Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 10:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Very tough SC from Manhattan - Manhattans Instructors advise

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Posts: 995
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 419 [1] , given: 36

Very tough SC from Manhattan - Manhattans Instructors advise [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2010, 06:04
1
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

16% (02:10) correct 84% (01:21) wrong based on 35 sessions
This one nailed me today, I rarely get SC wrong. I will love if any of the Manhattan Instructors will pitch in and explain the OA to the maximum possible extent.

1. especially the use of "which"
2. I believe option C has SV disagreement since "cycle" is singular and should use "leads".

People,
please use your judgement not mine ! :wink:

Reopening the question.
An economic recession can result from a lowering of
employment rates triggered by a drop in investment, which
causes people to cut consumer spending and starts a cycle of
layoffs leading back to even lower employment rates
.
• a lowering of employment rates triggered by a drop in
investment, which causes people to cut consumer spending
and start a cycle of layoffs leading back to even lower
employment rates.
• a lowering of employment rates triggered by dropping
investment, which causes people to cut consumer spending
and starts a cycle of layoffs leading back to even lower
employment rates.
• falling employment rates triggered by a drop in investment,
which cause cutbacks in consumer spending, starting a
cycle of layoffs that lead to even lower employment rates.
• falling employment rates that are triggered by a drop in
investment, causing people to cut consumer spending and
starting a cycle of layoffs that lead back to even lower
employment rates.
• falling employment rates that are triggered by a drop in
investment, causing cutbacks in consumer spending and
starting a cycle of layoffs leading to even lower employment
rates.
_________________

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Retired Moderator
User avatar
Status: The last round
Joined: 18 Jun 2009
Posts: 1317
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 497 [0], given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Very tough SC from Manhattan - Manhattans Instructors advise [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2010, 07:04
nusmavrik wrote:
This one nailed me today, I rarely get SC wrong. I will love if any of the Manhattan Instructors will pitch in and explain the OA to the maximum possible extent.

1. especially the use of "which"
2. I believe option C has SV disagreement since "cycle" is singular and should use "leads".

People,
please use your judgement not mine ! :wink:

Reopening the question.
An economic recession can result from a lowering of
employment rates triggered by a drop in investment, which
causes people to cut consumer spending and starts a cycle of
layoffs leading back to even lower employment rates
.
• a lowering of employment rates triggered by a drop in
investment, which causes people to cut consumer spending
and start a cycle of layoffs leading back to even lower
employment rates.
• a lowering of employment rates triggered by dropping
investment, which causes people to cut consumer spending
and starts a cycle of layoffs leading back to even lower
employment rates.
• falling employment rates triggered by a drop in investment,
which cause cutbacks in consumer spending, starting a
cycle of layoffs that lead to even lower employment rates.
• falling employment rates that are triggered by a drop in
investment, causing people to cut consumer spending and
starting a cycle of layoffs that lead back to even lower
employment rates.
• falling employment rates that are triggered by a drop in
investment, causing cutbacks in consumer spending and
starting a cycle of layoffs leading to even lower employment
rates.


In A & B & C, "which" is used wrongly. Also "causing people" not sounds good to me. "D" was ok, but "causing people to" disturbs me. Not sure about my theory, but in such tough problems, every one has a valid view. :)

So "E" for me.
_________________

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Feb 2010
Posts: 459
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 5

Re: Very tough SC from Manhattan - Manhattans Instructors advise [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2010, 07:12
I b/w E & C.

(A) lowering of employment rates is wrong .unidiomatic. ELIMINATE

(B) lowering of employment rates is wrong .unidiomatic. ELIMINATE

(D) how can people cut consumer spending ? ELIMINATE

On test Day, I must have chosen E but some how I'm satisfied with my answer .....
Looks like something is tricky in C with usage of "Which".
_________________

GGG (Gym / GMAT / Girl) -- Be Serious

Its your duty to post OA afterwards; some one must be waiting for that...

Retired Moderator
User avatar
Status: The last round
Joined: 18 Jun 2009
Posts: 1317
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 497 [0], given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Very tough SC from Manhattan - Manhattans Instructors advise [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2010, 07:16
onedayill wrote:
I b/w E & C.

(A) lowering of employment rates is wrong .unidiomatic. ELIMINATE

(B) lowering of employment rates is wrong .unidiomatic. ELIMINATE

(D) how can people cut consumer spending ? ELIMINATE

On test Day, I must have chosen E but some how I'm satisfied with my answer .....
Looks like something is tricky in C with usage of "Which".


So you mean its your 6th sense, which is causing you to think like this. :) Just kidding. Great thinking I believe. I am strongly supportive of slecting a choice which though not seems ok to you grammatically, but seems ok due to some unknown reason.
_________________

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Dec 2009
Posts: 420
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 26

Re: Very tough SC from Manhattan - Manhattans Instructors advise [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2010, 08:49
I picked E.

Investments, itself, didn't cause people to cut spending... it's the full event of 'drop in emp rates caused by a decrease in investments..."
so an -ing modifier (i.e., a verb modifier) is needed here.

and E maintains the parallelism: causing X and starting Y where X and Y are constructed as "noun + prepositional phrase"
_________________

kudos if you like me (or my post) :P

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 May 2010
Posts: 443
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 112

Re: Very tough SC from Manhattan - Manhattans Instructors advise [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2010, 10:52
I would go for E ...
Reason .. II ism in three clauses ... So I narrowed to D and E ..
In D .... I did not like " causing ... to cut consumer spending ".....
So chose E...
hope this is correct
reg
3 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Posts: 995
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 419 [3] , given: 36

Re: Very tough SC from Manhattan - Manhattans Instructors advise [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2010, 19:15
3
This post received
KUDOS
OA is C

This is very interesting thing I learnt and I will like to share.

Lets say X is singular and Y plural. Imagine this pattern :
X of Y, which is
------> which points to the noun before the comma. So X or Y??? In such case let GMAT be your guide. I haven't seen a foe helping! :wink: But here it does

1. If the verb after which is singular -> which refers to X
2. If the verb after which is plural -> which refers to Y


This rule overrides any rule about "which" referring to X [Reason - Ohhh so you didn't see the preposition "of"]
E.g. the box of nails, which is on the counter ---> which refers to box. I'd always say which refers to box since gmat was consistent in writing statements like this. But the truth is that the verb after "which" is singular "is" and seems to refer to X.

When I saw this sentence today I ignored the hints about "which" - they were right there in the sentence !


3:2 split leaves A,B and C as contenders. And I guess people already killed A and B

Option C. "which" refers to "employment rates" because the verb "cause" is plural. So subject has to be plural.
cycle of layoffs that lead ----> that refers to "layoffs" since the verb "lead" is plural.


• falling employment rates triggered by a drop in investment,
which cause cutbacks in consumer spending, starting a
cycle of layoffs that lead to even lower employment rates.
_________________

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Director
Director
avatar
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Posts: 995
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 419 [0], given: 36

Re: Very tough SC from Manhattan - Manhattans Instructors advise [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2010, 19:48
So why is E wrong?

Here is the OE :-D
(D) This choice contains the wordy phrase "causing people to cut
consumer spending" and the redundant phrase "lead back."
Moreover, the words "causing" and "starting" illogically refer back
to the economic recession. In fact, the falling employment rates,
not the economic recession, cause the cutbacks in consumer
spending and start the cycle of layoffs.
(E) The words "causing" and "starting" illogically refer back to the
economic recession. In fact, the falling employment rates, not the
economic recession, cause the cutbacks in consumer spending
and start the cycle of layoffs.
_________________

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 06 Oct 2009
Posts: 70
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 5

Re: Very tough SC from Manhattan - Manhattans Instructors advise [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2010, 19:58
But whats the issue with E ?
Is it because of wordy?
_________________

+1 kudos me if this is of any help...

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Jan 2010
Posts: 164
Location: India
Schools: ISB
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 14

Re: Very tough SC from Manhattan - Manhattans Instructors advise [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2010, 22:38
I chose C :)
_________________

_________________
If you like my post, consider giving me a kudos. THANKS!

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: one more time
Joined: 05 Jul 2010
Posts: 72
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.48
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Re: Very tough SC from Manhattan - Manhattans Instructors advise [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2010, 09:39
any other explanation why not E?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Oct 2008
Posts: 199
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 11

Re: Very tough SC from Manhattan - Manhattans Instructors advise [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2010, 05:50
nusmavrik wrote:
OA is C

This is very interesting thing I learnt and I will like to share.

Lets say X is singular and Y plural. Imagine this pattern :
X of Y, which is
------> which points to the noun before the comma. So X or Y??? In such case let GMAT be your guide. I haven't seen a foe helping! :wink: But here it does

1. If the verb after which is singular -> which refers to X
2. If the verb after which is plural -> which refers to Y


This rule overrides any rule about "which" referring to X [Reason - Ohhh so you didn't see the preposition "of"]
E.g. the box of nails, which is on the counter ---> which refers to box. I'd always say which refers to box since gmat was consistent in writing statements like this. But the truth is that the verb after "which" is singular "is" and seems to refer to X.

