Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 04:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Verbal Challenge SC I

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1152 [2] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Verbal Challenge SC I [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2013, 22:41
This post received
KUDOS
Most present-day people would be shocked to learn that, in the early twentieth century, when colored baby clothing was first widely distributed to North American consumers, they marketed pink clothes primarily to boys and blue clothes mainly to girls.

In A and E the pronoun "they" has no reference, as the word "people" does not appear in the sentence.
Option D
learn when colored baby clothing was first widely distributed to North American consumers
seems to suggest (be very literal) : "learn WHEN this thing happened" (the modifier "when" seems to modify the action, giving a time frame).
In C the misplaced modifier "in the 20th century" refers to the verb "learn"
learn, in the early twentieth century when colored baby clothing was first widely distributed to North American consumers,
and "primarily pink" indicates that the clothing was primarily (or mostly) pink.

OA: B.
For all their usefulness in facilitating comparisons between cities of different sizes, per-capita statistics, especially crime rates, often shine an unfairly harsh light on small towns, in which a single incident can cause such figures to skyrocket.

In option B "despite" must be followed by a noun or a noun phrase, in option C "different sized cities" is incorrect as an adj "different" CANNOT modify another adjective "sized" (and adverb should be used).
Option D is not a sentence, as "per-capita statistics" has no verb, just modifiers.
Option E is incorrect because "For their usefulness" does not have the same meaning as the idiom "for all their usefulness".

OA: A.
A recent report from the Bureau of Justice states although only a fraction of a percent of the American population is in prison, approximately one out of every thirty two Americans are either in prison or on parole or probation.

The verb "states" here should be followed by "that": A and E are incorrect.
B and C are out on subject-verb agreement: "one out of (...)" "is" and not "are.

OA: D.

Hope everything is clear, if not we are here to discuss

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.81
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 12

Re: Verbal Challenge SC I [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2013, 23:25
1.B
2.A
3.D

What are the difficulty levels of the questions? 2nd one got me thinking for a while.

Citius, Altius, Fortius

VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1152 [0], given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Verbal Challenge SC I [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2013, 23:27
vabhs192003 wrote:
1.B
2.A
3.D

What are the difficulty levels of the questions? 2nd one got me thinking for a while.

Those are ranked by MGMAT as 700+.

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 13

Re: Verbal Challenge SC I [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2013, 06:37
Here are my choices

1. B)
2. A)
3. D)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 590 Q40 V30
GPA: 3.98
WE: Project Management (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 17

Re: Verbal Challenge SC I [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2014, 08:33
A recent report from the Bureau of Justice states although only a fraction of a percent of the American population is in prison, approximately one out of every thirty two Americans are either in prison or on parole or probation.

A)although only a fraction of a percent of the American population is in prison, approximately one out of every thirty two Americans are either in prison or on parole or probation.
states is a bossy verb, it needs to be followed by that.
B)that while less than a percent of the American population is in prison, one out of every thirty two Americans are either in prison, on parole, or on probation.
the verb following one out of every should be singular
C)that although less than one out of every one hundred American people are in prison, more than three percent of Americans are either in prison, on parole, or on probation.
same as B
D)that while only a fraction of a percent of the American population is in prison, one out of every thirty two Americans is either in prison, on parole, or on probation.
Here we go.
E)while only a fraction of a percent of the American population is in prison, one out of every thirty two Americans is either in prison, on parole, or probation.
states while? ...nah

Either suffer the pain of discipline, or suffer the pain of regret.

If my posts are helping you show some love awarding a kudos

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 540 Q50 V15
GMAT 2: 640 Q50 V27
GPA: 3.11
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 84

Re: Verbal Challenge SC I [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2014, 05:22
Got all the three correct...

1. B
2. B
3. D

Sahil Chaudhary
If you find this post helpful, please take a moment to click on the "+1 KUDOS" icon.
My IELTS 7.5 Experience
From 540 to 640...Done with GMAT!!!
http://www.sahilchaudhary007.blogspot.com

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Verbal Challenge SC I [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2014, 05:09
I was stuck between A and B in this question. The prepositional modifier (in the early twentient century) modifies North americans. Isn't it expected to modify distributed?

Choice B seems to convey as though colored baby clothing was passed on to north americans through some sort of time travel.

I understand A is a better choice between the two but to me none of the options look correct. Please help! looks like my ship is sinking
Re: Verbal Challenge SC I   [#permalink] 29 Jul 2014, 05:09