Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 05:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Verbal : How the PP software works!!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Verbal : How the PP software works!!! [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2003, 23:26
Hi folks
Just before I take the real exam I am working out a few things to see how the exam works while scaling ones score. May be more out of curosity than anything else. Thot would share a few things with you guys .To find how the PP program works I did a few permutations and commbinations to see how many questions one needs to do right to achieve 40+ score. I am listing a few of the findings.

Right Question no Wrong Scaled Score
34/41 5,8,13,17. 24,28,30 41
33/41 7 wrong in first 20 35(Who says it doesnt matter where u get them wrong. It matters unless PP software differs from the real test)
31/41 (9,24,31,34,35,37,38,39,40,41) Scaled score: 39

I feel the first few are the ones that really determine ones score. Anyone who has tried some similar tricks , please share ur experience. I know its best to let the test do its work while we do our bit...but I feel that this would give a fair indiaction as to where we should put most of our effort and when to put that too interms of spending the most time.
cheers
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2003, 23:52
I'm sure the later questions aren't worth as much as the first few ones(maybe a lot less)

Try to get the first 12 questions right, then do get every other one wrong from there on. I tried it once on PP3 and ended up with 45 I think. That's like 12 questions wrong there.

By the way, I wrote the real thing on Friday, and I randomly guessed question 33~38 on my Verbal cause i didn't have enough time to read that huge RC. Ended up with 36 on Verbal. But look I've always been scoring around 34 to 36 on the PR's. That means those questions that I guessed didn't even do shit to my score(unless I was doing really well on the test day and could of gotten 40 if I didn't guessed those)
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2003, 06:26
Ya thats probably right . But am at a loss to understand why ETS has programmed it that way. One can spend all of 75 mins in the first 30 and end up gettinmg above 40 ... Its a little strange and I belive there should be some justification for it . May be there is one which we dont know. Brad just one thing man. How would u compare the real thing with the OG. I have been preparing since the last 2 months almost and nearing my exam day. IU generally pick up 41 questions from the OG or GMAT plus and do the questions in a timed environbment. ANd thats been the precedent since the last 1 month each day. I normally end up with 32-34 right on an average. I am gunning for a verbal score of above 40 minimum... So seeing the way test works I am still not convinced that getting 32 right or 34 right makes any difference till I get the first few right... let me know ur comments...

cheers
neeraj
Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2003, 07:55
ngulati wrote:
Ya thats probably right . But am at a loss to understand why ETS has programmed it that way. One can spend all of 75 mins in the first 30 and end up gettinmg above 40 ... Its a little strange and I belive there should be some justification for it . May be there is one which we dont know. Brad just one thing man. How would u compare the real thing with the OG. I have been preparing since the last 2 months almost and nearing my exam day. IU generally pick up 41 questions from the OG or GMAT plus and do the questions in a timed environbment. ANd thats been the precedent since the last 1 month each day. I normally end up with 32-34 right on an average. I am gunning for a verbal score of above 40 minimum... So seeing the way test works I am still not convinced that getting 32 right or 34 right makes any difference till I get the first few right... let me know ur comments...

cheers
neeraj

I think the verbal part on the real thing is very similar to the one you see on PP3 in terms of difficulty, I got V35 on my 1st PP3 test, V36 on my real thing. So I guess you can expect the a similar score on the real thing as the one you had on PP3.

I think it's important to get the first few ones right, however, try not to be forced into the position that I was in. Try to pick up the pace and finish the whole section. But your priority should still be getting the question right rather than rush thru the thing. Good luck!!!!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

PP3 [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2003, 08:22
what is PP 3
from where do i get it
also please let me know from where can i get official material for LSAT
THANKS
Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
Re: PP3 [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2003, 17:48
testtaker wrote:
what is PP 3
from where do i get it
also please let me know from where can i get official material for LSAT
THANKS

register for GMAT on http://www.mba.com then u'll get to download it
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2003, 23:04
Going by the data supplied by Neeraj, my guess is that getting a number of questions wrong at a stretch does a lot of harm.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2003, 00:23
Not to forget folks,some questions are experimental and DONOT count towards the actual score.I wrote PP1 yesterday - there were 9 experimental questions in quant and 11 in verbal.(Ibeliieve the nos. will remain the same on std. GMAT as well).
So how many one has got wrong and at what point -is what determines your scaled score,I guess.I had 2 mistakes on the scored Qs in Quant on Qs 20 and 28 I guess and got a scaled score of 50.On the verbal I had 10 mistakes staring from th 5th(ya that early!!) upto the last where I got all the last 4 wrong(pathetic!!!).Finally got a scaled score of 38...
Could others with similar experminets with PP post their observations.

cheers
Abhi
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2003, 05:09
Hi Abhi
Just wanted to know whats this PP1 2 and 3 all about... Are these the opaper tests issued by ETS? Any link from where we can download them man. And ya one thing more about one of the posts... if u happen to get questions wrong at the end in a series they count for little .. but even that would depeend whether they are experimental or not..

cheers
neeraj
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2003, 10:51
I don't know about PP 3 ,but by PP1 and 2 ,I mean Powerprep tests 1 and 2 that ETS mails you when you register for GMAT...otherwise you may download it from mba.com
Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2003, 11:22
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2003, 21:44
Brad isnt this the same as the CD which one gets while registering for GMAT and has 2 practice tests. I would think so
Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2003, 06:28
ngulati wrote:
Brad isnt this the same as the CD which one gets while registering for GMAT and has 2 practice tests. I would think so

yup, isn't it called PP3?
  [#permalink] 30 Sep 2003, 06:28