Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 06:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Verbal completely owned me

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 570 Q46 V24
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 21

Verbal completely owned me [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2014, 07:43
I thought today would be the last day I would ever need to study for GMAT. I was not aiming for high score or anything. 650 was what I was aiming for. I gave prep test and scored 650. Q44, V35. Even if I had scored 600 today I would have been happy.

I am not good in Quants at all so spent 75%+ of my time doing quants. The only verbal I did was OG V and few questions from GMAT prep. My hit rate was around 90% in OG V and 75-80% in GMAT prep so I was confident that scoring at least 30 was possible. During exam I had no idea how the quants is going because some questions seemed very easy and some I even couldn't understand what they were asking. After doing Quants I thought I might end up scoring 38-39 so I had to put a lot of effort on the Verbal.

verbal started alright. First RC was easy and 2nd one was easier. I knew this is a bad sign so spent a lot of time in middle questions. Before I knew it I had 33mins and 21 questions to go. To make things worse 2 more RC passages. Got a very long RC science passage which I didn't understand a single word. So guessed all the 4 questions. Finally came down to last 3 questions with 2mins.

All in all, Q46 and V24. Had I managed to do little better in Vebal, things would have been very different. I have no idea where to begin again now.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 486

Kudos [?]: 1984 [0], given: 29

Re: Verbal completely owned me [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2014, 10:52
Expert's post
theGame001 wrote:
I thought today would be the last day I would ever need to study for GMAT. I was not aiming for high score or anything. 650 was what I was aiming for. I gave prep test and scored 650. Q44, V35. Even if I had scored 600 today I would have been happy.

I am not good in Quants at all so spent 75%+ of my time doing quants. The only verbal I did was OG V and few questions from GMAT prep. My hit rate was around 90% in OG V and 75-80% in GMAT prep so I was confident that scoring at least 30 was possible. During exam I had no idea how the quants is going because some questions seemed very easy and some I even couldn't understand what they were asking. After doing Quants I thought I might end up scoring 38-39 so I had to put a lot of effort on the Verbal.

verbal started alright. First RC was easy and 2nd one was easier. I knew this is a bad sign so spent a lot of time in middle questions. Before I knew it I had 33mins and 21 questions to go. To make things worse 2 more RC passages. Got a very long RC science passage which I didn't understand a single word. So guessed all the 4 questions. Finally came down to last 3 questions with 2mins.

All in all, Q46 and V24. Had I managed to do little better in Vebal, things would have been very different. I have no idea where to begin again now.

Dear theGame001,
I'm sorry to hear about your challenges, and I'm happy to respond. :-)

Here's a free idiom ebook:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-idiom-ebook/
Here's a three month study schedule for folks who struggle in verbal:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/3-month-gm ... l-focused/
In the right-side bar, you will also see a link to a six-month study plan.

The biggest recommendation I have for your retake is: READ. Read every day, at least an hour a day, over and above any GMAT preparations. Read hard challenging material in English. Since you want an MBA, the Wall Street Journal would be excellent reading for you --- it would prepare you to be highly informed on your B-school interviews. Because you found a science passage particularly difficult, I would highly recommend reading Scientific American articles. Here are some more recommendations:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-reading-list/
When you read, try to identify main ideas; try to discern the purpose of each paragraph; figure out why details are mentioned where they are; pay attention to arguments --- their assumptions as well as strengtheners and weakeners; analyze the structure of complex sentences --- the grammar, logic, and rhetoric. A regular habit of reading, sustained over months, can have a tremendous impact on your GMAT verbal performance.

I think Magoosh can really help you. We have a score guarantee:
http://gmat.magoosh.com/score-guarantee
Here's a free SC lesson:
http://gmat.magoosh.com/lessons/914-the ... rb-mistake
Here's a free RC question:
http://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/2721
Here's a free math question:
http://gmat.magoosh.com/admin/questions/785
When you submit your answer to each question, the following page will have a complete video explanation. Each one of our 700+ practice questions has its own video explanation, for accelerated learning.

Even if you decide not to use Magoosh, please take advantage of all the resources on that free blog: there's a lot there that can help you.

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 570 Q46 V24

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 21

Re: Verbal completely owned me [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2014, 11:13
thanks mike, but I used magoosh for my prep. However I only used it for Quants and it helped me a lot. I ignored its Verbal part. This is something I will have to change in retake.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 650 Q43 V35

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Verbal completely owned me [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2014, 13:54
if you really had a 90 % hit rate on verbal in the OG you should know all concepts already and there would be no need to study any more verbal. i had a 37 on my last Mgmat CAT and my hit rate in the OG is worse than 90%. maybe you took too much time for each problem while you were studying, it sounds like you just have to improve your timing and this should improve your overall performance because somebody who solved almost every og problem correctly should be able to score in the 40's in my opinion.
Re: Verbal completely owned me   [#permalink] 07 Jan 2014, 13:54