Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 05:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Vanderbilt (Owen) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 15 Oct 2012
Posts: 82
Location: Guatemala
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V35
GRE 1: 318 Q160 V158
GRE 2: 318 Q160 V158
GPA: 3.21
WE: Business Development (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 2

Vanderbilt (Owen) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2012, 04:08
1
This post received
KUDOS
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Vanderbilt Owen School of Business – Class of 2015 (Matriculating 2013)

Add Your Name to the List

Image

Vanderbilt (Owen) Applicant Summary (Real Time)


Quick Glance: GMAT Club vs. Latest Intake (Class of 2013)



Detailed Applicant List: Add Yourself to This List (add Owen to your profile)


GMAT Club's Real-time Admissions Statistics

Add Your Profile to This List
Questions about this Roll Call?

INFORMATION - APPLICATION FOR CLASS OF 2015

Essays
1. Explain your short-term and long-term career plans as specifically as possible. When combined with your studies at Owen, how will your background, previous experiences, interests and personal attributes enable you to pursue these goals successfully? (500 words maximum)
2. In what ways would you impact Owen as a student and as an alumnus/alumna? How would you create change within the Owen community? (Not required for Accelerator, MMHC and EMBA applicants) (500 words maximum)
3. Optional question: You are strongly encouraged to provide an additional statement to clarify and explain any of the following: gaps of more than three months in full-time employment, lack of recommendation from your current or most recent supervisor, limited full-time work experience (ignore if you are a recent undergraduate), poor academic performance, weak test scores, academic misconduct, violations of the law, or anything else you think is important for the Admissions Committee to know about you that is not already addressed elsewhere in your application. Applicants reactivating a previous application submitted within the last two years should provide their additional statement here. (500 words maximum)

Admission Deadlines:
Early Admission: 10/02/2012 | Decision Date: 11/16/2012
Round 1 Deadline: 11/27/2013 | Decision Date: 1/11/2013
Round 2 Deadline: 1/9/2013 | Decision Date: 3/08/2013
Round 3 Deadline: 3/5/2013 | Decision Date: 4/26/2013

Application FAQs: http://www.owen.vanderbilt.edu/vanderbilt/admissions/mba-admissions/faqs.cfm

Historic GMAT Club Applicant Threads

Last edited by fv113 on 24 Oct 2012, 18:52, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 15 Oct 2012
Posts: 82
Location: Guatemala
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V35
GRE 1: 318 Q160 V158
GRE 2: 318 Q160 V158
GPA: 3.21
WE: Business Development (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: Vanderbilt (Owen) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2012, 13:26
Anyone interviewed yet?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2008
Posts: 86
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Vanderbilt (Owen) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2012, 17:42
Vandy is my number 1.......
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 15 Oct 2012
Posts: 82
Location: Guatemala
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V35
GRE 1: 318 Q160 V158
GRE 2: 318 Q160 V158
GPA: 3.21
WE: Business Development (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: Vanderbilt (Owen) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2012, 18:18
Did you apply for early admission?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Aug 2012
Posts: 6
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.2
WE: Corporate Finance (Transportation)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Vanderbilt (Owen) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2012, 09:04
Anyone going to the November Discover Weekend? I went two years ago when I was first considering applying and am debating going again...
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 15 Oct 2012
Posts: 82
Location: Guatemala
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V35
GRE 1: 318 Q160 V158
GRE 2: 318 Q160 V158
GPA: 3.21
WE: Business Development (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: Vanderbilt (Owen) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2012, 13:06
Wish I could... Work gets really busy this time of the year.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Aug 2012
Posts: 6
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.2
WE: Corporate Finance (Transportation)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Vanderbilt (Owen) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2012, 13:12
fv113 wrote:
Wish I could... Work gets really busy this time of the year.


Believe me, I know the feeling. Luckily for me, I'm only a few hours down the road, so it's not too hard on my schedule (can't say the same about my gas tank though).
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Oct 2012
Posts: 111
Location: United States
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 12

Re: Vanderbilt (Owen) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2012, 18:30
TheBigBadDawg wrote:
Anyone going to the November Discover Weekend? I went two years ago when I was first considering applying and am debating going again...


How was it? I'm attending and doing my interview during that period. I love VUMC and Nashville, but am interested to learn more about Owen. I really like that it's all graduate students, not to sound like a snob. :lol:
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 15 Oct 2012
Posts: 82
Location: Guatemala
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V35
GRE 1: 318 Q160 V158
GRE 2: 318 Q160 V158
GPA: 3.21
WE: Business Development (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: Vanderbilt (Owen) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2012, 19:47
Who are you interviewing with? I have mine through Skype on Tuesday with a current student, so I am really excited about. And I completely agree, I love that its all graduate students, its a great environment. P.S. Are you applying to all those schools? Thats impressive!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Oct 2012
Posts: 111
Location: United States
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 12

Re: Vanderbilt (Owen) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2012, 20:36
fv113 wrote:
Who are you interviewing with? I have mine through Skype on Tuesday with a current student, so I am really excited about. And I completely agree, I love that its all graduate students, its a great environment. P.S. Are you applying to all those schools? Thats impressive!


