Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:06 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72879 [35]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72879 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Re: Veritas Prep 10 Year Anniversary Promo Question #2 [#permalink]
I agree with the OE but still not convinced regarding one aspect.
Here were comparing status of lobotomy in past and present highlighting its contrast.
If we say

Unlike/In contrast to its present status its past status was something different. This is our context right?

but if we say Despite its present status, its past status was sth different. Does it properly makes sense?
How does its present status affect its past status.
I really feel that word despite is not preferred compared to unlike/in contrast to or something else.

See definition in Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary

Quote:
despite:
Without being affected by; in spite of:
he remains a great leader despite age and infirmity

MORE EXAMPLE SENTENCES
[MASS NOUN] archaic Back to top
1Contemptuous treatment or behaviour; outrage:
the despite done by him to the holy relics

MORE EXAMPLE SENTENCES
2Contempt; disdain:
the theatre only earns my despite
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Despite and in contrast to are used as comparisons...but are there specific situations where either would be used? In this question, it feels like either would be right - is this correct?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [2]
Given Kudos: 199
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
Unlike its modern-day status as bioethically impermissible, lobotomy was initially hailed as a revolutionary therapeutic technique so much that the Portuguese neurologist Egas Moniz who introduced the procedure was in fact awarded the Nobel Prize in Medicine in 1949 for his contribution.

(A) Unlike its modern-day status as bioethically impermissible, lobotomy was initially hailed as a revolutionary therapeutic technique so much that the Portuguese neurologist Egas Moniz who introduced the procedure was

- "Lobotomy's modern day status" is compared to "Lobotomy" - This is an illogical comparison. You can compare "Lobotomy's modern day status" Vs. "Lobotomy's initial status" or "Lobotomy" as a process vs some other process to make this as a logical comparison. Hence, A is out

(B) Despite its modern-day status as bioethically impermissible, lobotomy was initially hailed as a revolutionary therapeutic technique; and along with the Portuguese neurologist Egas Moniz who introduced the procedure was

- This option resolves the illogical comparison issue, however, there are other two errors in this. First is incorrect usage of "semicolon" and the second part of the sentence where it says Lobotomy got the Nobel price, which again does not makes sense. Hence. B is Out.

(C) Despite its modern-day status as bioethically impermissible, lobotomy was initially hailed as a revolutionary therapeutic technique; Egas Moniz, the Portuguese neurologist who introduced the procedure, was

- CORRECT - This option resolves the illogical comparison issue and other errors mentioned in other options.

(D) Unlike its modern-day status as bioethically impermissible, that of lobotomy initially was hailed as a revolutionary technique, such that Egas Moniz, the Portuguese neurologist who introduced the procedure, was

- In this option, the illogical comparison problem is fixed by comparing "Lobotomy's modern day status" Vs. "Lobotomy's initial status". However, now there is another error in this, wherein the "Lobotomy's initial status" was hailed as a revolutionary technique, which does not make sense, it should be Lobotomy which was hailed as a revolutionary technique and not its status. So D is Out

(E) In contrast to its modern-day status as bioethically impermissible, the initial status of lobotomy was hailed as a revolutionary technique; Egas Moniz, the Portuguese neurologist who introduced the procedure, was

- Same problem as D - In this option, the illogical comparison problem is fixed by comparing "Lobotomy's modern day status" Vs. "Lobotomy's initial status". However, now there is another error in this, wherein the "Lobotomy's initial status" was hailed as a revolutionary technique, which does not make sense, it should be Lobotomy which was hailed as a revolutionary technique and not its status. So E is Out

Hence, Answer is C

Did you like the answer? Hit Kudos :good
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [1]
Given Kudos: 932
Send PM
Kudos
Unlike its modern-day status as bioethically impermissible, lobotomy was initially hailed as a revolutionary therapeutic technique so much that the Portuguese neurologist Egas Moniz who introduced the procedure was in fact awarded the Nobel Prize in Medicine in 1949 for his contribution.

(A) Unlike its modern-day status as bioethically impermissible, lobotomy was initially hailed as a revolutionary therapeutic technique so much that the Portuguese neurologist Egas Moniz who introduced the procedure was - problem : Unlike X, Y; but here Y is not comparable to X; for instance lobotomy is compared to its status not another procedure. So, wrong

(B) Despite its modern-day status as bioethically impermissible, lobotomy was initially hailed as a revolutionary therapeutic technique; and along with the Portuguese neurologist Egas Moniz who introduced the procedure was - problem : /eGs Moniz along with lobotomy was not the issue. Garbled meaning. Wrong.

(C) Despite its modern-day status as bioethically impermissible, lobotomy was initially hailed as a revolutionary therapeutic technique; Egas Moniz, the Portuguese neurologist who introduced the procedure, was - CORRECT: lobotomy = ITS; semi colon (for changing the sentence) followed by Egaz Moniz's achievement whcih fits back into the sentence

(D) Unlike its modern-day status as bioethically impermissible, that of lobotomy initially was hailed as a revolutionary technique, such that Egas Moniz, the Portuguese neurologist who introduced the procedure, was : problem - Unlike...that of (what of?)...such that..so much awkwardness in the sentence. Not correct, obviously

(E) In contrast to its modern-day status as bioethically impermissible, the initial status of lobotomy was hailed as a revolutionary technique; Egas Moniz, the Portuguese neurologist who introduced the procedure, was - roblem - 'status of...change' --> how is this even possible? Comparison is wrong. So, incorrect
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 488
Send PM
In contrast to ..... As ... Wrong

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Veritas Prep 10 Year Anniversary Promo Question #2 [#permalink]

(C) Despite its modern-day status as bioethically impermissible, lobotomy was initially hailed as a revolutionary therapeutic technique; Egas Moniz, the Portuguese neurologist who introduced the procedure, was

I think this question is inaccurate and wouldn't ever be on the GMAT.

The OA (c) Implies illogically that the lobotomy was initially hailed as a revolutionary technique DESPITE its modern-day status. This is only possible if you assume that time travel exists. The GMAT dosent.

Am I the only one seeing this? can somebody please shed some light on how this is, nevertheless, correct?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
bb wrote:

Veritas Prep 10 Year Anniversary Promo Question #2

One quant and one verbal question will be posted each day starting on Monday Sept 17th at 10 AM PST/1 PM EST and the first person to correctly answer the question and show how they arrived at the answer will win a free Veritas Prep GMAT course ($1,650 value). Winners will be selected and notified by a GMAT Club moderator. For more questions and details please check here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep- ... 38806.html

To participate, please make sure you provide the correct answer (A,B,C,D,E) and explanation that clearly shows how you arrived at it.
Winners will be announced the following day at 10 AM Pacific/1 PM Eastern Time.

Good Luck! May the best and fastest win!

(A) Unlike its modern-day status as bioethically impermissible, lobotomy was initially hailed as a revolutionary therapeutic technique so much that the Portuguese neurologist Egas Moniz who introduced the procedure was

(B) Despite its modern-day status as bioethically impermissible, lobotomy was initially hailed as a revolutionary therapeutic technique; and along with the Portuguese neurologist Egas Moniz who introduced the procedure was

(D) Unlike its modern-day status as bioethically impermissible, that of lobotomy initially was hailed as a revolutionary technique, such that Egas Moniz, the Portuguese neurologist who introduced the procedure, was

(E) In contrast to its modern-day status as bioethically impermissible, the initial status of lobotomy was hailed as a revolutionary technique; Egas Moniz, the Portuguese neurologist who introduced the procedure, was

In my opinion the question has a flaw. Please help me clear my doubt.

As a standard practice learned from various sources such as Manhattan, Veritas, and eGMAT I always go for the meaning author wants to convey before trying to look for the best fit.

If one goes through the question it seems the author wants to convey that though “Lobotomy” has no value today it had a big value in the past, the value was so big that it helped Egas Moniz who introduced “Lobotomy” win Nobel prize for "introducing Lobotomy".

If one looks at option C, though the construction is right it no where helps a person link the “introduction of Lobotomy” to “Egas Moniz wining Nobel prize because of it”. It means though Lobotomy has no value today it had a big value in the past and the person who introduced it received a Nobel Prize. There is no clarity whether he received it for Labotomy or for some other introduction.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.58
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
I don't recall but in some question on the forum, it was stated that "despite" is used more in situations where a constraint is represented. Though grammatically correct, but C had that problem of "despite". Wouldn't "in contrast to" work better in this choice?

Also, then, what is the conclusion w.r.t. usage of despite vis-a-vis other idioms? Or are we saying that GMAT would never make that as the sole decisioning choice?

I'm confused a little though I was able to eliminate all other answer choices on solid grounds.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts