Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 07:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Vasily: My cat enjoys going outside if it is not raining

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, Other
GPA: 2.44
WE: Project Management (Telecommunications)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 90 [1] , given: 319

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Vasily: My cat enjoys going outside if it is not raining [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2014, 01:00
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

57% (02:44) correct 43% (01:38) wrong based on 133 sessions
Vasily: My cat enjoys going outside if it is not raining and if the large feral tabby cat that lives in the alley is nowhere nearby. If it is raining, my cat does not enjoy going outside, save in one circumstance: if the white Siamese cat who lives across the street is around, my cat does enjoy going outside regardless.

Which of the following do the statements above most adequately support?

A)If the Siamese cat is outside, Vasily’s cat will ignore the large feral tabby.

B)If the large feral tabby is nearby, Vasily’s cat will not enjoy going outside.

C)If it is raining and Vasily’s cat is enjoying itself, then the large feral tabby must be nowhere nearby.

D)If Vasily’s cat is enjoying going outside and the large feral tabby is nowhere nearby, then either it is not raining or the white Siamese is around.

E) If Vasily’s cat does not enjoy going outside, then either the large feral tabby is nearby or it is not raining.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 56

Re: Vasily: My cat enjoys going outside if it is not raining [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2014, 03:01
Good question. tricky! Was between B & D and selected the wrong option :|

Click on Kudos if you liked the post!

Practice makes Perfect.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 28

Re: Vasily: My cat enjoys going outside if it is not raining [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2014, 10:10
guerrero25 wrote:
Vasily: My cat enjoys going outside if it is not raining and if the large feral tabby cat that lives in the alley is nowhere nearby. If it is raining, my cat does not enjoy going outside, save in one circumstance: if the white Siamese cat who lives across the street is around, my cat does enjoy going outside regardless.

Which of the following do the statements above most adequately support?

A)If the Siamese cat is outside, Vasily’s cat will ignore the large feral tabby.

B)If the large feral tabby is nearby, Vasily’s cat will not enjoy going outside.

C)If it is raining and Vasily’s cat is enjoying itself, then the large feral tabby must be nowhere nearby.

D)If Vasily’s cat is enjoying going outside and the large feral tabby is nowhere nearby, then either it is not raining or the white Siamese is around.

E) If Vasily’s cat does not enjoy going outside, then either the large feral tabby is nearby or it is not raining.

Please dont leave the discussion without giving out the OA and the OE.. it would confuse us instead.

Thanks in advance.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '16, IIMA (M)
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 46

Re: Vasily: My cat enjoys going outside if it is not raining [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2014, 10:22
FACT 1......Vasily's cat enjoys going outside if it is not raining and if the large feral tabby cat that lives in the alley is nowhere nearby.
FACT 2.......If it is raining, the cat does not enjoy going outside, save in one circumstance: if the white Siamese cat who lives across the street is around, my cat does enjoy going outside regardless.

D) If Vasily’s cat is enjoying going outside and the large feral tabby is nowhere nearby, then either it is not raining or the white Siamese is around....clear correct answer

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 28

Re: Vasily: My cat enjoys going outside if it is not raining [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2014, 21:32
semwal wrote:
FACT 1......Vasily's cat enjoys going outside if it is not raining and if the large feral tabby cat that lives in the alley is nowhere nearby.
FACT 2.......If it is raining, the cat does not enjoy going outside, save in one circumstance: if the white Siamese cat who lives across the street is around, my cat does enjoy going outside regardless.

D) If Vasily’s cat is enjoying going outside and the large feral tabby is nowhere nearby, then either it is not raining or the white Siamese is around....clear correct answer

I agree D is corret.

But Why is B wrong?
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '16, IIMA (M)
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)

Kudos [?]: 37 [2] , given: 46

Re: Vasily: My cat enjoys going outside if it is not raining [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2014, 02:51
This post received
KUDOS
aditya111

B)If the large feral tabby is nearby, Vasily’s cat will not enjoy going outside.,....see the Fact 1......" My cat enjoys going outside if it is not raining and if the large feral tabby cat that lives in the alley is nowhere nearby".[/color]

the fact may not be true in reverse also...........ie if my cat enjoys going outside when the large tabby is not around....that does not mean....If the large feral tabby is nearby, Vasily’s cat will not enjoy going outside. in any case------The vasily's cat enjoys going outside if it is not raining...........so what if the large tabby is there............

kudos if you please.
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Vasily: My cat enjoys going outside if it is not raining [#permalink] New post 09 May 2014, 15:39
VeritasPrepKarishma, VeritasPrepBrian

#Can you guys give us a hand with this one? I also thought B was better than D over here

Thanks!!
Cheers
J :)
Re: Vasily: My cat enjoys going outside if it is not raining   [#permalink] 09 May 2014, 15:39