Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 11:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Verification process

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Booth '16 (S)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Verification process [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2014, 07:57
Hi everyone. i applied to Booth in R2. just two questions:

1. Does Booth have a verification process for admitted students (ie to verify employment info, dates, university grades, etc.)?
2. If so, how long does this verification process last? How much time between the day you are accepted and when the verification process is fully complete?
3. If i am accepted on March 27, and then voluntarily quit my job in the first week of April, could this jeopardize my acceptance? Should I wait to leave my job until the verification process is complete or does it not matter?

thanks
Fuqua Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.4
WE: Research (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Verification process [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2014, 08:21
lulz, there was a thread on the background check issue a few weeks ago and it essentially seemed like applicants were checking to see if they would be caught for either misleading or falsifying information. My understanding is that the background checks are relatively primitive: they call to verify job title, employment dates, etc. Nothing in depth that checks actual responsibilities or anything. Most are fairly quick; however, some schools wait until just a few weeks before classes start to run them.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 66

Re: Verification process [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2014, 22:39
MingW831831 wrote:

1. Does Booth have a verification process for admitted students (ie to verify employment info, dates, university grades, etc.)?
2. If so, how long does this verification process last? How much time between the day you are accepted and when the verification process is fully complete?
3. If i am accepted on March 27, and then voluntarily quit my job in the first week of April, could this jeopardize my acceptance? Should I wait to leave my job until the verification process is complete or does it not matter?

thanks

1. Yes. Technically, everything is subject to verification. They will definitely verify job titles, dates of employment, test scores, and all academic transcripts/degrees.
2. You have to authorize the verification specifically. There is a mechanism to delay (at least for a little while) before the employment verification, so if you don't intend to tell work immediately, they won't "out" you.
3. As long as the information you provided is accurate, I don't see an issue with this scenario, if you are a full-time applicant. If you leave before the verification, they should just treat it like any other former employer (verify dates, title, etc). It probably wouldn't hurt to ask the adcom if/when you get the acceptance call though.
Intern
Intern

Re: Verification process [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2014, 09:24
On point 2, I am not worried about telling work that I am leaving. They know I am applying to school and that I will be gone soon. the R2 notification date is March 27. I am just wondering if I am accepted if there will be the opportunity to commence the verification process on March 27 or if they begin this process only some time later. I would like to know that they are done verifying everything sooner rather than later just to have peace of mind.

On point 3, in order to leave my job in early April (and enjoy my summer for once) i would need to let my job know very soon when i plan to leave. i just dont want anyone on the adcomm calling me angry in may/june complaining i left my job so early without notifying them. again it's voluntary, so i can pick when to leave but i just wouldnt want to lose my acceptance (if i get it)

Ming

brandon432 wrote:
MingW831831 wrote:

thanks

1. Yes. Technically, everything is subject to verification. They will definitely verify job titles, dates of employment, test scores, and all academic transcripts/degrees.
2. You have to authorize the verification specifically. There is a mechanism to delay (at least for a little while) before the employment verification, so if you don't intend to tell work immediately, they won't "out" you.
3. As long as the information you provided is accurate, I don't see an issue with this scenario, if you are a full-time applicant. If you leave before the verification, they should just treat it like any other former employer (verify dates, title, etc). It probably wouldn't hurt to ask the adcom if/when you get the acceptance call though.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 86 [1] , given: 66

Re: Verification process [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2014, 10:49
This post received
KUDOS
The verification can take a while (1-2 months) to complete, since it's a very busy time for the background check company. Unless you made some promise to Booth that you would work until school started, I don't see this being an issue. I have many friends who quit early to relax, travel, or take an internship over the summer.

For a part-time applicant, it might be different. Part-time students at many schools are usually expected to remain employed throughout their program, and bring their ongoing work experiences into the classroom.
Intern
Intern

Re: Verification process [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2014, 11:20
this is helpful. Thanks a lot
Re: Verification process   [#permalink] 12 Feb 2014, 11:20