Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 18:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

verbal skills - how to improve - any books other than GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
GRE 1: 1250 Q780 V540
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 15

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
verbal skills - how to improve - any books other than GMAT [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2007, 08:55
I am yet to start GMAT prep, and looking for >700. I believe I am weak in verbal as I am from non-native english country. But now working in USA for the last 2 years.. I am far better than what I was a 2 years ago, however this will not be sufficient for GMAT. Looking for further improvement.

I have been browsing this forum for the last 2 weeks to get an idea of GMAT prep.. I am targetting for fall of 2009. Since I have lot of time, I understood that rigorous study is not needed right now (will burn out otherwise), however, I need to improve my verbal skills which can be done easily on longterm preperation.

Can somebody suggest me the books other than regular GMAT books (princetron, kapla, manhattan, pp, etc.,) that would help in building good verbal skills. I can spend 1 weekday hour daily for the next 3 months, and can spend 1 more hour for later 3 months (of course 2-4 hours on weekend days). I'll do rigorous study during MAY-JULY to crack the exam in JULY/AUG, so I can have 1 month for 2nd attempt, in case I can not get good score in first.

Please do not hesitate to comment, if my plan doesn't sound good.

And, This forum is awesome. Great for the beginners and experts as well.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2007, 10:30
Hi Sarangadhar, your plan sounds a lot like mine a year ago. I was going to try and take the gmat around may, in order to have time to retake if needed. Stuff came up and I wasn't able to do as planned. So right now I'm studying as much as I can and thinking in my essays while at work or any other free time I have. For all that, I'm seriously considering waiting one more year (which would totally suck!).

If I were you, I would just plan to take it as soon as you can, maybe no later than May. You can always improve your verbal skills as you go, I think! That's at least what I would tell myself...

I just ordered SC from MGMAT, as it was highly recommended by a lot of people around here.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
GRE 1: 1250 Q780 V540
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 15

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2007, 12:26
Thanks asdert.. You are absolutely correct in terms of giving the test as soon as possible. Thanks for your feedback.

My situation is subtle different. I can't spend much time for the next 3 to 5 months, can spend only 5-7 hours per week since my current work is somewhat busy. I believe I get more time after 5 months, around 15-25 hours per week. Hence, I can not give the test untill after 6 months.

Hence, instead of wasting my little time for the next 6 months, I would rather thought of building the skills that will generally not be acquired in short time, like verbal.. Because verbal is something that should be learnt on long term basis and apply in real life I believe and do some research on grammer books whenever some time is avaialble. So, I am looking at the grammar books for SC. And for Quant any other books to build the concepts thoroughly.

Does my plan sound okay?
  [#permalink] 29 Oct 2007, 12:26