Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 04:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

verbal sentence correction # 19..confusing

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

verbal sentence correction # 19..confusing [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2008, 23:19
While depressed property values can hurt some large investors, they are potentially devastating for homeowners whose equity-in many cases representing a life's savings-can plunge or even disappear.

a. same
b. they can potentially devastate homeowners in that their
c for home owners they are potentially devastating, because their
d. for homeowners, it is potentially devastating in that their
e. it can potentially devastate homewoner5s, whose

QA is A

I can see that B and D are out because it says "in that their" not good
E - "IT" refers to the equity - definitely wrong also redundant
a b confuse me because they all have "they" and it looks like they can refer to investors or values. I know my reasoning is wrong but cant seem to reason why A is right when the "THEY" is ambiguous.

This type of problem is my biggest hurdle in SC. How can I learn this best and where can i go to get some good lessons on this type of topic.

please help with detailed answer so i can finally grasp this!
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: verbal sentence correction # 19..confusing [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2008, 03:09
a.they are potentially devastating for homeowners whose - Sounds Good
b. they can potentially devastate homeowners in that their -> in that their is wrong usage
c for home owners they are potentially devastating, because their -> here "they" refers to home owners and not depressed property value
d. for homeowners, it is potentially devastating in that their-> in that their wrong usage
e. it can potentially devastate homewoner5s, whose -> depressed property values and it are wrongs, plural "values" needs to have "they"

This is my way of approaching these SC problems

Persistence+Patience+Persistence+Patience=G...O...A...L

SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: verbal sentence correction # 19..confusing [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2008, 10:54
The problem with B is that "..can potentially.." is grammatically redundant. When you use "can" you are automatically assuming that an outcome is not certain but possible.

It's like saying "I may possibly go to the beach tomorrow" - "I may go to the beach tomorrow" conveys the same meaning and "possibly" isn't required.

Another similar example would be "The sales figures for 2007 added a 5% increaser over last year." This sentence is wrong because of the same reasoning...."added" and "increase" together in the same clause are redundant. Ditto reasoning for "can" and "potentially."
CEO
CEO
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 500 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User
Re: verbal sentence correction # 19..confusing [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2008, 11:01
enginpasa1 wrote:
While depressed property values can hurt some large investors, they are potentially devastating for homeowners whose equity-in many cases representing a life's savings-can plunge or even disappear.

a. same
b. they can potentially devastate homeowners in that their
c for home owners they are potentially devastating, because their
d. for homeowners, it is potentially devastating in that their
e. it can potentially devastate homewoner5s, whose

I guesss the question why A over B? In B, "their" has unclear referrant. rest is fine in B as weel.

in A, "homeowners" is properly reffered by whose, which is not ambigiuos.
BTW, A doesnot have "they".

Therefore, A beats B.

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: verbal sentence correction # 19..confusing [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2008, 11:40
a.same (A – Please note, only use the subjective form of the pronoun for the “Subject” of the sentence and any other form takes Object form (except for possessive form). By applying this rule, “they” only points to depressed property values not some large investors.
)
b. they can potentially devastate homeowners in that their (“their” has no clear referent)
c for home owners they are potentially devastating, because their (“their” has no clear referent)
d. for homeowners, it is potentially devastating in that their (“their” has no clear referent and needed a plural referent to point “depressed property”)
e. it can potentially devastate homewoner5s, whose (needed a plural referent to point “depressed property”)

Answer: A
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: verbal sentence correction # 19..confusing [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2008, 12:12
hanumayamma wrote:
a.same (A – Please note, only use the subjective form of the pronoun for the “Subject” of the sentence and any other form takes Object form (except for possessive form). By applying this rule, “they” only points to depressed property values not some large investors.
)
b. they can potentially devastate homeowners in that their (“their” has no clear referent)
c for home owners they are potentially devastating, because their (“their” has no clear referent)
d. for homeowners, it is potentially devastating in that their (“their” has no clear referent and needed a plural referent to point “depressed property”)
e. it can potentially devastate homewoner5s, whose (needed a plural referent to point “depressed property”)

Answer: A

That one is a useful tip. Thanks hanumayamma.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: verbal sentence correction # 19..confusing [#permalink] New post 05 May 2008, 08:18
Quote:

Could someone rephrase the above for me along with a couple of simple examples?

I still have trouble understanding why "they" refes to "depressed property values" and does not refer to "investors".

Last edited by snaps on 05 May 2008, 09:12, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: verbal sentence correction # 19..confusing [#permalink] New post 05 May 2008, 08:35
snaps wrote:
Quote:

I still have trouble understanding why "they" refes to "depressed property values" and could not refer to "investors".

Me too same question. :?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: verbal sentence correction # 19..confusing [#permalink] New post 06 May 2008, 20:52
saravalli wrote:
snaps wrote:
Quote:

I still have trouble understanding why "they" refes to "depressed property values" and could not refer to "investors".

Me too same question. :?

Anyone?
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 269 [0], given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: verbal sentence correction # 19..confusing [#permalink] New post 06 May 2008, 21:21
snaps wrote:
only use the subjective form of the pronoun for the “Subject” of the sentence and any other form takes Object form (except for possessive form)

I think there is something problematic with this rules.

For example:

Eva exercised daily with Jasmine so that SHE would stay in good shape.

Manhattan SC says: the pronoun SHE does not have one clear antecedent. SHE seems to be refering to Jasmine (as Jasmine is the closest noun) but it also could be feferring to Eva. We can correct this ambiguity by rewriting the sentence as follows:

Eva hoped to stay in good shape so SHE exercised daily with Jasmine.

So, I think in the case above, "they" also has an unclear reference

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: verbal sentence correction # 19..confusing   [#permalink] 06 May 2008, 21:21