Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 21:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Veritas Prep

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Veritas Prep [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2007, 13:44
Has anyone used Veritas to prepare for the GMAT? What do you think of their exams? I appreciate your candid responses.
Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2007, 14:09
I'm going through a class right now. Only on week 3 of 7.

The books are pretty good, the explanations are solid. The instructor seems a bit rushed and is currently a PhD student. She is wicked smart. She knows the test, is very good of explaining how the test might trick you or things to look for. She's not teaching tricks, because there really are none, but ways to approach problems, words to be cautious of, and things to look for.

On the bad side, I wish there was a bit more time to handle in class items. There seems to be a rush, but we're covering a lot of material, so maybe its just me needing more help in Quant (which is why I am here at GMATclub) but the work is hard and I am learning a bunch, but I'm in the 600 range right now.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2007, 14:16
Thanks zakk. Have you taken any of their CATs? Do you know how they compare (level of difficulty and comparable problems) to the real test or to the GMAT Prep software? Thanks Much
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2007, 14:19
ericuva wrote:
Thanks zakk. Have you taken any of their CATs? Do you know how they compare (level of difficulty and comparable problems) to the real test or to the GMAT Prep software? Thanks Much

the test are difficult and in my non-quant mind, a bit harder than GMATPrep, or I'm getting dumber by the moment.

In case of the later, delete this thread and deny knowledge of me.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2007, 16:30
Zakk, I read some of your earlier posts. I think I read that you were from San Jose. I took the course in Palo Alto a couple months ago, but didn't do so well on the tests. I am focusing on my weaknesses right now to get a better score. I heard that a lady is teaching the course, but my instructor Cliff Smith was great. I find that the students in the Veritas class are of very high caliber.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2007, 16:57
ericuva wrote:

i took one of their CATs and my score was off by some degree, sort of in the range of how Kaplan CATs lowball you.

I never took another one of their CATs. I stayed away from most of their homework problems as well, until I finished taking the Powerprep CATS (which are probably the second best estimator of your ability) Many of Veritas' questions were ripped right from Powerprep, the Powerprep lessons, and the OG 11. I don't know if they stole them or paid for them or what. For this reason I would stay away from their CATs as they may give you a false sense of security if you encounter questions you have already done before. The ARCO CD is pretty good, although I ran into some problems with the installation (one test gave me a false score of 780 with a 60V!!!!!!!)

I am glad to hear your instructor is wicked smart. Mine was a total jerkoff. :cry:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2007, 21:33
I think some people go into any GMAT prep as a silver bullet. Some magical session to solve all the DS problems of the world. This is not the case. People need to look at is as an additional resource.

I have been doing some loose studying for a few months, and took Algebra (hadn't taken it since freshman year in high school and did poorly then)

I'm looking at this class as an opportunity to discuss my identified weaknesses and get the help of both my classmates, the OG, and folks like those here at GMATclub.

I have no doubt that many others will have different experiences. I was very underwhelmed with Manhattan's online offerings. Others might have great success. In the end, its what makes it work for you and what you make of the class time.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2007, 05:25
So far i worked through the critical reasoning book. i was really dissapointed how many questions they took from the Off. Guide.

the books cost 450USD and if, the others are of the same structure, i am really unsatisfied with the prep of veritas.

if it is like that i think i will post the few new questions in the forum. they even don´t provide you with the explanations for the right/wrong answers.

kind of unbelievable if you think about the price...
Manager
Manager
Schools: CBS, MIT, Kellogg, Wharton

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 5

[#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2007, 09:42
I took the full prep course in nyc and I must say I am more than satisfied. I guess quality varies depending on which instructor you get but I was very happy with mine. I would definitely recommend veritas.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2007, 10:57
crackthegmat! wrote:
So far i worked through the critical reasoning book. i was really dissapointed how many questions they took from the Off. Guide.

the books cost 450USD and if, the others are of the same structure, i am really unsatisfied with the prep of veritas.

if it is like that i think i will post the few new questions in the forum. they even don´t provide you with the explanations for the right/wrong answers.

kind of unbelievable if you think about the price...

they do have a separate book that gives decent explanations... its called verbal solutions
  [#permalink] 28 Jul 2007, 10:57