Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 04:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Verb-ed modifiers Vs. Verb-ing modifiers

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 06-08-2014
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

Re: Verb-ed modifiers Vs. Verb-ing modifiers [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2014, 21:51
maheshsrini wrote:
Can you please clarify my question on the below sentence. What does the protecting and regulating modify?.

For the Stegosauraus, a dinosaur, the seventeen bony plates embedded in its back were necessary elements for survival, regulating its temperature throughout its bus-sized body and protecting it from much larger carnivores.

Can we change or rewrite the above sentence in the below way? Pls explain and correct me if I am wrong. Also explain what is the difference between these two sentences. And If the answer choices contain both of these options which one we need to choose..?

For the Stegosauraus, a dinosaur, the seventeen bony plates embedded in its back were necessary elements for survival, to regulate its temperature throughout its bus-sized body and to protect it from much larger carnivores
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 20

Re: Verb-ed modifiers Vs. Verb-ing modifiers [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2014, 19:28
egmat wrote:
Singular “that” cannot refer to plural “life-forms”.

Hi,

that in "E) Scientists have gathered evidence that suggests a much earlier emergence of complex life-forms than that" refers to "emergence of complex life-forms" & not just "life-forms" & that should be correct.
"emergence of complex life-forms" is a noun phrase, so, "that" can refer to it => Evidence suggests a much earlier emergence of life-forms than the emergence (of life-forms) they had previously thought.

No? Could you please explain why or why not? I'm not able to get my head around it. Please help.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Verb-ed modifiers Vs. Verb-ing modifiers [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2014, 02:14
The level 1 for SC in egmat does states that verb-ed modifies the closest noun and there is no exception to it and all examples are given for nouns, however in explanation it states verb-ed modifies noun clause also , this creates confusion, this should be correct or should not be stated as rule with "nouns and without anu"
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Verb-ed modifiers Vs. Verb-ing modifiers [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2014, 02:15
The level 1 for SC in egmat does states that verb-ed modifies the closest noun and there is no exception to it and all examples are given for nouns, however in explanation it states verb-ed modifies noun clause also , this creates confusion, this should be correct or should not be stated as rule with "nouns and without exception"
Manager
Manager

Re: Verb-ed modifiers Vs. Verb-ing modifiers [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2014, 16:15
sonalj17 wrote:
The level 1 for SC in egmat does states that verb-ed modifies the closest noun and there is no exception to it and all examples are given for nouns, however in explanation it states verb-ed modifies noun clause also , this creates confusion, this should be correct or should not be stated as rule with "nouns and without exception"

Hi,
Thanks for replying.
The sentence is grammatically correct but is wordy & awkward & that is as big a problem as a grammatical error itself.
For more details, please read: digging-in-sediments-in-northern-china-evidence-has-been-136456-20.html#p1351352
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1267

Kudos [?]: 3527 [2] , given: 185

Re: Verb-ed modifiers Vs. Verb-ing modifiers [#permalink] New post 16 May 2014, 13:22
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
hhakud wrote:
For the Stegosauraus, a dinosaur, the seventeen bony plates embedded in its back were necessary elements for survival, regulating its temperature throughout its bus-sized body and protecting it from much larger carnivores.

Can we change or rewrite the above sentence in the below way? Pls explain and correct me if I am wrong. Also explain what is the difference between these two sentences. And If the answer choices contain both of these options which one we need to choose..?

For the Stegosauraus, a dinosaur, the seventeen bony plates embedded in its back were necessary elements for survival, to regulate its temperature throughout its bus-sized body and to protect it from much larger carnivores

Hi hhakud,

Sorry for getting back to the thread so late.

Well, if you remove the comma before "to regulate", there will absolutely be no problem with the sentence at all.

But yes, there is a difference in the meaning of both the sentence.

Use of "comma + regulating and protecting" presents the HOW aspect of the preceding action. They provide additional information as to how the bony plates were necessary elements for survival.

Use of "to regulate and protect" presents the purpose or the reason why the bony plates were necessary for survival.

Now, if you get both the answer choices in the same question, then take a hint from the original sentence. If the original sentence uses comma + verb-ing then go by the choice with that modifier. If the original sentence has "to verb", then make the choice accordingly.

Original sentence presents ample of basis to understand the intended meaning of the sentence whether it wants to convey how the action is done or it wants to talk about the purpose.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative

Kudos [?]: 3527 [0], given: 185

Re: Verb-ed modifiers Vs. Verb-ing modifiers [#permalink] New post 16 May 2014, 13:46
Expert's post
divineacclivity wrote:
egmat wrote:

Hi,

that in "E) Scientists have gathered evidence that suggests a much earlier emergence of complex life-forms than that" refers to "emergence of complex life-forms" & not just "life-forms" & that should be correct.
"emergence of complex life-forms" is a noun phrase, so, "that" can refer to it => Evidence suggests a much earlier emergence of life-forms than the emergence (of life-forms) they had previously thought.

No? Could you please explain why or why not? I'm not able to get my head around it. Please help.

Hi divineacclivity,

Sorry for replying late.

The reason "that" cannot just refer to "emergence of complex lifeforms" because this phrase is preceded by adjective "a much earlier emergence of complex lifeforms". This entire phrase is a noun phrase. We just cannot cut out he adjective before it to suit our preference per the sentence. This is the reason why use of "that" in Choice D and E leads to incorrect comparison.

Thanks.
Shraddha

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative

Kudos [?]: 3527 [0], given: 185

Re: Verb-ed modifiers Vs. Verb-ing modifiers [#permalink] New post 16 May 2014, 13:59
Expert's post
sonalj17 wrote:

Hi Sonal,

I guess, we need a little correction here. There is nothing called "noun clause". Clauses are only of two types - Independent and dependent clauses. What you meant to say here is noun phrases.

When we say that verb-ed modifiers can modify preceding noun entity, that entity can be just a single noun word or it can be a noun phrase. In that case, the modifier modifies the head of the noun phrase. I know my eplanation would be sounding confusing to you right now. Read the following article, and you will know what I am talking about:

noun-modifiers-can-modify-slightly-far-away-noun-135868.html?hilit=Far%20away%20nouns

Thanks.
Shraddha

Manager
Manager

Re: Verb-ed modifiers Vs. Verb-ing modifiers [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2014, 08:18
Thanks for your reply Shraddha.

that in option D refers to "a much earlier emergence of complex life-forms" rather than just "emergence of life forms" - that's what you mean right.
(D) scientists have gathered evidence that suggests a much earlier emergence of complex life-forms than that which was

egmat wrote:
divineacclivity wrote:
egmat wrote:

Hi,

Hi divineacclivity,

Sorry for replying late.

The reason "that" cannot just refer to "emergence of complex lifeforms" because this phrase is preceded by adjective "a much earlier emergence of complex lifeforms". This entire phrase is a noun phrase. We just cannot cut out he adjective before it to suit our preference per the sentence. This is the reason why use of "that" in Choice D and E leads to incorrect comparison.

Thanks.
Shraddha
Re: Verb-ed modifiers Vs. Verb-ing modifiers   [#permalink] 08 Jun 2014, 08:18