Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:06 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618840 [8]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618840 [1]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
Send PM
Re: V04-14, V04-15 [#permalink]
The first question is very ambiguous.

While doing the question, I was sure this was one of toughest tone question ever but the solution is not satisfactory ( for me atleast).

Sarcastic.... I hardly think this has sarcasm in tone. I am sorry, I do not agree with solution.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
"American popularized versions of Feng Shui, by contrast, show hardly any concern for directional alignment or key objects, preferring instead the excessive use of crystals, mirrors, and table-top water features, which, though perhaps entertaining, display precious little respect for the real influence of Chi."

The author shows clear displeasure. I don't think his criticism is masked with any sarcasm here!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I think this is a poor-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. Do not understand the explanation for answer A - too vague
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
marshnaz wrote:
I think this is a poor-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. Do not understand the explanation for answer A - too vague

Yes, your point is valid - it cant be said the author is sarcastic about the practices in America. The answer choice and explanation has been modified.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
V04-14, V04-15 [#permalink]
The author most likely uses the adjective “popularized” in order to emphasize that

(a) many Americans in the 1960s used Feng Shui in their homes.
(b) directional alignment and key objects are no longer common features of Chinese Feng Shui.
(c) decorators influenced by New Age sensibilities changed the practice of Feng Shui by adding crystals, mirrors, and water features.
(d) the practice of Feng Shui in the United States was considerably more shallow than its practice in ancient China.
(e) crystals, mirrors, and water features were as popular in the United States in the 1960s as Feng Shui was in ancient China.

Correct ans - decorators influenced by New Age sensibilities changed the practice of Feng Shui by adding crystals, mirrors, and water features.

other options are eliminated because they are direct and not relevant to the main tone . In the first paragraph itself it says decorators are heavily influenced by New Age sensibilities........
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: -5 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Tepper '19
GPA: 3.69
WE:Analyst (Manufacturing)
Send PM
am not satisfied with the answer , the last line says ***though perhaps entertaining** which can lead one think that the aurthor is being Both supportive and critical
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
yashrakhiani wrote:
am not satisfied with the answer , the last line says ***though perhaps entertaining** which can lead one think that the aurthor is being Both supportive and critical

The central theme of this passage is the Chinese art Feng Shui and how the art was adopted in America. The passage first provides information about the art and then criticizes the way it was adopted in America. B is the best answer. The phrase "perhaps though entertaining" may reflect a faint support for the way the art was adopted, possibility of at least something positive about the adoption, but this part is NOT the central theme of the passage. B is a much better choice than A.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Feng Shui, the ancient Chinese art of harmonious design, first became fashionable in the United States in the 1960s, when decorators heavily influenced by New Age sensibilities began selling Feng Shui to their clients as a chance to increase health and wealth as well as to have a more beautiful home. The Chinese practice of Feng Shui depends on directing the healthy flow of Chi, or life energy, by aligning the home itself according to the four cardinal directions and objects in the home in such a way as to receive and maintain this positive energy. In ancient practice, the most important objects in the home include the front door, or “Mouth of Chi,” where most life energy is received; the stove, which represents wealth and abundance; and the bed, whose positive position controls relationship energy. American popularized versions of Feng Shui, by contrast, show hardly any concern for directional alignment or key objects, preferring instead the excessive use of crystals, mirrors, and table-top water features, which, though perhaps entertaining, display precious little respect for the real influence of Chi.
1. Which of the following best describes the author’s tone in the passage?

(a) Both supportive and critical
(b) Alternately informative and criticising
(c) Wavering between disagreement and support
(d) Neither satisfied nor dissatisfied
(e) Variously shocked and proud

2. The author most likely uses the adjective “popularized” in order to emphasize that

(b) directional alignment and key objects are no longer common features of Chinese Feng Shui.
(c) decorators influenced by New Age sensibilities changed the practice of Feng Shui by adding crystals, mirrors, and water features.
(d) the practice of Feng Shui in the United States was considerably more shallow than its practice in ancient China.
(e) crystals, mirrors, and water features were as popular in the United States in the 1960s as Feng Shui was in ancient China.

Hi Brunel,

I am not getting how to solve RC. in this 2nd question- the word popularized made an impact to me that it corresponds that Feng Shui is popular in everyone's home.
how should I work on this. I am not able to solve any tricky questions of such sort.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 592
Send PM
. The author most likely uses the adjective “popularized” in order to emphasize that

I do not agree with Option D here. When you say X is more shallow than Y, you mean that both are shallow but X is more shallow compared to Y. However, no where does the para indicate that China's practice of Fgen Shui was shallow!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GPA: 3.74
Send PM
V04-14, V04-15 [#permalink]
sayantanc2k Bunuel
Hi, I'm new here and I have a question.

The author most likely uses the adjective “popularized” in order to emphasize that

I feel that the word "popularized" means that it was either popular throughout America (as stated by option a) or that the popularized forms were variations of the original (as implied by option d) so I am unable to understand why the option d is mentioned as the correct answer. How does the passage imply that the practice was shallow in ancient China and how do we judge that the practice in America is considerably shallower than that?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 160
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q49 V32
WE:Marketing (Insurance)
Send PM
athena97 wrote:
sayantanc2k Bunuel
Hi, I'm new here and I have a question.

I feel that the word "popularized" means that it was either popular throughout America (as stated by option a) or that the popularized forms were variations of the original (as implied by option d) so I am unable to understand why the option d is mentioned as the correct answer. How does the passage imply that the practice was shallow in ancient China and how do we judge that the practice in America is considerably shallower than that?

Consider the sentence - American popularized versions of Feng Shui, by contrast, show hardly any concern for directional alignment or key objects, preferring instead the excessive use of crystals, mirrors, and table-top water features, which, though perhaps entertaining, display precious little respect for the real influence of Chi.

American version of Feng Shui is different from Chinese version. The American version doesn't show any concern for directional alignment but displays little respect for the real influence of Chi. It can't be inferred that Americans were using Feng Shui for namesake to sell to their clients. So, the practice was more shallow than in China. Passage doesn't imply that practice was shallow in China.
Director
Director
Affiliations: CFA Institute; ICAI; BCAS
Own Kudos [?]: 554 [0]
Given Kudos: 694
WE 2: EA to CFO (Consumer Products)
GPA: 3.78
WE:Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
poorvi125 wrote:
. The author most likely uses the adjective “popularized” in order to emphasize that

I do not agree with Option D here. When you say X is more shallow than Y, you mean that both are shallow but X is more shallow compared to Y. However, no where does the para indicate that China's practice of Fgen Shui was shallow!

sayantanc2k Bunuel GMATNinja AndrewN Sajjad1994 bb

I think that the option D is poorly drafted for this reason.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92900 posts