Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 07:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Verbal help needed...Exam in 2 weeks !!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Verbal help needed...Exam in 2 weeks !!! [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2010, 10:50
Hello Guys,

I gave Gmat prep today and scored 580 ( Quant 47 , Verbal 23 :cry: ). My test is in two weeks and I really want to get above 650. May be touch, however unrealistic, 700.

I analyzed my verbal score and here are the details :
11 CR : 5 wrong , 6 correct
16 SC : 7 wrong , 9 correct
14 RC : 5 wrong , 9 correct.

I have gone through MGMAT SC and powerscore CR once but I guess I need to pedal up. No OG,s except for few SC,s.

My first question is that within this time frame, is it even possible to improve 70 points.(dumb question I know) but how many hrs of effort do I need to put in these two weeks to achive this score.

Any expert help/suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, Terry MBA, University of Miami, HULT MBA, York University
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 20

Re: Verbal help needed...Exam in 2 weeks !!! [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2010, 23:28
shomes wrote:
Hello Guys,

I gave Gmat prep today and scored 580 ( Quant 47 , Verbal 23 :cry: ). My test is in two weeks and I really want to get above 650. May be touch, however unrealistic, 700.

I analyzed my verbal score and here are the details :
11 CR : 5 wrong , 6 correct
16 SC : 7 wrong , 9 correct
14 RC : 5 wrong , 9 correct.

I have gone through MGMAT SC and powerscore CR once but I guess I need to pedal up. No OG,s except for few SC,s.

My first question is that within this time frame, is it even possible to improve 70 points.(dumb question I know) but how many hrs of effort do I need to put in these two weeks to achive this score.

Any expert help/suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks

Practice OG Verbal completely. Analyse the mistakes & re brush those areas from MGMAT

If Life's a Game, I Play it in my way

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V46
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Verbal help needed...Exam in 2 weeks !!! [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2010, 00:53
I second what subhabrata1986 said - Complete all the questions in that book!!! and go through the solutions.
If you go through the solutions you will see that there are only a few concepts questioned so that will give you an idea about how to remove all the wrong answers ... remember its GMC - Grammar 1st then Meaning and then Concision... try to rule out all the options that don't follow grammatical rules 1st, then remove all that distort the actual message the sentence is trying to convey and in the end go for the shorter version.

Best of luck!
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIT Madras
WE 1: 2+ years - Programming
WE 2: 3+ years - Product developement,
WE 3: 2+ years - Program management
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 104

Re: Verbal help needed...Exam in 2 weeks !!! [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2010, 00:59
How has your trend been on CATs? Do you usually get about 5-6 of CR wrong? And hows it on SC? And let me ask you this, when you select an answer (in verbal) what percent of the time do you know that you are 100% sure (if thats vague to answer ..then give me the inverse of that..i.e. what percent of time do you not feel 100% confident that you are right).

This will give you a good sense of if you need to postpone your exams or not. By the look of it your basics need to improve. Especially SC and CR. You need to do a lot of practice. OG is a good place to start.
Re: Verbal help needed...Exam in 2 weeks !!!   [#permalink] 27 Oct 2010, 00:59