Congratulations on your interview as well and best of luck! I do not have a finalized itinerary of the Discover Weekend, so I do not know who I'm interviewing with yet. My fiancée is applying to residency to 30 programs, which is relatively normal since it is a centralized application process. Unfortunately that leaves me applying to lots of places too...sans application service :( But I am hitting the biggest schools and regions we're both interested in first.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 15 Oct 2012
Posts: 82
Location: Guatemala
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V35
GRE 1: 318 Q160 V158
GRE 2: 318 Q160 V158
GPA: 3.21
WE: Business Development (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: Vanderbilt (Owen) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2012, 09:12
Thats awesome! Good luck!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2008
Posts: 86
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Vanderbilt (Owen) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2012, 12:01
Bigbad, Krudget, I am going to Discovery weekend on November 9th and 10th. I would love to see you guys there. fv113 and the rest, I have been to Owen twice - albeit not a Discovery Weekend. I just went on a regular visit on my own. Owen is a great place and it is my number 1 school. It is very small and quaint - although right in the middle of a large city. Its also in an old yet refurbished engineering building, which my old engineer self loves! Let me know if you guys have any questions, again I would love to see you there.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2008
Posts: 86
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Vanderbilt (Owen) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2012, 12:10
Btw, I sent this to fv113 but I wanted to ask some of your opinions as well. I'm 37 and have 15 years of experience in the construction industry. I have a 2.8 but double majored in civil and environmental engineering at a large state university (NC State in Raleigh). I also am a licensed Professional Engineer in North Carolina. I have a 650 on my GMAT - Q39/V40. Do I have a realistic shot at getting into Owen if I rocked on the essays - it is my dream school. I want to use their incredible real estate concentration to go into development combing my construction experience. I asked fv113 this, but in no disrespect to him just wanted to get some more opinions. fv, when you come in - let me know.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Oct 2012
Posts: 111
Location: United States
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 12

Re: Vanderbilt (Owen) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2012, 00:40
benpack03 wrote:
Btw, I sent this to fv113 but I wanted to ask some of your opinions as well. I'm 37 and have 15 years of experience in the construction industry. I have a 2.8 but double majored in civil and environmental engineering at a large state university (NC State in Raleigh). I also am a licensed Professional Engineer in North Carolina. I have a 650 on my GMAT - Q39/V40. Do I have a realistic shot at getting into Owen if I rocked on the essays - it is my dream school. I want to use their incredible real estate concentration to go into development combing my construction experience. I asked fv113 this, but in no disrespect to him just wanted to get some more opinions. fv, when you come in - let me know.


Sounds good, hope to see you at Discovery Weekend. They have a tonne of stuff planned for us it looks like.

As far as if you're competitive, I honestly don't know. I helped with med school admissions in my second year, so hopefully its somewhat analogous. We'd get 'older' candidates with a variety of real life experiences and distinct goals and would be open to them. For example if our MCAT average was a 33-34, and the 80% was 28-37, we'd look at people that have real life experience (like you) with say a 29 MCAT, which is about what your 650 would be in Vandy's 80%. Some folks like me, look at the person having actual real life experience as far more important than standardized scores, and I'm sure in business admissions that much much more important. You've done things and seen things that most 25-30 year olds have not; no substitute for experience. That being said, there are plenty that will say "too old, not high enough scores" and chuck your app in the bin. I'd like to think most of us were the former rather than the latter, besides two of our best physician educators and physicians in general had a decade of experience in other fields: one was a banker for 10 years, and one was a high school teacher for 10. And I would have to assume the emphasis on real-world experience is more so in business. It certainly seems like you have a great reason for getting an MBA and a great reason for why Owen specifically, so I would say that greatly helps your chances. A big question they may ask is "at your age, why not get an EMBA?" But maybe not. Certainly worth trying, and the folks there seem wonderful and truly interested in a class with widely varied interests.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 33
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Vanderbilt (Owen) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 06:26
I posted this in the general Vanderbilt thread, but I don't think it is very active, so I wanted to post it in here.

For anyone who is going to Vanderbilt or has done research on the program, do you think Vanderbilt would offer significant value over a large state school that is normally ranked in the 40-60 range? I would save about 70-80k in tuition costs by going to the state school so I didn't know if others thought that Vanderbilt would add that much more value in terms of prestige, alumni network, career progress, etc. over a large state school program.

I am content at both schools with issues like school location, geographic placement after the MBA, etc.,
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 15 Oct 2012
Posts: 82
Location: Guatemala
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V35
GRE 1: 318 Q160 V158
GRE 2: 318 Q160 V158
GPA: 3.21
WE: Business Development (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: Vanderbilt (Owen) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 10:53
It really depends on what your goals are, what type of connections you already have and what geographic location you want to work in. In my opinion, Vanderbilt has great alumni connections, and because of the small class sizes they are not depleted like in bigger schools. Also, if you want to stay in the South Vanderbilt carries a lot of prestige and could help you get your foot in the door upon graduation and beyond.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 15 Oct 2012
Posts: 82
Location: Guatemala
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V35
GRE 1: 318 Q160 V158
GRE 2: 318 Q160 V158
GPA: 3.21
WE: Business Development (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: Vanderbilt (Owen) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 14:41
Hey Benpack,

I was going through previous chat sessions and found this question and answer that might encourage you.

