Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 02:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Veritas vs MGMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Veritas vs MGMAT [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2013, 23:53
Hi All,

I'm gearing up to take the GMAT, and I'm considering in-classroom course offerings. I'm looking primarily at Veritas and Manhattan GMAT. I haven't identified any comparisons of the two except for a BW article from 2009 - not exactly the most current resource.

Has anyone compared both programs and opted for one over other? What prompted the decision? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I took Kaplan for the SAT, and Princeton Review for the GRE. Though I did well on both exams, I can't say I really liked either of those programs, which is why I'm looking at more specialized offerings like Veritas and MGMAT.

Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Chat Moderator
Schools: Johnson '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE: Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 200 [1] , given: 57

Premium Member
Re: Veritas vs MGMAT [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2013, 03:21
This post received
KUDOS
I used MGMAT books as self-study, as suggested, but was unable to reach my target score. I don't believe this was an issue with the books, but rather self-study. It was hard to focus after 10+hr days at work.

In my most recent attempt, I took an in-person class with Veritas, and got a 690. I thought the books were similar to MGMAT's (that is to say, both are excellent), but the in-person class was really what helped put me over the top. I chose Veritas for the simple reason that it was offered locally, and MGMAT was not.

I know this review won't help you decide between the two, assuming both courses are offered locally for you, but at least it is a data point. It is my belief that they are both great classes and sets of books, so really, you can't go wrong.

Hope this helps.

My Applicant Blog: http://hamm0.wordpress.com/

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Veritas vs MGMAT [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2013, 09:23
hamm0 wrote:
I used MGMAT books as self-study, as suggested, but was unable to reach my target score. I don't believe this was an issue with the books, but rather self-study. It was hard to focus after 10+hr days at work.

In my most recent attempt, I took an in-person class with Veritas, and got a 690. I thought the books were similar to MGMAT's (that is to say, both are excellent), but the in-person class was really what helped put me over the top. I chose Veritas for the simple reason that it was offered locally, and MGMAT was not.

I know this review won't help you decide between the two, assuming both courses are offered locally for you, but at least it is a data point. It is my belief that they are both great classes and sets of books, so really, you can't go wrong.

Hope this helps.

Hi Hamm - thanks for the quick response. Much appreciated.

If MGMAT had been offered in your location, do you know which you would have chosen?

Both Veritas and MGMAT are offered where I live, so I'm stuck in a dilemma. Veritas is quite a bit more than MGMAT, but money isn't really an issue. My thought process is that perhaps MGMAT might be the better option, and if I'm still left with questions, I can hire a private tutor, which could still, potentially, come out less than Veritas. I'm drawn by the 9 extra hours of class time with Veritas though. And the session is shorter, so I could tackle an actual GMAT sooner.

Most comparisons between the two programs date from 2010 or previously. It's a tough call to say the least.
Chat Moderator
Schools: Johnson '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE: Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 57

Premium Member
Re: Veritas vs MGMAT [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2013, 03:13
jgmattin wrote:
hamm0 wrote:

Hope this helps.

Hi Hamm - thanks for the quick response. Much appreciated.

If MGMAT had been offered in your location, do you know which you would have chosen?

Both Veritas and MGMAT are offered where I live, so I'm stuck in a dilemma. Veritas is quite a bit more than MGMAT, but money isn't really an issue. My thought process is that perhaps MGMAT might be the better option, and if I'm still left with questions, I can hire a private tutor, which could still, potentially, come out less than Veritas. I'm drawn by the 9 extra hours of class time with Veritas though. And the session is shorter, so I could tackle an actual GMAT sooner.

Most comparisons between the two programs date from 2010 or previously. It's a tough call to say the least.

If MGMAT was offered here, I guess it would've come down to price.

Really, I see little difference between the two programs. In the end, both give you all the tools (and more) that you need to score well on the GMAT. Don't think it is as easy as just taking the class, though. You really have to apply yourself outside of the lessons to learn/practice the problems.

Good luck with the decision.

My Applicant Blog: http://hamm0.wordpress.com/

Re: Veritas vs MGMAT   [#permalink] 28 Aug 2013, 03:13