Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 21:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Very poor score--my 1st GMAT test! Suggestion Please!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Very poor score--my 1st GMAT test! Suggestion Please! [#permalink] New post 28 May 2012, 20:36
Dear GMAT experts, I need your help and suggestion!
I took a GMAT test yesterday morning in HK. The score is extreme low (580 Q48V23), which shocks me! OMG~
I totally spent 3 months in preparing GMAT, even took a Kaplan course in the first month. After the course, I praticed OG11 (Q & V) at home and went through them around 2 times before the test. Moreover, I also took serveral Kaplan and GMAT Prep, which are scored as follows:-
Kaplan Prep 01 580
Kaplan Prep 02 590
Kaplan Prep 03 610
Kaplan Prep 04 590
Kaplan Prep 05 610
Kaplan Prep 06 630
Kaplan Prep 07 610
(P.S. Some people in the forum said that Kaplan Prep is more difficult than real test. So we can add 50-80 scores by ourselves.)
GMAT Prep 01 620 (Q49V26)
GMAT Prep 02 700 (Q49V38)
From above scores, you can see that my average score of Prep is higher than my final GMAT score. That is why I was so shocked to see the terrible&unbelievable score in the screen yesterday!!!
What is wrong with me???!!!
But anyway, I plan to take 2nd GMAT test. After alayzing my weaks (verbal score is pretty low), I want to spend more time to improve vocabulary and grammar, which can help me to better understand the aritcles and increase hte correction rate of SC.

May I ask GMAT experts to give me more guidance?
1. I plan to re-take GMAT test on early July. Within one month, what is the most efficient way to improve?
2. Since there is a new sector--IR, how could I practice it and how much time I should spend on it?

Thanks again for your kind help and guidance.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Re: Very poor score--my 1st GMAT test! Suggestion Please! [#permalink] New post 29 May 2012, 18:49
Please! Help!
Is it enough to prepare the 2nd beat within one month?
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 213

Kudos [?]: 323 [0], given: 5

Re: Very poor score--my 1st GMAT test! Suggestion Please! [#permalink] New post 30 May 2012, 17:49
Expert's post
First of all, don't feel like something is wrong with you. Many people get a shock on test day because practice exams can't perfectly predict what will happen on test day.

Let's look at the positive side - you have an awesome quant score, so you are half-way there. Your verbal score needs a lot of help and it may take some time to improve.

The new integrated reasoning section isn't a huge deal, but you can't take it lightly. You will want to plan for 20+ hours of prep time for IR.

What is your deadline for taking the test? What is your target score?

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Intern
Intern

Re: Very poor score--my 1st GMAT test! Suggestion Please! [#permalink] New post 30 May 2012, 19:46
KyleWiddison wrote:
First of all, don't feel like something is wrong with you. Many people get a shock on test day because practice exams can't perfectly predict what will happen on test day.

Let's look at the positive side - you have an awesome quant score, so you are half-way there. Your verbal score needs a lot of help and it may take some time to improve.

The new integrated reasoning section isn't a huge deal, but you can't take it lightly. You will want to plan for 20+ hours of prep time for IR.

What is your deadline for taking the test? What is your target score?

Hi KyleWiddison, thank you very much for your reply and encouragement.
I want to submite the MBA application around October this year, so I plan to retake GMAT on 3rd June because I still need 2 months to prepare TOEFL. >_<
I am not an English native speaker. So my limited vocabulary and poor grammar are my fatal weakness. Now, I already start memorizing GMAT vocabulary and using Manhattan SC guide to enhance my correction rate of the SC sector.
However, I have a full-time job. For GMAT, I plan to study 3 hours per weekday and 8 hours every Sat & Sun. Frankly, one month time is very tight for me. Therefore, I want to find an efficient way to improve my GMAT score and sincerely hope you can give some suggestions on the study method.
Thanks again!
Intern
Intern

Re: Very poor score--my 1st GMAT test! Suggestion Please! [#permalink] New post 30 May 2012, 19:47
My target score is 700.
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 213

Kudos [?]: 323 [0], given: 5

Re: Very poor score--my 1st GMAT test! Suggestion Please! [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2012, 13:50
Expert's post
Hmmm...a month is pretty tight. I would recommend rechecking your timeline to see if you can get any extra study time - even if only a few weeks more.

Since you feel you have poor Verbal skills, I would highly recommend that you get the Foundations of Verbal Guide (http://www.manhattangmat.com/storeitems ... 7&catid=10). It handles basic grammar, which you must understand before you can be successful on SC problems. The Foundations book may also help your comprehension of RC & CR.

Speaking of RC & CR, you should be practicing those areas consistently. Start at the beginning of the Official Guide and run through a passage and some CR problems each day. Make sure you understand the point of the passages and arguments.

Additionally, here are some links to some blog entries that might help you prep for RC...

RC Process:
http://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... -passages/

RC Practice:
http://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... rehension/

-KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Intern
Intern

Re: Very poor score--my 1st GMAT test! Suggestion Please! [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2012, 01:39
Dear KyleWiddison,
Thank you for your advice and useful links. I may consider to attend the 2nd test on 16 July, which will give me two more weeks to prepare.
I will try my best from now.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Very poor score--my 1st GMAT test! Suggestion Please! [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2012, 13:07
hi guys

if anyone is looking for some tips with respect to the quant and verbal section, i can help them out. i have been doing so for quite some time now. i took my gmat in 2009 and scored a 760 (verbal- 42, quant-50). i followed it up with an year at ISB, Hyderabad.

you can get in touch with me @ 9873209590 and we can talk more about it. feel free to call me during the day or to sms during the later part of the day

i can entertain questions wrt the applications process as well

thanks
sid
Re: Very poor score--my 1st GMAT test! Suggestion Please!   [#permalink] 05 Jun 2012, 13:07