Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 17:52

Going on right now!

Live Q&A Session with HKU Admissions Team | Join the chat room to participate.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Vandy ($) / Rice / Texas (WL) - Family Health

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q V
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Vandy ($) / Rice / Texas (WL) - Family Health [#permalink] New post 13 May 2013, 12:52
The decision to attend Vanderbilt was all but made. They were so kind to offer a full-tuition scholarship. I live in Houston and am a Texas attorney.

My mother was recently diagnosed with early on set Parkinson’s Disease. It’s why I’m considering now paying the sticker price to attend Rice Jones.

Also, I’m more actively pursuing Texas McCombs just be able to be close to home. But, added to current law school debt, MBA debt may be too much.

What would you do? Just really need sincere advice. Thanks.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 96

Re: Vandy ($) / Rice / Texas (WL) - Family Health [#permalink] New post 13 May 2013, 13:36
This post received
KUDOS
bassetfound wrote:
The decision to attend Vanderbilt was all but made. They were so kind to offer a full-tuition scholarship. I live in Houston and am a Texas attorney.

My mother was recently diagnosed with early on set Parkinson’s Disease. It’s why I’m considering now paying the sticker price to attend Rice Jones.

Also, I’m more actively pursuing Texas McCombs just be able to be close to home. But, added to current law school debt, MBA debt may be too much.

Tough situation. First. have you tried discussing your financial situation with rice and telling them that you'd like to really go there but were offered full tuition elsewhere. Some schools take to that, others don't. But worth a shot.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 133 [1] , given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Vandy ($) / Rice / Texas (WL) - Family Health [#permalink] New post 13 May 2013, 14:01
This post received
KUDOS
bassetfound wrote:

I think you need to talk to the doctors about the prognosis for your mother. Your mother may begin showing acute symptoms in a month, a year, or even a decade. Does she live alone or does she need you to care for her? Perhaps she could relocate with you if you are caring for her. The amount that you'll save could more than make up the difference in moving costs.

All this aside, Houston is not that far from Vandy, but this is a really personal decision that only you can make.

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Intern
Intern

Re: Vandy ($) / Rice / Texas (WL) - Family Health [#permalink] New post 13 May 2013, 16:33
machichi wrote:
bassetfound wrote:

I think you need to talk to the doctors about the prognosis for your mother. Your mother may begin showing acute symptoms in a month, a year, or even a decade. Does she live alone or does she need you to care for her? Perhaps she could relocate with you if you are caring for her. The amount that you'll save could more than make up the difference in moving costs.

All this aside, Houston is not that far from Vandy, but this is a really personal decision that only you can make.

Her handwriting changed, and I noticed because a hobby of mine is authenticating autographs for a sports memorabilia company. The doctors believe this newly patent drug may be able slow down the progression because we caught it early. But, you are right Nashville isn't so far away from Houston. I just don't want to regret this decision years later.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 628

Premium Member
Re: Vandy ($) / Rice / Texas (WL) - Family Health [#permalink] New post 13 May 2013, 17:44
I think the answer here would be different for everyone. For what it's worth, I wouldn't think you are crazy at all for choosing Rice despite the full ride to Vandy based on what you've mentioned.

If things don't work out with pushing Rice for a scholarship, could you defer at Vandy and/or Rice? You could spend that extra time around home with your mom and, perhaps, reapply to McCombs. Just a thought.
Intern
Intern

Re: Vandy ($) / Rice / Texas (WL) - Family Health [#permalink] New post 13 May 2013, 18:30
kingfalcon wrote:
I think the answer here would be different for everyone. For what it's worth, I wouldn't think you are crazy at all for choosing Rice despite the full ride to Vandy based on what you've mentioned.

If things don't work out with pushing Rice for a scholarship, could you defer at Vandy and/or Rice? You could spend that extra time around home with your mom and, perhaps, reapply to McCombs. Just a thought.

Your insight is worth a lot to me, and vey much appreciated. I just recently doubled my small business profits after being told I was crazy for not using analytics. Sometimes an outsider perspective like yours is needed.

Anyways, McCombs reached out to me requesting a phone call conversations for wait list updating purposes. It's scheduled for later this week. And, the good news is that my work background is better since my application.

I'm inclined to reveal my financial circumstance in the call, the fact of a scholarship elsewhere, but as with any other school-- it may be too sad violen to mention the other thing. Trying to focus on a professional approach.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 628

Premium Member
Re: Vandy ($) / Rice / Texas (WL) - Family Health [#permalink] New post 13 May 2013, 19:22
bassetfound wrote:
kingfalcon wrote:

Your insight is worth a lot to me, and vey much appreciated. I just recently doubled my small business profits after being told I was crazy for not using analytics. Sometimes an outsider perspective like yours is needed.

Anyways, McCombs reached out to me requesting a phone call conversations for wait list updating purposes. It's scheduled for later this week. And, the good news is that my work background is better since my application.

I'm inclined to reveal my financial circumstance in the call, the fact of a scholarship elsewhere, but as with any other school-- it may be too sad violen to mention the other thing. Trying to focus on a professional approach.

No sweat, man. I'm incredibly close to my mom, too, so your plight really resonated with me. Please do let us know how things turn out and best wishes to you and your mom in this incredibly difficult time!
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q V
GPA: 2.99
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 42

Re: Vandy ($) / Rice / Texas (WL) - Family Health [#permalink] New post 14 May 2013, 05:57
bassetfound wrote:
kingfalcon wrote:

Hi bassetfound, I could be off base here, but upon reading that you plan to reveal your scholarship on your call with McCombs, it struck me that you might need to be very tactful there. You don't want to give them the impression that if they can't give you a scholarship then you won't accept. You need for them to know that they are your number one choice.

It might be better to wait to see if you are even accepted before bringing money into it. It sounds like you would potentially be willing to forgo the scholarship for a chance to attend McCombs and be closer to home, in that case I might not mention the money at Vanderbilt on your call. Just a thought.

Also, agreed with KingFalcon, I don't think anyone would question your decision to take Rice over full tuition in light of the circumstances. Also I imagine you will want to end up back in Texas after school to be close to family? I imagine Rice would place you better than Vanderbilt in Texas anyway. But giving up all that money sure is tough. Good luck, fingers crossed Rice can offer you something!
Re: Vandy ($) / Rice / Texas (WL) - Family Health   [#permalink] 14 May 2013, 05:57