Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 05:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Veritas Weekend Course Review

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
2 KUDOS received
Chat Moderator
Schools: Johnson '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE: Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 196 [2] , given: 57

Premium Member
Veritas Weekend Course Review [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2012, 17:45
This post received
KUDOS
    1. General Questions
      a. Which Course did you take?
      - Veritas Prep
      b. In which city (or indicate if online)?
      - Pittsburgh, PA
      c. When did it start and when did it end?
      - November 3rd - November 18th, 2012
    2. About You
      a. Why did you decide to take the class?
      - I plan on going to MBA school fulltime in the next year (Applying next fall). Aiming for a top 15 school. I had some time between jobs and thought what a better use of time!
      b. How much studying did you do before taking the course?
      - I studied pretty extensively beforehand. I used MGMAT + OG12. I took the actual GMAT 2 times, and scored 670, then 660. I wanted to preform better, and felt like beating my head against the wall with self-prep was not going to get me there.
      c. How many points did you improve? (GMAT Score before and after the course) or if you are still enrolled, what is the progress so far?
      - N/A, haven’t taken the real GMAT again - it is scheduled for 12/15 (I'll be sure to update). I certainly feel a lot more confident.
      d. Which area improved the most?
      - Hard to say. I feel that I've improved overall significantly. I have multiple ways to look at each type of quant question (as opposed to knowing one way) and an actual strategy for verbal.

3. About the Course
      a. What did you like about the course?
      - The instructor was very smart. He provided a ton of insight on how to look at problems holistically - something I've never done, especially for the quant section, as well as provide methods for each type of problem. Aside from that, on breaks he would speak to us about admissions-type questions. Certainly an added bonus.
      b. What did you not like about the course?
      - I really didn't have too many negatives here. I thought the material (books) were fantastic, and the teaching strayed away from the books enough to give you alternative perspective. I guess if I had to name one negative, it was that the teacher constantly cited GMATPrep questions in his "extra" material to help us study. I can't help but feel that I've seen ~ 50-75% of GMATPrep by now, thus rendering the GMATPrep test results "questionable" for me. That said, those are the best type of problems to practice with - so they were a welcome addition to the class.

c. How would you rate your instructor?
      - My teacher was a fantastic resource. 0 complaints.
      d. How would you rate prep materials used?
        i. Books
        - The books are OK. Some of them seem to dive in "too deep", and often over-explain material leading to complications. That said, the confusion was sorted in class, so it wasn't a big deal. My guess is that the authors were trying to provide complete looks at each type of problem, and while one type of view wouldn't make sense to me, a few others would. The way it is presented, though, makes you believe that ALL types of views are required.
        ii. Tests
        - They give you 15 practice tests in total. 5 of their own and the rest outsourced from different sites. I haven’t taken all the tests so I can’t speak to all of them, but they seem relatively good. They do count the 2 standard tests you could get anyway as ones they give you. The algorithim for the veritas tests seems to be off.. I took one and scored 49/39, which they said was 680.
      e. What was the size of your class?
      - 3 total.
      f. What did you think about your classmates?
      - Interesting people - 1 Military + Public Policy guy, 1 Hispanic girl. Both were insightful additions to the group.
    4. Would you recommend this class to others? Why or why not?
    - You can get a lot out of this class. I would certainly recommend this course to any one else in my position, or earlier in the sequence of studying.
    5. On a 1 to 5 scale, how would you rank your entire experience?
    - 4.75. I have very few complaints, the most being that GMATPrep was used extensively throughout class. The teaching was superb, and the methods certainly set me up to score well in my upcoming test. I'm just worried that I won't be able to get an accurate read on what I'm projected to score due to my now intimate knowledge of the GMATPrep material.

My Applicant Blog: http://hamm0.wordpress.com/

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Veritas Weekend Course Review   [#permalink] 18 Nov 2012, 17:45