Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 09:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Value proposition of AdmissionConsultants:Feedback Requested

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Value proposition of AdmissionConsultants:Feedback Requested [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2005, 12:46
Question for any successful MBA candidate, Hjort etc :

Has any of u used one of these admission consultants for assistance and guidance in MBA admissions ? I am debating whether it is worth the high cost.

Any recommendations, feedback would be highly appreciated. So far I have found Accepted.com and AdmissionConsultants.com. Both of which claim high degree of success for their candidates. Hard to say whether these candidates were successful becose of them or they wud have been successful regardless :-D

Thanks
CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 428 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2005, 14:21
Some students have reported success with the commercial admissions services. Having another person evaluate your application and portfolio is a good idea. However, as with any engagement of this nature, it is important to have realistic expectations regarding the help that one will receive.

In addition, I will gladly provide you with guidance gratis.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2005, 06:19
Hjort wrote:
Some students have reported success with the commercial admissions services. Having another person evaluate your application and portfolio is a good idea. However, as with any engagement of this nature, it is important to have realistic expectations regarding the help that one will receive.

In addition, I will gladly provide you with guidance gratis.

Thank you Hjort. I value your opinion in this matter. I will definitely seek ur guidance. In fact, my first hurdle is to short list programs. I was wondering if you could evaluate my chances of admission in top 10 MBA programs in the US.

Profile:

Target session: Fall '06 (Full-time)

Citizenship: Indian (Might become US permanent resident by the time I apply)

GMAT : 760 (99 %) (Q - 51, V - 41) (2nd attempt)
710 (94 %) (Q-50, V-35) (first attempt)

MS in Engineering : The Ohio State University (Overall GPA: 3.25, Major GPA: 3.54) - Studied on full research scholarship; Published papers and applied for a patent.

BS in Engineering : IIT - Roorkee (One of the best undergrad institutes in India: Equivalent GPA should be ~ 3.8)

Work Exp: Moved away from my engg studies and joined the IT. 5 + yrs exp in IT ( in the USA ) with focus in Supply Chain Mgmt and Warehouse Management Systems. Started from Jr. Software Engineer then promoted to Software Engineer and now working as Sr. Software Engg. My current role involves mentoring and guiding junior engineers during software development lifecycle and various project management responsibilities.

Community Service: Was a volunteer in National Social Services back in India during my undergrad study. Trying to get into some community forum now.

Other Activities: I was the editor-in-chief in my undergrad newsletter. For fun -- play tennis, swim, rollerbade, iceskate, chess etc.

Recommendations: Will be able to get good recos from my former boss and from an ex-colleague. However, getting a reco from my present boss is not possible for obvious reasons.

Why MBA ? My short term goal is to move in the e-commerce and information tech management world after MBA and in the long term start my own info-services company.

I wud appreciate your feedback on the following:

1) My chances in top 10 MBA programs. I am only focusing on top 10-15
schools based on BW rankings.
2) Advise on some specific top 10 schools that I should target and
some "safety" schools.
3) Should I apply in Round 1 or Round 2 ?
4) Any particular action(s) I should take in next 3-4 mos to fill any holes I
might have in my app.
5) Should I await applying for Fall '07 instead of Fall '06 and try to beef up
my community service exp or anything else ?

Regards

Last edited by banerjeea_98 on 12 Jul 2005, 11:48, edited 1 time in total.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 667 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2005, 10:42
banerjeea

I really liked your volunteering to help as a moderator. you are an important part of the club. no doubt about that. I just thought you may want to understand how the community service part really works.

With all due respect, I request you to be careful about over emphazing some things that others may not consider as community service. It might end up hurting you. I think Hjort may agree with me here.

GMAT Club is NOT registered as a non-profit organization. Also, you are a moderator (not admin) at GMAT Club. By claiming community service and admin status at GMAT Club, you may put yourself in a spot if schools like wharton want to investigate.

If you have ideas for the club, you are most welcome to share them. At gmat club, so many people have contributed to the growth and yet, they choose to remain anonymous and do not want recognition. please contribute and help us to help others.. then you can truly claim what you mentioned here. you will then be able to safely mention community service at gmat club on your resume. It wont count for much, but it still would be somewhat valuable.

i hope you take this as positive feedback and work harder in your community to help others. this world can always use some quality teachers. go to your local school district and offer to teach for free. that would be something.

Praetorian
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2005, 11:47
Praet,

Thx for looking at my post. I am afraid that my comment was not articulated properly and caused some misunderstanding on your part. As u can see that the smily face next to that sentence meant for taking that litely. Needless to say that I have no intention to put my GMATClub exp anywhere in the app. The comment was meant more as a lite humor than anything else. In addition I didn't pay any attention to admin vs moderator, as I was unaware of any distinction between the two in the Club. Hope it clarifies your doubt and sorry for any confusion this may have caused. I will edit the post. :-D

Thanks
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2005, 09:14
banerjee join ASHA...its a non profit organization focused on providing free education to underpriviliaged children in india...I can introduce you to ASHA's US leadership team...

(a) they need people like you..smart and motivated.
(b) you need them just as much...
(c) its really a wonderful cause..bringing the gift of education to every child....I belive education is a fundemental human right, just like access to water, bread and oxygen....after all you and I both benefited from education...we should pass the torch...

let me know if you are interested, i'll hook you with a friend who is very active in ASHA...

banerjeea_98 wrote:
Praet,

Thx for looking at my post. I am afraid that my comment was not articulated properly and caused some misunderstanding on your part. As u can see that the smily face next to that sentence meant for taking that litely. Needless to say that I have no intention to put my GMATClub exp anywhere in the app. The comment was meant more as a lite humor than anything else. In addition I didn't pay any attention to admin vs moderator, as I was unaware of any distinction between the two in the Club. Hope it clarifies your doubt and sorry for any confusion this may have caused. I will edit the post. :-D

Thanks
  [#permalink] 17 Sep 2005, 09:14