Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 22:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Very important question for Kellogg and Chicago students

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Very important question for Kellogg and Chicago students [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2008, 05:12
How do you stay warm in the brutal chicago winter? I am planning ahead already, and looking for some winter jackets to invest in. The North Face Nuptse looks like a good buy based on internet reviews, but I'd like some recommendations from those folks living in the area.

http://www.rei.com/product/752777
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Very important question for Kellogg and Chicago students [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2008, 15:10
the secret to beating cold is........ layers, layers and layers...and not going out when there is a snow storm..

Ah.. and i forgot abt the long silk underwear.. believe me.. silk keeps u warm
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 702 [0], given: 5

Re: Very important question for Kellogg and Chicago students [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2008, 17:42
Not from Chicago but from the north east and ski a lot. The key is layers but beyond that if you are looking for a very warm coat go with down. Now you want something longer and that has a hood. The North Face makes good stuff but you are going to pay a premium for the name generally, and honestly down coats often look very similar. A good bet is LL Bean, good quality and an amazing return policy. Also the sierra trading post can be a great spot to find really good deals.

Look for something along the lines of this.
http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=goose-down-hooded-parka&categoryId=51588&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=502788&cat4=502786&shop_method=pp&feat=502788-tn

You will want a nice tight knit hat with fleece lining, a scarf can be a nice addition when its nice and windy. Good gloves are important too, look for something with removable liners, that allows you to wash them and to allow you to vary layers there. Oh mittens are way warmer. Buy ski/winter hiking socks too.

Boots are key too, when its snowy you are going to want to get something waterproof and warm. A good bet are bean boots. There are a several versions, they are reasonably priced compared to most brands. You could get a pair of uggs that are the same thing for 250 or beans for 100.

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=35374&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&feat=43359-ppxs&dds=y

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 702 [0], given: 5

Re: Very important question for Kellogg and Chicago students [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2008, 17:43
Oh lined jeans are good too for those extra cold days.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Very important question for Kellogg and Chicago students [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2008, 03:32
riverripper wrote:
Oh lined jeans are good too for those extra cold days.

You could also just wear longjohns under your jeans so you don't have to buy a new pair. Also just accept that your jeans are going to be crusty and salty when it snows - keep one pair as 'snow jeans' and consider it a bonus if they aren't destroyed by spring time!

As for the original jacket posted, I know friends have been unhappy with that jacket because the outer lining isn't fully waterproof. As others have suggested, I would go for a performance fleece that can zip into a waterproof, goretex or other material shell.

basically, everyone will look ridiculous in the winter so just buy stuff to keep you warm and dry :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 14

Re: Very important question for Kellogg and Chicago students [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2008, 22:13
well, I found out last november that if you go to Peru, they are getting rid of their winter gear, so you can get some VERY NICE and warm Royal Alpaca jackets for pretty cheap. Well worth the flight there if you have never been to Peru. I brought back two of the warmest and thinnest sweaters (from the highest quality store in Peru) I've ever worn (even warmer and lighter than cashmere), for slightly cheaper than a decent cashmere sweater here in the States.

Just a thought... almost bought the jacket, but there's no way I'm going to wear it anywhere unless I go to Kellogg. :P

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 1581 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
Re: Very important question for Kellogg and Chicago students [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2008, 07:01
longjohns under jeans is what the wierd sissy kids do. Be a man. Wear normal undewear.

All you really need is layers -- t-shirt, sweater and a good wind proof, water proof gortex lined jacket. See northface for instance. The easiest way is to find a ski jacket essentially. Thats for the brutal days. The semi-brutals I go with something a bit nicer, basically a loden.

I'm crazy and dont wear scarfs, hats, earmuffs and only wear gloves when it hits like -10 or so. You should probably buy that stuff too.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Very important question for Kellogg and Chicago students [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2008, 10:35
rhyme wrote:
longjohns under jeans is what the wierd sissy kids do. Be a man. Wear normal undewear.

All you really need is layers -- t-shirt, sweater and a good wind proof, water proof gortex lined jacket. See northface for instance. The easiest way is to find a ski jacket essentially. Thats for the brutal days. The semi-brutals I go with something a bit nicer, basically a loden.

I'm crazy and dont wear scarfs, hats, earmuffs and only wear gloves when it hits like -10 or so. You should probably buy that stuff too.

This.

Remember, the temperature is just a number. Staying warm when it's cold out is primarily just a state of mind (I've lived in Chicago all my life). If you try and fight it, you're going to lose every time. Just accept how cold it is and move on.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 14

Re: Very important question for Kellogg and Chicago students [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2008, 11:04
haha... or you can just refuse to live somewhere that cold and enjoy the 70 degree weather in the middle of winter :P

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 0

Re: Very important question for Kellogg and Chicago students [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2008, 01:48
If you want to follow B-school fashion trends, then go for the ubiquitous Patagonia, Columbia, North Face, REI, etc. gear. Get a high tech jacket + fleece combo. Bonus points for IPOD/Iphone specific pockets / zippers, branded fabrics and fair-trade certified production. Check this out for further guidance.
http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.wordpress.c ... e-clothes/
Note: While it refers to "white people" I'd say it's applicable to most B-school students regardless of race.

If not, you can just buy any other jacket (as long as it's warm and water and wind proof), gloves, scarves and pullovers.

Either way, you will definitely need a thick overcoat to wear on top of your suit when recruiting.

As far as trousers go, jeans can get cold unless wearing long underwear. If you want to avoid those, then try some corduroy pants.

L.

PS: not in Chicago, but in Boston, which is similarly cold, albeit less windy.
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 2

Re: Very important question for Kellogg and Chicago students [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2008, 06:31
Smartwool socks or similar. Gortex hiking boots.
Re: Very important question for Kellogg and Chicago students   [#permalink] 16 Mar 2008, 06:31