Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 09:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Value of Networking

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Value of Networking [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2013, 09:41
Hey guys,

First-time poster, long-time lurker here. I was wondering if any of you think/know whether there is any value in networking with the Admissions Office for the pure sake of networking?

Obviously, attending various outreach events, visiting campus, etc. is very helpful in terms of learning more about the school and its program, and you may even find a discussion topic or two for your interview. But do you know if the Admissions Office look beneficially on applicants they have met and who gave them a good impression?

Thanks!
VP
VP
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 443 [0], given: 452

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Value of Networking [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2013, 17:00
'Act beneficially' is somewhat strong. Because this process is so subjective, you can't say why you were dinged or why you were accepted. Having said that , they will definitely come to know that you are serious about that school and genuinely interested in going there. That's a big positive. So, it will surely add to your candidacy.

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

MBA Blogger
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Schools: HBS '16, Fuqua
GMAT 1: 510 Q25 V36
GMAT 2: 510 Q29 V31
WE: Research (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Value of Networking [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2013, 02:35
Yes

Some schools set up files for would be students. Have you had a chat with admissions, alumni, current students. Worst thing you can do is submit an app with no one being aware your interested.

Posted from my mobile device Image
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Tuck '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 101

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Value of Networking [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2013, 03:07
Scandy wrote:
Hey guys,

First-time poster, long-time lurker here. I was wondering if any of you think/know whether there is any value in networking with the Admissions Office for the pure sake of networking?

Obviously, attending various outreach events, visiting campus, etc. is very helpful in terms of learning more about the school and its program, and you may even find a discussion topic or two for your interview. But do you know if the Admissions Office look beneficially on applicants they have met and who gave them a good impression?

Thanks!

Since this is in the HBS section, I assume you are talking about Harvard admissions team. No it doesn't make any difference to them whatsoever because they receive so many applicants and their admissions is so large that it is unlikely they will remember. Also even if you made an impression, it is probable that your file will be assigned to a different reader.

*Updated 25th July*: Embracing the downtime
Blog: http://domotron.wordpress.com

Elements of an MBA application series
GMAT (28/02) | Profile (11/03) | Networking / Research (01/04) | Recommendations (30/05) | Essays / Online applications | Interview

My 710 (Q50, V36) Debrief + 740 (Q48, V44) Update:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/710-q50-v36-phew-i-m-done-with-the-gmat-probably-150067.html

Please share your profiles for this application season below:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/2014-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-162160.html

Intern
Intern

Re: Value of Networking [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2013, 04:05
jumsumtak wrote:
'Act beneficially' is somewhat strong. Because this process is so subjective, you can't say why you were dinged or why you were accepted. Having said that , they will definitely come to know that you are serious about that school and genuinely interested in going there. That's a big positive. So, it will surely add to your candidacy.

Thanks for the input. What you said is essentially what I thought may be the case. To me, visiting campus, attending a conference, etc. show great interest and dedication. However, do you know if/how they record the events you have attended? Does the Admissions Officer reading your application also read this information?

sarahrs wrote:
Yes

Some schools set up files for would be students. Have you had a chat with admissions, alumni, current students. Worst thing you can do is submit an app with no one being aware your interested.

Thanks, sarahrs. Do you know if HBS keeps such a file, and whether or not Admissions Officers read this file when assessing applications?

domotron wrote:
Scandy wrote:
Hey guys,

Thanks!

Since this is in the HBS section, I assume you are talking about Harvard admissions team. No it doesn't make any difference to them whatsoever because they receive so many applicants and their admissions is so large that it is unlikely they will remember. Also even if you made an impression, it is probable that your file will be assigned to a different reader.

