Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:57 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [25]
Given Kudos: 184
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 681 [12]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1430 [5]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Leadership, Organizational Behavior
Send PM
General Discussion
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [3]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Re: Colleen times her morning commute such that there is an equal likeliho [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
sandeepmanocha wrote:
My Answer (B)
I made it look like Head and Tails questions and looked for answer, not more than two Heads
HTTTT + HHTTT
= 5c1/32 + 5c2/32 = 15/32 (But not correct answer)

Your thinking is right here, but you missed one case. If you think of it as a coinflip problem, it is also possible that all 5 flips are tails: TTTTT. Since that has a (1/2)^5 = 1/32 chance of happening, that's the reason your answer was too low by exactly 1/32.

There's a slightly faster way to do the problem. The probability she will be late at most 2 times is exactly the same as the probability she will be early at most 2 times. But those are all the possible scenarios, so each must happen 1/2 the time.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [0]
Given Kudos: 184
Send PM
Re: Colleen times her morning commute such that there is an equal likeliho [#permalink]
IanStewart wrote:
Your thinking is right here, but you missed one case. If you think of it as a coinflip problem, it is also possible that all 5 flips are tails: TTTTT. Since that has a (1/2)^5 = 1/32 chance of happening, that's the reason your answer was too low by exactly 1/32.

Thanks for pointing, and yes AT MOST means, 0 or more upto given limit. It is going into my Tips :)

IanStewart wrote:
There's a slightly faster way to do the problem. The probability she will be late at most 2 times is exactly the same as the probability she will be early at most 2 times. But those are all the possible scenarios, so each must happen 1/2 the time.

Although I am not sure about this comment. Please can you elaborate on this?

Thanks
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [3]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos