Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 20:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

V05-17 - Typo Sighting

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

CAT Tests
V05-17 - Typo Sighting [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2014, 13:17
This post received
KUDOS
V05-17
My commentary re: the type below END SOLUTION tag...

===Original Question===
Which of the following stipulations would be most helpful in assuring the success of the CEOs’ plan to provide more variety in accounting services by breaking up the Big Four firms?

Federal regulations require that corporations use separate accounting firms for audit and non-audit services. This presents difficulties for many multi-national companies because there are only four large international accounting firms based in the United States. An outspoken group of CEOs has suggested breaking up the "Big Four" firms into smaller operations, so that corporations will have more options for their accounting needs.

a) The firms should maintain their multi-national contacts.
b) CEOs for the new companies should be chosen from inside each firm.
c) Corporations must keep the same firm for their audit services, but should choose a new firm for non-audit needs.
d) The new firms should maintain their internal audit procedures.
e) The Big Four firms should divide so that the audit and non-audit sections are not broken up.

==Provided Solution==
Situation: A group of CEOs has proposed that the Big Four accounting firms be broken into smaller firms so that corporations will have more options for audit and non-audit services.

Reasoning: Which added provision will help assure the success of the CEOs’ plan? The CEOs suggest breaking up the Big Four firms so that corporations can have more choices for their audit and non-audit services, which must, by federal regulation, not be performed by the same firm. Anything that further insures that audit and non-audit services will be kept separate in breaking up the firms will also assure that CEOs will get the added variety they are seeking.

A) This option does not directly impact the question of variety.
B) The origin of new CEOs does not deal with variety or with the separating of audit and non-audit services.
C) This provision specifies what decisions corporations may be allowed to make, but it does not insure variety.
D) This option does not directly impact the question of variety.
E) If each Big Four firm breaks into two – one performing audit services, and one performing non-audit services – then the field will have gained the variety sought by CEOs.

The correct answer is E
==END SOLUTION==

I agree with the logic of selecting E). However, when the question is asked, it appears there's a type that takes "E" out as a rational response.

Quote:
e) The Big Four firms should divide so that the audit and non-audit sections are not broken up.

To use the same logic as in the solution: Although the Big Four firms are dividing, the fact that the audit- and non-audit sections ARE NOT broken up in (E) does nothing for variety.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 32

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: V05-17 - Typo Sighting [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2014, 00:25

I don't get it.
I think if e is the answer, it should change to:

e) The Big Four firms should divide so that the audit and non-audit sections are broken up.

Help! :roll:
Re: V05-17 - Typo Sighting   [#permalink] 10 Jul 2014, 00:25