Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 04:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

V02#31 (CR) - The state legislature's proposal

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 711 [0], given: 40

GMAT Tests User
V02#31 (CR) - The state legislature's proposal [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2010, 00:39
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The state legislature has proposed a law that would require registered voters to bring photo ID with them to polling places. The law is intended to curb potential fraud by preventing anyone else from voting under a registered voter's name. A 2004 survey found that the names of over 1,500 people who had died were still on voter rolls, and another 672 people were still listed as registered voters even though they had either moved out of the state or lost the right to vote due to felony conviction.

Which of the following is most like the passage in logical structure?

A) A local bank begins requiring additional identification before allowing access to safety deposit boxes. This decision is made after a series of robberies.

B) An elementary school institutes a rule requiring anyone picking up children after school to be issued a tag that will hang in their car, proving that they are either the child's parent or someone approved by the parents to transport the child. This decision is made after teachers notice children riding home in different cars on successive days.

C) A gym requires proof that patrons live within a 10-mile radius of the facility before issuing membership. This decision is made after the number of patrons increases beyond the gym's capacity.

D) An online auction site requires users to answer a "secret question" before completing checkout with a credit card. This decision is made after the site is forced to return money to patrons whose accounts were charged with unauthorized purchases after their credit card numbers were stolen.

E) Callers into a talk radio show are asked to identify themselves by first name and town of residence. This decision is made after the show's host becomes curious about the locations of his callers.

I am still not clear on the given OA. Can someone look into this question and provide reasoning?

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: V02#31 (CR) - The state legislature's proposal [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 19:52
1.The answer B is for me.
2. From the passage, the state set up the requriement to prevent some potential fraud events because the state found out some unusual phenomenon that could cause potential fraud events.

(ps. I do not know the correct answer, just share my opinion)
Manager
Manager
Schools: University of Texas at Austin, Michigan State
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 4

Re: V02#31 (CR) - The state legislature's proposal [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2010, 07:59
charleshsu0952 has it correct

I originally misread the question and I thought that the sentence about dead voters was talking about real fraud. (I was a little behind on the time for this test)

So "prevention before a problem" is the idea here.

Choice A) is about preventing future occurrences after an actual problem
Choice B) matches "prevention before a problem"
Choice C) is also a response
Choice D) is another response to a problem
Choice E) obviously not similar.
Re: V02#31 (CR) - The state legislature's proposal   [#permalink] 04 Jul 2010, 07:59