Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 06:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Verbal 41, Math 42 on princeton review CAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

Verbal 41, Math 42 on princeton review CAT [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2009, 07:01
Hi everyone, I just took a princeton review CAT (I'm doing their course) and got a 41 V and 42 M. They said it equaled a raw score of 670. However, when I input my verbal and math scores into the GMAT score calculator on 800score's website, it spit out a 690? Which one is correct? What is my raw score?

Also, how does princeton review & 800score's tests compare to the real GMAT? Tests I've taken so far:
Princeton: verbal 41, math 42 = 670 (according to them)
800score: verbal 41, math 39 = 660 (according to them)

Thanks!!!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 7

Re: Verbal 41, Math 42 on princeton review CAT [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2009, 07:49
All are guesstimates since no one knows the algorithm of the actual test.
I would just focus on my weaknesses. It seems you need to work on your quant.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 5

Re: Verbal 41, Math 42 on princeton review CAT [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2009, 00:31
The official practice tests represent the closest scores.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 9

Re: Verbal 41, Math 42 on princeton review CAT [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2009, 05:55
as mentioned above, do not take pr(not sure about 800 score) score seriously. try kaplan n manhattan for a closer gmat experience.
to my knowledge, the pr quant is easier than the gmat standard. verbal might be ok.
seeing ur scores.. u might want to give some attention to quants. i think preparing for the tougher will get u prepared better. ATB.
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 37

Re: Verbal 41, Math 42 on princeton review CAT [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2009, 06:03
GMATPrep is also a good indicator of where your score would fall. But simply by looking at your score, I would say work hard on the quant section. Most people are able to improve their quant section in a short amount of time in comparison with the verbal section. I would kill to get your verbal! I'd say don't worry too much about those scores, you're obviously scoring in a higher range than most people already. If you can study hard, get the fundamentals down for math, you'll probably be looking at >700 easily.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Verbal 41, Math 42 on princeton review CAT [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2009, 16:00
thanks for the advice everyone - i plan to take a some kaplan CATs and at least one of the manhattan ones (the free one). I have a CD with 4 kaplan CATs on it, but I also read somewhere that it was a de-motivator since most people get poor scores on it. I also plan to take a gmat club test and the official gmat prep tests. I've been working through the kaplan math workbook to work on my quant. The funny thing is, I think I'm pretty weak in RC too...but pretty solid on SC & CR...but I really want/need a 700+ score since I'm applying to a PhD program!
Intern
Intern

Re: Verbal 41, Math 42 on princeton review CAT [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2009, 07:53
Ok, so I just took the GMATprep tests (one of them) and got a 680 - Q 47 (!) and V 37. I was surprised with my quant because while i was taking it I thought I was doing horribly and guessed on more than I wanted to. I think I got lucky with some guessing...my verbal was a little interrupted by the fact that I had a terrible stomach ache during the test, but did not want to quit the exam before I finished (just had major surgery less than 2 months ago so it wasn't your normal stomach ache).

Give these results, should I keep working hard on quant? I feel like I know most of the concepts really well by now but when I see the questions in the way they are presented I just don't know where the start sometimes or what the shortcut is supposed to be (for those problems that they obviously don't expect you to calculate). I'm almost through with the kaplan math workbook too...

I also felt like RC was my weakest verbal but I thought the RC on the GMATprep test were some of the easiest I've seen (and hardly missed any of those)... did they make RC on GMATprep representative of the real RC?
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 37

Re: Verbal 41, Math 42 on princeton review CAT [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2009, 09:13
The RC is represented simply because all of the questions you've just done on GMATPrep came from actual exams. Grats on the score, by the way. If I were you, I would focus more on verbal. If you're able to pull that verbal score up, you'll be looking at a great GMAT score. I wouldn't put off quant though; seeing that you've done well (Q47, luck or not), you should still try to aim for a Q50 or above. However, right now my emphasis would be on verbal and paying close attention to why it's not over V40.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Verbal 41, Math 42 on princeton review CAT [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2009, 09:34
thanks bakfed! I will try to focus more on verbal. I had been putting that off lately in favor of quant. I'm aiming for a 700+ and I have about 1.5 weeks left so I will save the other GMATprep test for the last one I take.
Re: Verbal 41, Math 42 on princeton review CAT   [#permalink] 06 Aug 2009, 09:34