Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 05:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Verbal: CR and RC questions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Verbal: CR and RC questions [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2004, 08:22
Hi,

I have one week to my second GMAT.

My weakest link is definitely assumption, RC, and CR questions. I am pretty confident of SC in general, more than 80% right most of the time.

What strategies do you recommend so that I can improve the weak areas? I've done my practices but somehow still can't grasp the technique to getting assumption, RC, and CR questions right.

Some recommended that I try Barron's, which has good verbal questions. Or should I try the gmax ones online? I've already practiced the verbal questions in Kaplan and PR.

appreciate your advice pl. Thanks in advance. :P
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2004, 09:33
Hi karovd, I would stay away from Barron as there has been many negative reviews on that including my own. I used their material and really did not like it. I would suggest you to stick with the OG but the 20% SC that you missed and % CR/RC that you missed, you should go through them in DETAIL. I considered the OG my own GMAT bible and you should know it inside out. Try not to know the SC correction by heart. Instead, you should know how to explain each and everyone in your own words. I got about 95% SC correct in OG and the ones I missed, I knew exactly how to explain them. I knew also how to accept and reject each answer choice. Your SC skill is not to be neglected because the truth is that in most of the GMAT cases, you will start off with 1 or a few SCs in a row. Should you miss those early ones, it will undoubtedly impact your score.

As far as RC and CR are concerned, if you ran out of material, I would suggest you to use the Arco LSAT book. I used that and I found it relatively good and will it certainly sharpen your RC and CR skills. But remember that you have to analyze the CR and RC in an excruciating way. Do not simply go to the answer key and say: "Oh, it was A, I got E. Let's move on". That is the worst approach and will only ensure that you know the answer, not the concepts. This is a painful process, let's admit it, but it is the ONLY way that will improve your verbal accuracy.

Akamai once taught me this and I commited it to memory.

Best Regards,

Paul

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2004, 07:14
Thanks, I bought the OG and after going thru some of the, the questions are the closest to the actual test. :)

But I found it useful to go thru the verbal theories in PR, which gives you some useful tips on tackling verbal questions.
  [#permalink] 22 Nov 2004, 07:14