Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:27 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [9]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q46 V48
GPA: 3.47
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q44 V42
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [2]
Send PM
Re: Veritas Practice Test accuracy [#permalink]
Kudos
Glad to hear it. That's encouraging. Nice score.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1367 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
whitman wrote:
Hello all. I was feeling very confident after scoring a 760 and a 700 on the first two GMATPrep tests. After another week of studying, I took two Veritas practice tests and scored 630 and 660. Anyone experienced something similar? I'm trying to figure out a game plan now.

GMAT Prep CATs are the best indicators of your current standings. The other CATs are no dount very useful for practice, but always take the scores with a pinch of salt.
However, I see a huge difference between the two scores.
Did you take the full length CAT including AWA and IR?

If you need additional official tests, you can get the EXam Pack1 from mba.com
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Veritas Practice Test accuracy [#permalink]
Kudos
Super encouraging to hear people have had the same experience. Both my GMATPrep results were 740 - took the first one before studying and the second after getting through the MGMAT guides and the OG questions. After reviewing my mistakes and some additional studying, I took the 2 free Veritas CATs and got 650 each time.

Wasn't happy about that at all! ;)

I was especially disappointed with my verbal score... I got about 90-95% questions correct out of the ones in the official guide and my verbal scores on the GMATPrep tests were 44&45. On the Veritas tests, they were 37&36! No idea what went wrong there...

Originally posted by ninabergoc on 11 Dec 2015, 06:53.
Last edited by ninabergoc on 11 Dec 2015, 07:00, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [7]
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
Send PM
Kudos
Similar situation. I was 710-720 for GMAT Prep. Did the 640-650 for Veritas 3 weeks out and it really shattered my confidence. I found the Veritas verbal to sometimes be ambiguous. Went back to GMAT prep and got back to 720.

I ended up 710 GMAT Official Q48V39. Best of luck.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Hey whitman,

We can't comment for other tests but do note that no test prep company's algorithm will exactly match the real thing. The best we can do is get close.

You can always take a free GMAT PILL practice test here complete with detailed performance and timing analytics: https://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... ctice-test

In terms of our scoring, many of our students report scores that are +/- 30 points from their actual GMAT test and so are a relatively good indicator of their performance. That said, no practice test can perfectly replicate the actual score algorithm, but this is quite close.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [6]
Send PM
Kudos
Just an update. So as I said before, I scored 760 and 700 on the first two GMATPrep practice tests, studied some more, then got a 630 and a 660 on the first two Veritas tests. I bought GMATPrep's Exam Pack 1 and just took exam 3. Got a 750. Will take exam 4 soon and the test shortly after that and will post updates.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [8]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I can confirm the majority view in this thread.

I took Veritas pratice tests right at the beginning and towards the end of my prep and scored 650 each time (Q43/V36 and Q44/V36).
In my GMATPrep tests I scored 760 two times (Q49/Q44 and Q49/Q45). My second approach on the Veritas pratice tests falls between the GMATPrep tests.

A few days ago I took the real GMAT exam and scored 770 (Q49/Q47).

Consequently, I think the GMATPrep results are far more accurate in predicting your score than Veritas practice tests are. Personally, I perceive a rather significant difference between official GMAC questions and Veritas (and any other 3rd party) questions. For example, I was struggling with CR in Veritas while this was one of my strongest areas in the official tests. The GMAT has just a very special and elegant way of asking questions, which most unofficial questions fail to imitate.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 627 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V47
GMAT 3: 780 Q49 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
The GMAT has just a very special and elegant way of asking questions, which most unofficial questions fail to imitate.

Echo this. That's not to say that every single third party question is bad. But, on the whole, you're better off sticking to Official GMAT questions. When might you use third party material?

1. Skill builders. You may want to do a whole bunch of tough exponents practice but not find enough of it in the Official Materials. In this case third-party questions can be helpful.

2. There are some questions that are under-represented in the Official GMAT Materials that I know are on the real test. For those questions I'll supplement using Atlantic GMAT or other companies' materials.

3. LSAT Logical reasoning for GMAT Critical Reasoning practice.

But, at this point, because there are a whole bunch of Official GMAT CATs (and you can use QP1 to make little exams + don't forget about GMAT Focus) I don't assign any third party CATs to my GMAT tutoring students. Why bother if the scoring and the flavor is off? The exception: if someone has been studying for a year and is completely out of materials. In that case, you don't have much choice. Hope this is helpful!

Happy Studies,

A.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [2]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
HerrGrau wrote:
Quote:
The GMAT has just a very special and elegant way of asking questions, which most unofficial questions fail to imitate.

Echo this. That's not to say that every single third party question is bad. But, on the whole, you're better off sticking to Official GMAT questions. When might you use third party material?

1. Skill builders. You may want to do a whole bunch of tough exponents practice but not find enough of it in the Official Materials. In this case third-party questions can be helpful.

2. There are some questions that are under-represented in the Official GMAT Materials that I know are on the real test. For those questions I'll supplement using Atlantic GMAT or other companies' materials.

3. LSAT Logical reasoning for GMAT Critical Reasoning practice.

But, at this point, because there are a whole bunch of Official GMAT CATs (and you can use QP1 to make little exams + don't forget about GMAT Focus) I don't assign any third party CATs to my GMAT tutoring students. Why bother if the scoring and the flavor is off? The exception: if someone has been studying for a year and is completely out of materials. In that case, you don't have much choice. Hope this is helpful!

Happy Studies,

A.

Agree. LSAT LR and RC both are very good source of "official" questions. When I say "official" , I mean straight from the question makers of LSAT. As this is also a standardized test, the questions will be of highest quality. I ran out of official GMAT materials for my 3rd attempt and I then ended up using LSAT LR and RC extensively for practice and saw definite improvements (690 to 750 with V34 to V44 in 1 month). But only use any non GMAT material after you have exhausted all official questions (OGs, paper tests, EP1, QP1, GMATPREP free etc).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 448 [3]
Given Kudos: 147
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
Kudos
Veritas has recently changed its algorirthm. Last year, I took about 5 tests and scored in the range of 720-760 and ultimately scored a 720 on GMAT. I took 2 mocks recently and I scored a 670 in each although the percentage of questions I marked right is more than when I got a 760. I also got worried about this initially but one of my friend also confirmed this.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [3]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
WE:Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos