Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 01:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

V29 -> V41(640 -> 720) Ghaint means Awesome !!! :)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [3] , given: 4

V29 -> V41(640 -> 720) Ghaint means Awesome !!! :) [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2013, 09:32
This post received
KUDOS
First of all, Thanks a lot to BB for creating this forum which helps and inspires the GMAT aspirants like me to keep trying to achieve the target score. Also thanks to everyone else who have contributed to this forum in any possible way. In my first attempt, i ended up getting 640(Q48,V29). I was pretty consistent with my verbal in practice tests with scores ranging from V36 to V39 in all the 8-9 practice tests that i took. So getting a V29 was definitely a shocker :roll: Anyways, after a gap of 2 weeks after the first attempt, i started working on verbal again and tried to plug the leaks. Quant took a total backseat. After around 2 months, attempted GMAT again last week and ended up getting 720(Q48,V41). :-D and V41 made it really special. :lol: I will try to post a detailed debrief in few weeks but yeah thanks again to everyone and to all the aspirants - guys hang in there, you will definitely reach that target score one day :)
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Anderson '17
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 11

Reviews Badge
Re: V29 -> V41(640 -> 720) Ghaint means Awesome !!! :) [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2013, 14:51
This post received
KUDOS
Congrats. In your debrief, please explain what you focused on to improve your verbal score. I am weaker at verbal and I like the verbal jump you experienced when you studied again. What are things that worked when you went back to verbal? Congrats again.
Intern
Intern
WE: General Management (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 13

Re: V29 -> V41(640 -> 720) Ghaint means Awesome !!! :) [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 02:33
I'm on the same boat here! My first GMAT attempt was a disappointing 620(Q49 V26). I did pretty good on AWA, IR and Quant. But then I lost focus when i started doing Verbal. I've been pretty consistent with verbal during my practice. My practice scores ranged from V31-V35 but while I was doing the test, my head was completely blank!!! Usually, CR is my strongest part, my accuracy is usually around 80-90%. But on the actual test, I didn't understand the argument and couldn't find any flaws at all! As for SC, I'm not that confident about my SC skills since my accuracy is around 60% during practice. But SC was worse on the actual GMAT! I found it hard to eliminate choices. I felt like I didn't know what I was doing. All in all, verbal was a fail for me.

So now I'll give myself one more month to study before retaking the exam. I'm aiming for 700, like everyone else. Could you give me some tips on how to improve my verbal scores? How did you improve from V29 to V41? What was your study plan?

Thanks, and congratulations on your great score!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Re: V29 -> V41(640 -> 720) Ghaint means Awesome !!! :) [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 10:20
@doitright and @amnbyaun...thanks guys...fortunately RC comes natural to me and i was confident in RC from the start of my preparation. My strategy in RC was to read the passage twice without taking any notes and then proceed with the questions. This strategy took some time getting used to but ultimately it produced great results for me in RC. For SC and CR, i started off with the usual Manhattan SC and CR bible respectively. SC was my weak area and Manhattan SC helped me to understand the basics of SC but i never found quality practice questions for SC. After doing some research i joined Magoosh online course and found some good SC practice questions. For CR, the CR bible was too tough for me to handle so i finally used Manhattan CR and Magoosh CR videos. Magoosh's CR practice questions are really good. So in the end, as everyone says its more and more practice that gives you the desired results. Thanks again and best of luck :)
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 263 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: V29 -> V41(640 -> 720) Ghaint means Awesome !!! :) [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 23:00
Congrats ghaint and good luck for the applications ahead.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: V29 -> V41(640 -> 720) Ghaint means Awesome !!! :) [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 23:47
Hi ,,,,I have decided to appear for GMAT again (around Aug –Sep)

This is going to be my third attempt. My Previous two attempts were unsuccessful.

First Attempt – Nov 2011 – 630

Second Attempt – April 2012 -590

The Quant score during both attempts was around 48. The verbal section is my trouble area. In verbal section also its CR & RC where I struggle most. Since you have rules for SC it’s still easy to master SC. My main concern is how to increase your accuracy in CR & RC. I have practiced a lot of questions for CR & RC but I am still not at that Level.
I think more than practice I need a guidance and a trick to Master CR & RC.

Can you guide me how to get that magical figure of 700. Unless and Until I get my verbal score up it’s not going to be possible.

Please guide me and help me so that my accuracy in both CR & RC increases.

Also, guide me the source which I should rely on for both Quant & Verbal. I have done OG many times and now questions are already memorized. Before solving the question you know the answer which is a waste of time.

Please guide me and help me in getting a good score
Re: V29 -> V41(640 -> 720) Ghaint means Awesome !!! :)   [#permalink] 02 Apr 2013, 23:47