Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 03:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Verbal is blocking all my MBA aspirations

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Verbal is blocking all my MBA aspirations [#permalink] New post 04 May 2012, 20:33
I am very much tensed and currently in a very helpless state due to my GMAT performance. I took GMAT two times and the scores are below:
First time GMAT June 2011:
Q 47(77%) V 25(35%) 590 (61%)
Second time GMAT May 4th 2012:
Q 48(80%) V 22(27%) 580 (57%)

I am very very depressed with my Verbal score and I totally lost confidence on myself after seeing this score which is completely different and very low compared to my Manhattan Mock GMAT scores. My Manhattan test scores are:
Manhattan Test 1(Jan 15th 2012) 600 (Q44 V30)
Manhattan Test 2(Apr 1st 2012) 640 (Q50 V30)
Manhattan Test 3(Apr 8th 2012) 670 (Q46 V35)
Manhattan Test 4(Apr 14th 2012) 660 (Q46 V34)
Manhattan Test 5(Apr 21st 2012) 640 (Q48 V31)
Manhattan Test 6(Apr 28th 2012) 630 (Q48 V29)
For me, my current impression is that Manhattan tests are not at all a close replica of real GMAT even though quant is somewhat closer. Everytime I take the verbal, I am not able to determine how much I can score approximately. Every time for me verbal is a pure luck based component. If I get some easy questions, I get more else I get less. But with Quant I am able to tell for sure that I am above 46 range. But I am also wondering why I am not able to touch the 50 level! Please suggest me how to improve my verbal.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 12

Reviews Badge
Re: Verbal is blocking all my MBA aspirations [#permalink] New post 04 May 2012, 21:50
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Deepak,

I am probably not the best person to guide you here considering that I'm myself poor in Verbal. But here are some of things that I've tried that did help me to improve upon my scores.

Do 1 thing at a time : Do not stress yourself by trying to simultaneously do RC/CR/SC. Find out your weak areas, list them by priorities and tackle them 1 by 1.

Lets say you start with SC first (which is a weak area for most & also the most scoring). Get hold of a good book (Manhattan SC , i would suggest). Dont study from multiple sources. It will not do any good and you will end up confusing yourself with all the conflicting rules. Go through all the concepts chapter by chapter. Do all the exercises given behind the chapter & also the OG problems mentioned. Evaluate each question in detail (even the ones that you have got right). Take a notepad & write down all the mistakes that you have committed/ things that you have learned . After you complete the entire book (it should take you around 2-3 weeks at max.), redo all the questions you got wrong, see if you have learned from your past mistakes or are repeating the same. Again note down all your mistakes, and come back to it again after a few days. Focus on the basics first & things that you can do. Things that are difficult to understand, special cases/ high -fundoo rules....just leave it for now. This should help you to get a decent accuracy. Always remember, SC is beast that can be tamed easily and when you do, the rewards are high.

Then move on to CR (PowerScore bible) Repeat the same procedure as mentioned above. Do each chapter & the following questions. From OG, do 20 questions everyday, trying to understand the logic behind each question. Within a week, you can easily finish the book & all the OG questions. After this, I think the best place to improve your accuracy and understanding is through practice. And what better place than our best friend GMATclub. Our friends (god bless them!!) have posted the directory of questions topicwise. Read the relevant theory & practice questions from that particular topic. Start from the range of questions you are comfortable with, but challenging too.(600-700 range is a good place to start). Dont overdo. 20 questions per day is more than enough.

For RC, I cant say much, for that is my weakest area. Get a good book with good practice questions.(Aristole 99). Find the strategy that best works for you. I read the entire passage before going for questions. Do 3 passages everyday. Make it a habit. Do it for 2-3 weeks and see the change yourself. Cant say much on this.

You are already good in Quant, but maybe to score higher, you need to challenge yourself with harder questions. Get Gmatclub tests. Do 1 daily & review all questions you get wrong. I normally copy paste all the questions i get wrong in a word file, to redo them after 3-4 weeks. That helps me to test whether i have understood the concepts.

I think, you can squeeze all of this in your daily routine( depending on no. of hours you work) and complete this within 2 month time period. No need to fret over extra material and non-official sources. If you need to do more practice, get the gmatprep questions doc & do some questions from them. That should suffice.

Finally, do it at your own pace & if you can get some tutor/friend/classes, more the better, but in no way a necessity.

I hope it helps. All the very best.

Regards
Bhupesh

PS: I'm giving my gmat for the 1st time on 22nd May. Started studying from March onwards and was pretty much on the same boat. But I think i've improved and so can you.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Re: Verbal is blocking all my MBA aspirations [#permalink] New post 07 May 2012, 02:04
Hi Bhupesh,
Thank you very much for your reply. I will follow your steps and let you know. All the best for your exam on 22nd May. Please share your GMAT experience after that.
Regards.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Verbal is blocking all my MBA aspirations [#permalink] New post 17 May 2012, 04:42
If you're interested, I'd suggest looking at my GMAT experience thread from last July. I ended up scoring very well on Verbal, and detail a number of techniques that worked well for me in my summary. Other members have found it useful and you might as well.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 9

Re: Verbal is blocking all my MBA aspirations [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2012, 05:54
BBharuka had a great post on how to tackle the various sections, so I can't add much more on that front.

Some other thoughts though... don't forget the supplemental stuff. Get into regular habit of reading quality newspapers and magazines. Also, try using video to learn the stuff (eg, Ron on Thursdays), and perhaps you will find that hearing/seeing it will get through to you better.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 4

Re: Verbal is blocking all my MBA aspirations [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2012, 07:40
Hi Deepak,

I am not sure if you are already done with your exam by now. But one sure fire strategy that will help boost verbal score is to improve your comprehension and to learn to connect what you have already read to what you are reading. To do this, you should read some fiction and preferably online fiction (reading on screen is different than reading a book). I read a lot of novels and that helped me boost my verbal score.

Stacey has some good articles on how to improve reading skills...in which she talks about how to improve reading skills through business school magazine articles........you can find that on MGMAT wesbite.

Good luck!
Re: Verbal is blocking all my MBA aspirations   [#permalink] 19 Jul 2012, 07:40