Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:55 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [17]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1371 [1]
Given Kudos: 46
WE:Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1215 [2]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: A study of 200 comedy fiction readers revealed the impact of Wodehouse [#permalink]
gmatter0913 wrote:
I marked D because the other options are completely absurd. But, I don't know how is D correct? Where did 14 come from?

This is how I arrived at the conclusion hope this helps.

Premise X: Also, most of the 20 students who read the fewest number of novels revealed below-average levels of emotional comfort.

Premise Y: that some 10 students who read the greatest number of novels reported lower stress levels and higher energy levels

Premise Z: Each of the 200 participants was asked to read at least one novel per day over the course of 12 days

D: More than 8 participants read at least 14 novels during the course of the experiment.

Now using X and Z we can conclude that 20 people read atleast 1 novel per day over the course of 12 days. Since X also says that "most of the 20 students who read the fewest ..." the number of students who read the least is 20.

Using X, Y and Z, you will see 3 lists... Greatest number of novels read, some middle group, least number of novels read. Which means worst case scenario 10(greatest read ~should be a number greater than the number that the middle group seems to have read), some middle group(~number of books read should be a number greater than 12, 20(least read ~12 books). If there is a greatest number and there is a least number and their total doesnt add up to 200 then there MUST BE A MIDDLE GROUP

Therefore option D fits directly into this conclusion we come across. Hope this answers your question :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 103 [1]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Re: A study of 200 comedy fiction readers revealed the impact of Wodehouse [#permalink]
Kudos
KUDOS to daagh for putting this question for discussion

[2:17] - worked by eliminating...

but just to know if I understood the problem right reason:

From the premise :
200 - readers who read 1 book @ day for 12 days -- at least 12 novels each for 200 readers
20 fewest numbers blah.. blah.. -- they must have read 12 novels (that's the min), so rest 180 has to be over 12 novels
10 highest .. -- so if 180 readers read 13 novels or more then these 10 (to be highest) must have read 14 (at least)

The only assumption i took - no one reads half a novel

kudos awaits for pointing my error.

Thanks

daagh wrote:
A study of 200 comedy fiction readers revealed the impact of Wodehouse’s’ novels on human emotions. Each of the 200 participants was asked to read at least one novel per day over the course of 12 days. At the end of the experiment, all of the readers filled out a survey assessing their emotional state. It was found from the survey that some 10 students who read the greatest number of novels reported lower stress levels and higher energy levels. Also, most of the 20 students who read the fewest number of novels revealed below-average levels of emotional comfort.

Which of the following must be true based on the evidence presented above?

A: A majority of the participants lowered stress levels and reported higher emotional ease.
B: During each week of the experiment, the participants spent at least 2 hours less per day on their academic work as a result of reading.
C: Reading Wodehouse’s novels for at least 2 hours per day improves the emotional well-being of the majority of young adults.
D: More than 8 participants read at least 14 novels during the course of the experiment.
E: At least some of the students participated in the study in order to gain free access to Wodehouse’s novels.

OA: D
OE:
A: There is no such information in the stimulus
B: There is no mention that they read during their academic hours. They could have done so in their leisure hours.
C: We cannot generalize for the group of young adults entirely based on a sample experiment 200 people
D: Correct Answer. The least read was 12, the maximum 14 and the others 170 read 13 novels. So we can safely conclude that more than 8 people say 9 or 10 read at least 14 novels.
E: Irrelevant
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [2]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
daagh wrote:
A study of 200 comedy fiction readers revealed the impact of Wodehouse’s’ novels on human emotions. Each of the 200 participants was asked to read at least one novel per day over the course of 12 days. At the end of the experiment, all of the readers filled out a survey assessing their emotional state. It was found from the survey that some 10 students who read the greatest number of novels reported lower stress levels and higher energy levels. Also, most of the 20 students who read the fewest number of novels revealed below-average levels of emotional comfort.

Which of the following must be true based on the evidence presented above?

A: A majority of the participants lowered stress levels and reported higher emotional ease.
B: During each week of the experiment, the participants spent at least 2 hours less per day on their academic work as a result of reading.
C: Reading Wodehouse’s novels for at least 2 hours per day improves the emotional well-being of the majority of young adults.
E: At least some of the students participated in the study in order to gain free access to Wodehouse’s novels.

this is a must be true question..we must select an answer choice that is 100% true based on the info given in the argument.

A. not really. we only know that top 20 lowered stress level and reported higher energy levels. nothing about emotional ease.
B. no, we are told that at least 1 novel per day...not how many hours..so out.
C. not really...we cannot conclude that.
D. yes!!! so at least 12 books were read...suppose 20 students read 12 books only. we cannot have fewer..since 12 is the minimum. in this case, 180 read 13+. but if all read 13, then we would not have 10 students who read the greatest number of novels...it can be concluded that 10 students read more than 13 books. in this case, 8 read at least 14 books is always true. so D is the correct answer.
E. gives new info, which never is correct in this type of questions.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
the answer is D. There are many similar questions that use the same pattern in this question; the pattern here is the number of novels and the number of readers.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
It is possible that greatest number of novel read is 13. In such case no option is correct.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts