Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 21:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Valedictorian at MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Valedictorian at MBA [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2012, 09:36
Starting full-time MBA this Fall (top 20 w/grade point averages), setting some goals for the time being, one of which is straight A's. Figure thats as good a goal as any, and realistic too.

Then I just noticed MBA programs actually have valedictorians at graduation. Is this title, like HS and college, inevitably taken by a student w/4.0 GPA, aka a person who was perfect the whole 2 years? Or is it more typically taken with 3.9 or 3.8 GPA, given that grades are not the top priority they once were in previous levels of education?

Just curious what people have seen...
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 120

Kudos [?]: 563 [3] , given: 114

Re: Valedictorian at MBA [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2012, 10:53
This post received
KUDOS
I think a bigger thing to consider here is that your goals might not be in the right place. The MBA is soooo much more than your grades. Its the friends you make, connections, internship, clubs, experiences, happy hours, network, etc... all of which have NOTHING to do with how long you keep your nose in the books. Generally, graduate school is easier to get high grades in then in college. So a 3.5 will be much more common. I'd much rather have a 3.5 and really know that I took everything I could from my program, not just the title of having the best grades. The amount of work between achieving a 3.5 and 4.0 becomes exponetially tougher.

Working after an MBA has very little to do with how good your GPA was, and even if you're applying for the toughest jobs, they won't just be deciding based on your GPA or GMAT. So unless you are planning on getting a PhD in Business, you might want to reconsider your goal, and make sure that this goal wont keep your nose in the books, but your body, mind, and resources away from some of the most important aspects of business school.

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 94

Kudos [?]: 399 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Valedictorian at MBA [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2012, 10:14
From my understanding the valedictorian is the person with the highest GPA. If the highest GPA in a class is a 2.5 then that person is the valedictorian. I could be wrong though so if someone knows differently please weigh in.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Tuck Thread Master
GMAT 1: 730 Q44 V46
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.49
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 85

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Valedictorian at MBA [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2012, 10:30
I don't know how it is in grad programs, but I've heard of ties, or near ties, in undergrad where a committee chooses between a set of students. In which case other factors come into play - extracurriculars, leadership, etc.

Glad I Retook: 730 (Q44 V46) to 760 (Q50 V44)

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Phi Beta Kappa
Concentration: International Business, Other
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2014
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 9

Re: Valedictorian at MBA [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 06:21
Agree with the last. I've decided not to care about difficulty of classes when picking my electives, but rather focus on what appeals to me - regardless of A+ probability. Goes without saying that I'd like to work with people of same nature after school; not the people who desperately want to get a 4.0 out of biz school. Plenty of people (Wharton mostly) with MBAs and they've further said that nobody cares about grades anyway (obviously, don't get a 1.0......).

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Valedictorian at MBA   [#permalink] 09 Jul 2012, 06:21