Thanks for the input, Domotron, you are indeed assuming correctly. This is what I feared endless networking efforts might lead to - absolutely no impact at all. In Europe a lot of top schools hold/gather lists of strong applicants which they have met or heard about. Is this definitely not the case at HBS? Is the admissions decission taken as simply as one Admissions Officer reading the applicant's entire application (incl. interview feedback and post-interview essay), and nothing else, and then putting it in the accept or reject pile?
VP
VP
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 443 [0], given: 452

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Value of Networking [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2013, 07:10
1.) Well, different schools may track information differently. I assume it all goes in their system. But, writing something like that in the essay without visiting/talking can be dangerous. They can always cross check.
2.) Your visit will not always give you airtime with adcom. And even if it does, in all probability it will be a short conversation, which might get lost in thousand of other applicant's queries. Having said that, there are handful of people who might interact with the adcom on a personal level. Will this help you? Maybe. (read my previous response)
3.) Dom is spot on. There are schools that encourage you to interact and show your love. For example - Tuck. And then there is HBS. These are 2 ends of the spectrum, really. Personally, I feel HBS couldn't care less whether you visit or not. But, you should if you get a chance. You will get to see case method in action and realize your fit with the place.

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Tuck '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 101

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Value of Networking [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2013, 07:12
Scandy wrote:
Thanks for the input, Domotron, you are indeed assuming correctly. This is what I feared endless networking efforts might lead to - absolutely no impact at all. In Europe a lot of top schools hold/gather lists of strong applicants which they have met or heard about. Is this definitely not the case at HBS? Is the admissions decission taken as simply as one Admissions Officer reading the applicant's entire application (incl. interview feedback and post-interview essay), and nothing else, and then putting it in the accept or reject pile?

There are just so many applicants that it would be incredibly difficult to make an impression that sticks in the mind of the admissions team. I can't remember whether they have 1 or 2 reads and when it goes to committee. However I doubt any network efforts would be enough to sway the admission team's decision.

*Updated 25th July*: Embracing the downtime
Blog: http://domotron.wordpress.com

Elements of an MBA application series
GMAT (28/02) | Profile (11/03) | Networking / Research (01/04) | Recommendations (30/05) | Essays / Online applications | Interview

My 710 (Q50, V36) Debrief + 740 (Q48, V44) Update:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/710-q50-v36-phew-i-m-done-with-the-gmat-probably-150067.html

Please share your profiles for this application season below:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/2014-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-162160.html

Intern
Intern

Re: Value of Networking [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2013, 07:34
domotron wrote:
Scandy wrote:

There are just so many applicants that it would be incredibly difficult to make an impression that sticks in the mind of the admissions team. I can't remember whether they have 1 or 2 reads and when it goes to committee. However I doubt any network efforts would be enough to sway the admission team's decision.

Thanks again, domotron. What you write makes a lot of sense, and I think getting your name to stick on a personal level is difficult/impossible with any school. However, in Europe certain schools mark your file or so if they have had a pleasant encounter with you, which adcom then sees when they read your application. I get the impression that HBS does not do this, which is quite fair to be honest.

If anyone else has differing opinions about this, it would be interesting to hear them as well.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Schools: HBS '17, CBS '16, Yale '17
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE: Analyst (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 23

Re: Value of Networking [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2013, 08:20
I am a completely newbie at mba apps myself, but here are my thoughts just for the fun of it :)

If you think you can positively impact your admission chances by networking, then you should do it! Is it easy to leave a great impression by merely visiting the schools and talking to adcoms? probably not or else everyone would've done it. But isn't this business/MBA all about? Be innovative and creative, carefully draw your own strategy and plan to achieve positive results? Some (most) applicants get their interviews/admission by having stellar resumes and well crafted essays and some gets it done by other means. Nothing mediocre will get anyone into Harvard. If you want to utilize networking as one of your strategies then you better be amazing at it. Adcoms are humans after all and have emotions. Are they easily impressed? most likely not, but if you can achieve that feat and no one else can, then you will give yourself an edge. Networking is not limited to visiting and participate in admission events.

I am only beginning my process of applications and I do believe most Top MBA programs look at your application holistically and Harvard is one of the schools that gives you a lot of freedom to show them why you deserve one of the 900 some coveted seats.

take my advice with a grain of salt :)

best of luck

Scandy wrote:
domotron wrote:
Scandy wrote:

Thanks again, domotron. What you write makes a lot of sense, and I think getting your name to stick on a personal level is difficult/impossible with any school. However, in Europe certain schools mark your file or so if they have had a pleasant encounter with you, which adcom then sees when they read your application. I get the impression that HBS does not do this, which is quite fair to be honest.

If anyone else has differing opinions about this, it would be interesting to hear them as well.
Re: Value of Networking   [#permalink] 04 Nov 2013, 08:20