Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:11 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4614 [176]
Given Kudos: 99
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [38]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 863 [34]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools:MBA, Thunderbird School of Global Management / BA, Wesleyan University
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1485 [10]
Given Kudos: 9
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Re: Rust can deteriorate a steel pipe to such an extent that it will snap [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
ugimba wrote:
Rust can deteriorate a steel pipe to such an extent that it will snap easily, as though it was a twig.

A) will snap easily, as though it was a twig
B) will snap easily, like a twig does
C) will snap easily, as though it is a twig
D) might snap easily, as though it was a twig
E) will snap easily, as though it were a twig

I picked C ..
as though (present tense) + future tense

But answer is given as E ... can some one explain?

You don't have here a construction present tense + future tense. The sentence compares hypothetically the pipe and the twig.

Consider the following analogy

present + will

if you train everyday, then you will run faster

if you train everyday, then you will run as if you were an athlete.

Both examples contain the construction present + will and the second just adds a hypothetical comparison.

In the same way you can eliminate as though ... from the sentence

Rust can deteriorate a steel pipe to such an extent that it will snap easily

The important thing to notice is that as though is just comparing hypothetically the pipe and the twig.
Is this clear for you?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [6]
Given Kudos: 25
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Re: Rust can deteriorate a steel pipe to such an extent that it will snap [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
We need to use the subjunctive form. Hence use of 'were'.

We use subjunctives mainly when talking about events that are not certain to happen but hope will happen.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 545 [3]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Here the sentence is a Hypothetical Subjunctive and for Hypothetical Subjunctives the 'to-be' form of the verb should always be in Plural.

Eg: If I were (not was) a rich man, I would buy a yacht.

On a side Note, a Hypothetical Subjunctive is a sentence in which a Hypothetical statement is made ... which may or may not be true.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
BKimball wrote:
Great work to all here. That said, I'd encourage you all to also be comfortable with the second split in this sentence (like vs. as), because that comes up just as often as the was/were issue.

Like: Can only be used to compare nouns
As: Can be used to compare clauses

"My uncle looks like my aunt." --> Correct: We're saying the two look similar to each other.
"My uncle looks at me as my aunt does."--> Correct: We're saying they both look at me in a similar way.

"My uncle looks as my aunt." --> Incorrect because "my aunt" is not a clause and needs "like."
"My uncle looks at me like my aunt does." --> Incorrect because we're comparing two clauses (how my uncle looks at me and how my aunt looks at me) and thus we need to use "as" instead of "like."

Just a little GMAT tip...

Brett

Thanks very much for your explanation.... can you help me in identifying flow in below mentioned problem

According to a study by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of
Teaching, companies in the United States are providing job training and general
education for nearly eight million people, about equivalent to the enrollment of
the nation’s four-year colleges and universities.
(C) equal to those who are enrolled in
(D) as many as the enrollment of
(E) as many as are enrolled in

I don't understand why C is wrong in terms of comparision, i don't know what is the difference in the C and D.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
hirendhanak wrote: I don't understand why C is wrong in terms of comparison, i don't know what is the difference in the C and D.

I just wish to point out a small custom here. The words - equal or equitant - are special words. (BTW, I don’t think there is any difference between them). These words can not be used to equate just one dimension of some factor. When we say that Franklin Roosevelt was one or the greatest presidents of America, equal to only Abraham Lincoln, we mean that Roosevelt matched Abe in all respects of his personality, not just in one or two attributes. Equality denotes an all-round and comprehensive idea of identically. This is why equal or equivalent isn’t the right choice here, since the comparison is just on one aspect of numbers. - As many as - will be a better choice.

D also wouldn’t be correct, since the expression - the enrollment of - isn’t idiomatic and elegant

E is the solution as far as I see.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 863 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools:MBA, Thunderbird School of Global Management / BA, Wesleyan University
Send PM
In the interest of finding all the errors here, notice also:

B uses "like" where it should use "as." (We are comparing two clauses, so we need to use "as.")

From here, you are all correct: We need to use "as though it were."
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GRE 1: Q800 V700
Send PM
E for me, though i was confused for a moment between E and B. can anyone explain why it cant be B. i understand that like can be used to compare. Is it wrong because of the use of "does"?

Pls explain
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30776 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
tsheshraj wrote:
E for me, though i was confused for a moment between E and B. can anyone explain why it cant be B. i understand that like can be used to compare. Is it wrong because of the use of "does"?

Pls explain

Hi tsheshraj,

The answer to your question is “Yes”. “Like” is used for comparison, but “like” is always followed by a noun entity and never by clause. In choice B for this sentence “like” is followed by a clause “a twig does”. This usage is incorrect. So, choice B can be eliminated easily.

For detailed explanation on correct usage of “like”, click on the following link:
as-vs-like-correct-and-incorrect-usages-133950.html#p1100728

You can also view detailed explanation on correct usage of “like” and practice quizzes by logging on to e-gmat.com. Register for free and view the “Usage of Like” concept in the free trial concepts.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [2]
Given Kudos: 47
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.34
WE:Business Development (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos