Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 20:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Verbal Challenge SC I

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 113

Kudos [?]: 1199 [1] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User
Verbal Challenge SC I [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2013, 03:50
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

84% (02:02) correct 16% (02:20) wrong based on 59 sessions
Hi guys! This is a set of 3 SC Questions part of the "Verbal Challenge".

Click here for the OAs and the OEs: verbal-challenge-sc-i-157051-20.html#p1253482.

1)Most present-day people would be shocked to learn that, in the early twentieth century, when colored baby clothing was first widely distributed to North American consumers, they marketed pink clothes primarily to boys and blue clothes mainly to girls.

A)learn that, in the early twentieth century, when colored baby clothing was first widely distributed to North American consumers, they marketed pink clothes primarily
B)learn that, when colored baby clothing was first widely distributed to North American consumers in the early twentieth century, pink clothes were marketed primarily
C)learn, in the early twentieth century when colored baby clothing was first widely distributed to North American consumers, that primarily pink clothes were marketed
D)learn when colored baby clothing was first widely distributed to North American consumers, in the early twentieth century, pink clothes, which were marketed primarily
E)learn, in the early twentieth century, that when colored baby clothing was first widely distributed to North American consumers, they marketed primarily pink clothes

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 1199 [0], given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Verbal Challenge SC I [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2013, 03:52
This post was
BOOKMARKED
2)For all their usefulness in facilitating comparisons between cities of different sizes, per-capita statistics, especially crime rates, often shine an unfairly harsh light on small towns, in which a single incident can cause such figures to skyrocket.
A)For all their usefulness in facilitating comparisons between cities of different sizes, per-capita statistics, especially crime rates, often
B)Despite they are useful in facilitating comparisons between differently sized cities, per-capita statistics, and especially crime rates, often
C)Because they are quite useful in facilitating comparisons between different sized cities, per-capita statistics, especially crime rates, can often
D)Quite useful when facilitating comparisons between differently sized cities, per-capita statistics, and especially crime rates, which frequently
E)For their usefulness in facilitating comparisons between different sized cities, per-capita statistics, especially crime rates, frequently

Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Last edited by Zarrolou on 31 Jul 2013, 04:09, edited 2 times in total.
Changed question, already discussed.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 1199 [0], given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Verbal Challenge SC I [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2013, 03:56
3)A recent report from the Bureau of Justice states although only a fraction of a percent of the American population is in prison, approximately one out of every thirty two Americans are either in prison or on parole or probation.
A)although only a fraction of a percent of the American population is in prison, approximately one out of every thirty two Americans are either in prison or on parole or probation.
B)that while less than a percent of the American population is in prison, one out of every thirty two Americans are either in prison, on parole, or on probation.
C)that although less than one out of every one hundred American people are in prison, more than three percent of Americans are either in prison, on parole, or on probation.
D)that while only a fraction of a percent of the American population is in prison, one out of every thirty two Americans is either in prison, on parole, or on probation.
E)while only a fraction of a percent of the American population is in prison, one out of every thirty two Americans is either in prison, on parole, or probation.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 13

Re: Verbal Challenge SC I [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2013, 04:06
Zarrolou wrote:
Hi guys! This is a set of 3 SC Questions part of the "Verbal Challenge".

The OA as well as the explanations will be out in 4-5 days, Kudos to correct explanations!

1)Most present-day people would be shocked to learn that, in the early twentieth century, when colored baby clothing was first widely distributed to North American consumers, they marketed pink clothes primarily to boys and blue clothes mainly to girls.

A)learn that, in the early twentieth century, when colored baby clothing was first widely distributed to North American consumers, they marketed pink clothes primarily
B)learn that, when colored baby clothing was first widely distributed to North American consumers in the early twentieth century, pink clothes were marketed primarily
C)learn, in the early twentieth century when colored baby clothing was first widely distributed to North American consumers, that primarily pink clothes were marketed
D)learn when colored baby clothing was first widely distributed to North American consumers, in the early twentieth century, pink clothes, which were marketed primarily
E)learn, in the early twentieth century, that when colored baby clothing was first widely distributed to North American consumers, they marketed primarily pink clothes

IMO A.

the verb learn should be followed by that to convene the meaning properly. This rules out C,D and E.
In B the when clause is a misplaced modifier..
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 13

Re: Verbal Challenge SC I [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2013, 04:20
This post received
KUDOS
Zarrolou wrote:
3)A recent report from the Bureau of Justice states although only a fraction of a percent of the American population is in prison, approximately one out of every thirty two Americans are either in prison or on parole or probation.
A)although only a fraction of a percent of the American population is in prison, approximately one out of every thirty two Americans are either in prison or on parole or probation.
B)that while less than a percent of the American population is in prison, one out of every thirty two Americans are either in prison, on parole, or on probation.
C)that although less than one out of every one hundred American people are in prison, more than three percent of Americans are either in prison, on parole, or on probation.
D)that while only a fraction of a percent of the American population is in prison, one out of every thirty two Americans is either in prison, on parole, or on probation.
E)while only a fraction of a percent of the American population is in prison, one out of every thirty two Americans is either in prison, on parole, or probation.

IMO D.

First part of the sentence would require "that'" after "states" to correctly convene the meaning., Therefore A and E are incorrect.
C changes the meaning.
In B, " one out of every thirty two American" requires the verb to be "is" and not are.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [2] , given: 13

Re: Verbal Challenge SC I [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2013, 04:23
This post received
KUDOS
Zarrolou wrote:
2)For all their usefulness in facilitating comparisons between cities of different sizes, per-capita statistics, especially crime rates, often shine an unfairly harsh light on small towns, in which a single incident can cause such figures to skyrocket.
A)For all their usefulness in facilitating comparisons between cities of different sizes, per-capita statistics, especially crime rates, often
B)Despite they are useful in facilitating comparisons between differently sized cities, per-capita statistics, and especially crime rates, often
C)Because they are quite useful in facilitating comparisons between different sized cities, per-capita statistics, especially crime rates, can often
D)Quite useful when facilitating comparisons between differently sized cities, per-capita statistics, and especially crime rates, which frequently
E)For their usefulness in facilitating comparisons between different sized cities, per-capita statistics, especially crime rates, frequently

IMO A.

B - "Despite they are" is incorrect.
C - "different sized cities" should be differently sized cities.
D - No working verb in the sentence. Its a run on sentence.
E - "different sized cities" should be differently sized cities.
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 614 [3] , given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Verbal Challenge SC I [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2013, 04:34
This post received
KUDOS
Zarrolou wrote:

IMO B

A)learn that, in the early twentieth century, when colored baby clothing was first widely distributed to North American consumers, they marketed pink clothes primarily===>pronoun THEY doesnt have a referrent
B)learn that, when colored baby clothing was first widely distributed to North American consumers in the early twentieth century, pink clothes were marketed primarily==>correct
C)learn, in the early twentieth century when colored baby clothing was first widely distributed to North American consumers, that primarily pink clothes were marketed===>highlited portion breaks the parallelism....correct parallelism is : primary to boys....mainly to girls.
D)learn when colored baby clothing was first widely distributed to North American consumers, in the early twentieth century, pink clothes, which were marketed primarily==>awkward wordy construction////learn when colored baby clothing was first widely distributed to North American consumers pink clothes==>doesnt makes sense.
E)learn, in the early twentieth century, that when colored baby clothing was first widely distributed to North American consumers, they marketed primarily pink clothes==>misplaced modifier and pronoun THEY DOESNT have a referrent.

Waiting OA

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 397 [1] , given: 241

Re: Verbal Challenge SC I [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2013, 04:34
This post received
KUDOS
There is no Antecedent for THEY (Who marketed pink clothes?). Moreover, this option is a Run-on . Thus Incorrect

Correct

Placement of "Primarily" changes the meaning of the sentence. In this option, it conveys the meaning that "Mainly Pink colored clothes were marketed to Boys. But other color clothes were also sold to boys." thus Incorrect
Original Intent - Boys were the main target segment for Pink color clothes.

People did not learn about X when clothing was distributed. This sentence is a FRAGMENT as there is not verb after "Pink clothes". In addition too many modifiers are placed together. Thus Incorrect

There is no Antecedent for THEY (Who marketed pink clothes?). Moreover, this option is a Run-on . Thus Incorrect

If you like my Question/Explanation or the contribution, Kindly appreciate by pressing KUDOS.
Kudos always maximizes GMATCLUB worth
-Game Theory

If you have any question regarding my post, kindly pm me or else I won't be able to reply

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 397 [2] , given: 241

Re: Verbal Challenge SC I [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2013, 04:39
This post received
KUDOS
One out of X construction must take Singular verb "IS". Absence of THAT, in the beginning, creates Run-on sentence. Thus Incorrect

One out of X construction must take Singular verb "IS". Thus Incorrect

One out of X construction must take Singular verb "IS". MORE THAN changes the intent of the sentence. Thus Incorrect

CORRECT

Absence of THAT, in the beginning, creates Run-on sentence. Thus Incorrect

If you like my Question/Explanation or the contribution, Kindly appreciate by pressing KUDOS.
-Game Theory

If you have any question regarding my post, kindly pm me or else I won't be able to reply

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 397 [1] , given: 241

Re: Verbal Challenge SC I [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2013, 04:55
This post received
KUDOS
Crime rates help in facilitating comparisons between cities of different sizes, but Per-capita statistics especially crime rates often shine an unfairly harsh light on small towns, in which a single incident can cause such figures to skyrocket. - A simple version of the sentence in which meaning & intent is clear.

CORRECT

"cities of different sizes" is better than "differently sized cities". Moreover, use of AND changes the focus of the sentence. Thus Incorrect

"cities of different sizes" is better than "differently sized cities". Moreover, CAN is incorrect as it shifts the focus from Truth to Ability. Thus Incorrect

"cities of different sizes" is better than "differently sized cities". Moreover, This option is both a Fragment (because there is no verb after "especially crime rates") & a Run-on (because 2 independent clause are connected by a COMMA {Comma Splice} - Quite useful.....cities + Comma + per-capita statistics....skyrocket). Thus Incorrect

"cities of different sizes" is better than "differently sized cities". Thus Incorrect

-Game Theory

2 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 614 [2] , given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Verbal Challenge SC I [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2013, 05:26
This post received
KUDOS
Zarrolou wrote:
For all their usefulness in facilitating comparisons between cities of different sizes, per-capita statistics, especially crime rates, often shine an unfairly harsh light on small towns, in which a single incident can cause such figures to skyrocket.

lets analyze the sentence:
For all their usefulness in facilitating comparisons between cities of different sizes
==>this is the modifier DESCRIBING PER CAPITA STATISTICS,
especially crime rates===>THIS IS ONE EXAMPLE OF PER CAPITA STATISTICS...so it must be between the commas touching PER CAPITA STATS.AS CORRECTLY PRESENT IN THE ORGINAL SENTENCE.
PER CAPITA STATS often SHINE an unfairly harsh light on small towns, in which a single incident can cause such figures to skyrocket.
PER CAPITA STATS==>PLURAL SUBJECT
SHINE==>VERB(PLURAL)
so all sub-verb agree in number
pronoun THEIR correctly refers to PER CAPITA STATS
modifier is correctly placed.
example of per capita stats ==>especially crime rates...correctly placed between the commas.
hence the original as such has no errors.

lets analyze options:

correct as explained above

B)Despite they are useful in facilitating comparisons between differently sized cities, per-capita statistics, and especially crime rates, often==>use of AND before the especially crime rates makes it wrong

use of because ...can ..changes the meaning//moreover different sized cities==little awkward..it should be cities of different sizes

use of WHEN changes the meaning...it should be IN
Use of and before especially crime rates ==>incorrect

because of the presence of WHICH ...sub PER CAPITA STATS doesnt have a verb AND hence a fragment.

this was the second contender....but cities of different sizes is better than different sized cities.

waiting OA

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 614 [1] , given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Verbal Challenge SC I [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2013, 05:33
This post received
KUDOS
A recent report from the Bureau of Justice states although only a fraction of a percent of the American population is in prison, approximately one out of every thirty two Americans are either in prison or on parole or probation.

A)although only a fraction of a percent of the American population is in prison, approximately one out of every thirty two Americans are either in prison or on parole or probation. ==>THAT is missing////sub -verb doesnt agree in number

B)that while less than a percent of the American population is in prison, one out of every thirty two Americans are either in prison, on parole, or on probation.==>sub -verb DOESNT AGREE NUMBER

C)that although less than one out of every one hundred American people are in prison, more than three percent of Americans are either in prison, on parole, or on probation.===>LESS THAN ONE DOESNT MAKES SENSE.

D)that while only a fraction of a percent of the American population is in prison, one out of every thirty two Americans is either in prison, on parole, or on probation.==>CORRECT

E)while only a fraction of a percent of the American population is in prison, one out of every thirty two Americans is either in prison, on parole, or probation.==>THAT is missing.....incorrect use of EITHER X ..OR Y

waiting OA

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: Verbal Challenge SC I [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2013, 02:08

[/quote]

A and E - they does not have clear antecedent..it seems they refer to consumers which is not the intended meaning.
D and B usage of when is wrong..

answer should be C as when clearly modifies twentieth century

kudos please if you like the explaination
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 43 [1] , given: 37

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Verbal Challenge SC I [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2013, 03:24
This post received
KUDOS

CORRECT Answer : B
A)learn that, in the early twentieth century, when colored baby clothing was first widely distributed to North American consumers, they marketed pink clothes primarily --- They has no reference. Incorrect
B)learn that, when colored baby clothing was first widely distributed to North American consumers in the early twentieth century, pink clothes were marketed primarily -- Correct. Use of "That". Modifier correctly placed
C)learn, in the early twentieth century when colored baby clothing was first widely distributed to North American consumers, that primarily pink clothes were marketed - Misplaced modifier.
D)learn when colored baby clothing was first widely distributed to North American consumers, in the early twentieth century, pink clothes, which were marketed primarily --- "That" is needed. Incorrect
E)learn, in the early twentieth century, that when colored baby clothing was first widely distributed to North American consumers, they marketed primarily pink clothes --- They has no reference. Incorrect.

Please give Kudos if you like the post

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Verbal Challenge SC I [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2013, 03:24
This post received
KUDOS

CORRECT Answer : A
A)For all their usefulness in facilitating comparisons between cities of different sizes, per-capita statistics, especially crime rates, often. ---- Correct. contrast is highlighted corrected. "especially crime rate" correctly refers as a subset of per-capita statistic
B)Despite they are useful in facilitating comparisons between differently sized cities, per-capita statistics, and especially crime rates, often -- Incorrect. "And especially crime rates" is wrong
C)Because they are quite useful in facilitating comparisons between different sized cities, per-capita statistics, especially crime rates, can often -- Incorrect. Contrast is needed
D)Quite useful when facilitating comparisons between differently sized cities, per-capita statistics, and especially crime rates, which frequently -- Incorrect. Contrast is needed. "And especially crime rates" is wrong
E)For their usefulness in facilitating comparisons between different sized cities, per-capita statistics, especially crime rates, frequently --- Incorrect. Contrast is needed.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Verbal Challenge SC I [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2013, 03:30
This post received
KUDOS

CORRECT Answer : D
A)although only a fraction of a percent of the American population is in prison, approximately one out of every thirty two Americans are either in prison or on parole or probation. -- Incorrect. "one out of every thirty two Americans are either" should be singular
B)that while less than a percent of the American population is in prison, one out of every thirty two Americans are either in prison, on parole, or on probation.-- Incorrect. "one out of every thirty two Americans are either" should be singular
C)that although less than one out of every one hundred American people are in prison, more than three percent of Americans are either in prison, on parole, or on probation.--- Incorrect. Meaning change
D)that while only a fraction of a percent of the American population is in prison, one out of every thirty two Americans is either in prison, on parole, or on probation. -- Correct. sub-verb correct. Meaning maintained. Either or correctly used
E)while only a fraction of a percent of the American population is in prison, one out of every thirty two Americans is either in prison, on parole, or probation. -- Incorrect. "either in prison or on parole" shouldd be the usage

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 530 Q43 V20
GMAT 2: 560 Q42 V25
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 65

Re: Verbal Challenge SC I [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2013, 06:53
Quote:

IMO answer is B

KUDOS is a way to say Thank You

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 530 Q43 V20
GMAT 2: 560 Q42 V25
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 65

Re: Verbal Challenge SC I [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2013, 07:21
This post received
KUDOS
Zarrolou wrote:

Between A & E - phrase cities of different sizes (A) expresses better than different sized cities (E). Also E does not have all (Not sure on this one)

IMO answer is A

KUDOS is a way to say Thank You

Manager
Manager
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 31

Re: Verbal Challenge SC I [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2013, 07:34
Here are my choices

1. B)
2. A)
3. A)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 12

Re: Verbal Challenge SC I [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2013, 22:14