Comment From james
I am 38years old..
Is it too late to apply full time mba with my age?


Owen Marketing Team: James, it is definitely not too late to apply. I am sitting next to Hal, who is a very fit 35 years of age. And we have a student in this year's graduating class who is 47. As I've mentioned earlier, we look to have as much diversity of thought and experience as possible when building our classes here at Owen.

Next Online Chat is tomorrow btw.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2008
Posts: 86
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Vanderbilt (Owen) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 13:08
Tightlines,

To me its all in where you feel your heart is. Like fv said, Vanderbilt has a tremendous alumni network in the south and the world. I am looking at some big state schools too. Its a hard toss up. I don't look at it as where I will save the most money, I look at it as where my heart is. I have often noted that the most successful people were the ones who were the happiest where they were at and what they were doing.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2008
Posts: 86
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Vanderbilt (Owen) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 13:09
fv113 wrote:
Hey Benpack,

I was going through previous chat sessions and found this question and answer that might encourage you.

Comment From james
I am 38years old..
Is it too late to apply full time mba with my age?


Owen Marketing Team: James, it is definitely not too late to apply. I am sitting next to Hal, who is a very fit 35 years of age. And we have a student in this year's graduating class who is 47. As I've mentioned earlier, we look to have as much diversity of thought and experience as possible when building our classes here at Owen.

Next Online Chat is tomorrow btw.


This sounds VERY encouraging.......
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2008
Posts: 86
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Vanderbilt (Owen) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 13:22
krudget wrote:
benpack03 wrote:
Btw, I sent this to fv113 but I wanted to ask some of your opinions as well. I'm 37 and have 15 years of experience in the construction industry. I have a 2.8 but double majored in civil and environmental engineering at a large state university (NC State in Raleigh). I also am a licensed Professional Engineer in North Carolina. I have a 650 on my GMAT - Q39/V40. Do I have a realistic shot at getting into Owen if I rocked on the essays - it is my dream school. I want to use their incredible real estate concentration to go into development combing my construction experience. I asked fv113 this, but in no disrespect to him just wanted to get some more opinions. fv, when you come in - let me know.


Sounds good, hope to see you at Discovery Weekend. They have a tonne of stuff planned for us it looks like.

As far as if you're competitive, I honestly don't know. I helped with med school admissions in my second year, so hopefully its somewhat analogous. We'd get 'older' candidates with a variety of real life experiences and distinct goals and would be open to them. For example if our MCAT average was a 33-34, and the 80% was 28-37, we'd look at people that have real life experience (like you) with say a 29 MCAT, which is about what your 650 would be in Vandy's 80%. Some folks like me, look at the person having actual real life experience as far more important than standardized scores, and I'm sure in business admissions that much much more important. You've done things and seen things that most 25-30 year olds have not; no substitute for experience. That being said, there are plenty that will say "too old, not high enough scores" and chuck your app in the bin. I'd like to think most of us were the former rather than the latter, besides two of our best physician educators and physicians in general had a decade of experience in other fields: one was a banker for 10 years, and one was a high school teacher for 10. And I would have to assume the emphasis on real-world experience is more so in business. It certainly seems like you have a great reason for getting an MBA and a great reason for why Owen specifically, so I would say that greatly helps your chances. A big question they may ask is "at your age, why not get an EMBA?" But maybe not. Certainly worth trying, and the folks there seem wonderful and truly interested in a class with widely varied interests.


Krudget,

This was very informative, thank you. I realize that a lot of my candidacy rests on my essays and how well I convey my experience and where I want the Owen MBA to take me. I have thought about hiring an admissions consultant to help me, but I'm not sure yet. Thank you for your very valued opinion though.

I look forward to meeting you on the 9th - it does look like a blast. It looks like they may take us on tours of Nashville. If you've never been there, Nashville is a nice town.
Re: Vanderbilt (Owen) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 30 Oct 2012, 13:22
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
57 Experts publish their posts in the topic Owen (Vanderbilt) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! nishant1006 241 25 Apr 2013, 07:59
16 Experts publish their posts in the topic Vanderbilt (Owen) 2013 - Calling All Applicants fv113 181 22 Oct 2012, 04:08
13 Experts publish their posts in the topic Vanderbilt Owen 2012 - Calling All Applicants dzyubam 184 29 Jul 2011, 05:22
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling all Owen - Vanderbilt 2011 Applicants/Admits treehugger 58 09 Dec 2010, 14:15
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Vanderbilt (Owen) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10    Next  [ 182 posts ] 



cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.