Option E is fragment plus other errors. C is out because original meaning does not constraint/conditioned the city, but rather provided the extra information. Hence correct option is A.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools: IIMB (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Quote:

Hi,
with ref. to your explanation, is the following sentence correct?
1. The company whose economic growth has been stagnant

Here the company can have economic growth.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 285 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 630 Q39 V38
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V38
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
jamesav

I think in this case you would have something like:

The company, which economic growth has been stagnant, is going bakrupt.

"Whose" is generally used with people, although exceptions may apply.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Babson '19
Send PM
According to MGMAT SC book (Fifth edition Pg 87) "Surprisingly, the pronoun whose can modify people or things. Eg: the town whose water supply was contaminated". I doubt there is anything wrong with option B.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 286 [0]
Given Kudos: 137
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 600 Q41 V31
Send PM
I think this is a high-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. I agree that A is the correct answer for the reasons mentioned. But C is not wrong because its a run on sentence. Run on sentences are NV-NV separated by a comma, and need a conjunction to fix the problem.
Here, however, 'where' is adjacent to 'city' and modifies it correctly. Both A and C seem correct on these grounds. Just that C has the word 'stagnated', which is incorrect.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Other, Entrepreneurship
Schools: IIMA (D)
Send PM
Hi

I have gone through the explanation and the above posts, but i still feel that B is the correct answer. Here is my reasoning for the same.

Original Sentence

The announced relocation of the hospital has been welcome news for the city, where economic growth has been stagnant for the past several years.

if the above sentence is slightly modified as below:

The hospital has been relocated to the city, where economic growth has been stagnant for the past several years.

In the above sentence the city is aptly functioning as a location, where is correct to refer to the location.

Substituting the original sentence with option choice B

The announced relocation of the hospital has been welcome news for the city whose economic growth has been stagnant for the past several years.

I don't think so that city is functioning as a location in the above sentence. "whose economic growth has been stagnant for the past several years" is a relative pronoun modifier and correctly modifies the city.

I agree with the above post by Nevernevergiveup

"I felt since city did not specify any particular place whose presence has been assumed, it may be metaphorical place according below info from MGMAT SC book.

Quote:
The pronoun where can be used to modify a noun place, such as area, site, country or Nevada. Where cannot modify a “metaphorical” place, such as condition, situation, case, circumstances, or arrangement.
"

egmat, Experts kindly clarify.

Thanks
Sahil
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
sahilmalhotra01 wrote:
Hi

I have gone through the explanation and the above posts, but i still feel that B is the correct answer. Here is my reasoning for the same.

Original Sentence

if the above sentence is slightly modified as below:

The hospital has been relocated to the city, where economic growth has been stagnant for the past several years.

In the above sentence the city is aptly functioning as a location, where is correct to refer to the location.

Substituting the original sentence with option choice B

The announced relocation of the hospital has been welcome news for the city whose economic growth has been stagnant for the past several years.

I don't think so that city is functioning as a location in the above sentence. "whose economic growth has been stagnant for the past several years" is a relative pronoun modifier and correctly modifies the city.

I agree with the above post by Nevernevergiveup

"I felt since city did not specify any particular place whose presence has been assumed, it may be metaphorical place according below info from MGMAT SC book.

Quote:
"

egmat, Experts kindly clarify.

Thanks
Sahil

We are withdrawing this question from the question bank for a revision.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92912 posts