Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 14:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

verbal- GMATprep vs real thing

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
verbal- GMATprep vs real thing [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2011, 20:51
What's up family,

Thanks in advance to EVERYONE on this board! You have all been great.

So a lot of people here seem to get lower scores on their actual verbal section versus their mock verbal sections. Is this a trend?

To my surprise, I scored a 38 and 40 on my two GMAT prep practice exams. I was surprised because I had not yet started studying for verbal. Also, although I have always done well with comprehension in a general sense, I am a slow reader. Nevertheless, I am curious about my potential in this area. I have since started reviewing SC and I have learned a lot since I took those exams.

For people who actually took the exam, what was your experience?

Is a 38-40 on these GMAT prep tests a false hope? Do you think with some review and practice I can aim for a 42-43 on the actual exam?

Thanks in advance!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.4
WE: Design (Advertising and PR)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 5

Re: verbal- GMATprep vs real thing [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2011, 21:34
Yeah absolutely, I'd say you can gain 5 or 6 points just by getting used to the format. I never ever practiced a single verbal problem or concept and my scores in it on gmatprep went 35, 37, 38, 44, 42. And the real GMAT verbal was about the same as gmatprep 1, gmatprep 2 seemed a bit easier than the real thing. Of course, maybe I'd have improved even more if I'd studied. Its up to you, but do practice the format of the test by taking lots of practice CATs, something that people often overlook.

Nice Marmot.

Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
Re: verbal- GMATprep vs real thing [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2011, 22:06
Thanks man. Quick question- it appears that you redid the Gmat Prep tests several times. Did you get any repeated questions? Did you reinstall the software? Thanks again.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2235

Kudos [?]: 8407 [0], given: 3646

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: verbal- GMATprep vs real thing [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2011, 22:10
Expert's post
Doing them the second time you will encounter a few repeats (not many) even if you reinstall. Doing them the third time, you will encounter about a third or a half repeats; depending on how you do.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: verbal- GMATprep vs real thing [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2011, 03:22
Hi
definitely you can increase a 5 point in verbal . You can aim for 44.
How about your performance in quant?
Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
Re: verbal- GMATprep vs real thing [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2011, 05:16
I got a 44 on GmatPrep Quant both times I took it (a day apart), but I think I have improved since then. Looking back, I certainly hope I can do better (the questions seem pretty easy now in comparison, and there were quite a few dumb mistakes). I started taking the Gmat Club challenge sets. I did OK, but not exceptional, getting about 27-28 correct for each set (except for the last two sets, 5 and 6, smashed me! only 20 correct per set there...). I actually have a question about timing on these sets (I had trouble finishing the last few on time), but I will open a new thread so people can respond directly. Overall, I have learned a lot from these sets so far.

My goal is a 48 on quant. Considering my scores on the challenge sets plus another month of study before the exam, do you think this is reasonable?
Re: verbal- GMATprep vs real thing   [#permalink] 02 Dec 2011, 05:16