Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 10:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

very slow with verbal questions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

very slow with verbal questions [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2007, 05:32
Hello Guys,

I took the Princeton Verbal exam from the Verbal book 2nd Edition(not the CAT) last night. I was only able to answer 28 questions out of 41 in 75 mins. I feel like I am very slow in responding to the verbal questions as I re-read the questions again. To help me gauge better, I am planning on taking GMAT CAT over the weekend for the first time to see where I am at. Regardless, I feel I need to improve on answering questions little faster to complete on time. Can you guys shed suggestions to help me in into this matter?

Thanks in advance!!
Pinal
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 199 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2007, 06:51
don't re-read the problems. as you read the first time form a mental map of what information is where in the passage. then when you need to go back and find something specific just skim through it all until you catch what you're looking for.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: very slow with verbal questions [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2007, 07:47
pinal2 wrote:
Hello Guys,

I took the Princeton Verbal exam from the Verbal book 2nd Edition(not the CAT) last night. I was only able to answer 28 questions out of 41 in 75 mins. I feel like I am very slow in responding to the verbal questions as I re-read the questions again. To help me gauge better, I am planning on taking GMAT CAT over the weekend for the first time to see where I am at. Regardless, I feel I need to improve on answering questions little faster to complete on time. Can you guys shed suggestions to help me in into this matter?

Thanks in advance!!
Pinal

you never mentioned which question type you are struggling with, so i am going to assume that you are re-reading all types: RC,CR,and SC questions.

In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with re-reading the questions. If you do not understand what the question is asking, how are you supposed to answer it, right?
You just have to practice. Your speed will improve with practice.

You can save time by selecting an answer without dwelling on it.
Once you feel comfortable with an answer choice, select it and move to the next question.
VP
VP
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2007, 08:30
Agree with CookieMonster 100%. You absolutely have to understand what you just read to answer the questions correctly. Speed comes with practice. I would hold off taking the GMATPrep this weekend as you will probably have the same issue with time as you did taking the PR CAT. Plus, I'd save GMATPreps for the phase in your preparation when you are somewhat confident about your abilities. Verbal question bank in GMATPrep is pretty small, so if you retake GMATPreps, you will see a lot of repeated verbal questions, which is not good for estimation of your true abilities. I'd say do the OG verbal and remember to time yourself all the time. On average, to perform well in verbal, you should be able to do SCs in under 1 minutes each, RCs in 2 minutes per question, including the reading of the paragraph, and CRs in 1.5 minutes.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2007, 18:26
I appreciate all your suggestions and will definitely hold off on the GMAT CAT test for this weekend. I will buy the OG Verbal book to improve in Verbal skills; hopefully, with lots and lots of practice, I can learn to speed it up a notch.

Once again, thank you for all your input!!

Regards,
Pinal
  [#permalink] 17 Aug 2007, 18:26