When I saw this sentence today I ignored the hints about "which" - they were right there in the sentence !


3:2 split leaves A,B and C as contenders. And I guess people already killed A and B

Option C. "which" refers to "employment rates" because the verb "cause" is plural. So subject has to be plural.
cycle of layoffs that lead ----> that refers to "layoffs" since the verb "lead" is plural.


• falling employment rates triggered by a drop in investment,
which cause cutbacks in consumer spending, starting a
cycle of layoffs that lead to even lower employment rates.



Great! Thanks for sharing.
Even i picked E, eliminated C.
4 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Joined: 21 Jan 2010
Posts: 354
Location: San Francisco
Followers: 340

Kudos [?]: 744 [4] , given: 11

Re: Very tough SC from Manhattan - Manhattans Instructors advise [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2010, 17:13
4
This post received
KUDOS
Hey All,

So apparently people wanted a Manhattan instructor to weigh in. So here I am! BTW, could people start putting the part of the sentence that's underlined in an actual underline? It's easy to do, and it makes the questions so much easier to read.

An economic recession can result from a lowering of employment rates triggered by a drop in investment, which causes people to cut consumer spending and starts a cycle of layoffs leading back to even lower employment rates.

NOTE: Clearly this is some kind of modifier issue ("which causes..." "triggered by..."). Remember that noun modifiers MUST TOUCH the noun they modify. There also seems to be some parallelism issues at work (and).

A) a lowering of employment rates triggered by a drop in investment, which causes people to cut consumer spending
and start a cycle of layoffs leading back to even lower employment rates.
PROBLEM: "Results from a lowering" is not idiomatic. "A lowering" would imply that somebody actually did the "lowering", whereas "falling" has no initiator. "Which causes" is unclear, but seems to be modifying "investment", which is incorrect (seems this way because it would say "which cause (no s)" if "rates" were the modifiee). Next, "causes" should be parallel to "starts", because it isn't "people" who "start a cycle of layoffs". Next, it's not leading "back" to even lower rates (they're even lower...we were never there before). Finally, we don't need to say "people to cut consumer spending". "Consumer spending" already implies the people.

B) a lowering of employment rates triggered by dropping investment, which causes people to cut consumer spending
and starts a cycle of layoffs leading back to even lower employment rates.
PROBLEM: "A lowering" issue. "Causes" issue. "leading back" issue.

C) falling employment rates triggered by a drop in investment, which cause cutbacks in consumer spending, starting a
cycle of layoffs that lead to even lower employment rates.
ANSWER: Lots of modifiers, but all are correct. "triggered" modifies "rates". "which cause" modifies "rates" as well. "starting" modifies the cutbacks in consumer spending (which makes logical sense...people don't spend money...businesses don't make us much...they have to lay people off).

D) falling employment rates that are triggered by a drop in investment, causing people to cut consumer spending and
starting a cycle of layoffs that lead back to even lower employment rates.
PROBLEM: "lead back" issue. "people...consumer spending" issue.

E) falling employment rates that are triggered by a drop in investment, causing cutbacks in consumer spending and
starting a cycle of layoffs leading to even lower employment rates.
PROBLEM: Just one modifier goes wrong here. "starting a cycle of layoffs" is modifying the previous clause ("Recession can result from rates that are triggered by a drop in investment"). But it's actually the cutbacks in consumer spending that start the cycle of layoffs. Also, we need a comma before the final participle ("leading"), because it's representing the RESULT of the layoffs, rather than modifying it adjectivally (C uses a relative clause "that lead" to do this).

Hope that helps! Toughie!

-t
_________________


Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Director
Director
avatar
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Posts: 995
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 419 [0], given: 36

Re: Very tough SC from Manhattan - Manhattans Instructors advise [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2010, 21:54
Thanks tommy ! That was very helpful.
_________________

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2008
Posts: 232
Location: India
WE 1: 3.75 IT
WE 2: 1.0 IT
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 5

Re: Very tough SC from Manhattan - Manhattans Instructors advise [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2010, 22:17
Thanks Tommy and nusmavrik for explanation.
_________________

Cheers,
Varun


If you like my post, give me KUDOS!!

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Jan 2010
Posts: 73
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 15

Re: Very tough SC from Manhattan - Manhattans Instructors advise [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2010, 17:00
good question and explanation
_________________

pls kudos if you're satisfied with the reply

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Posts: 447
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 157

Re: Very tough SC from Manhattan - Manhattans Instructors advise [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2010, 01:19
Quote:
C) falling employment rates triggered by a drop in investment, which cause cutbacks in consumer spending, starting a
cycle of layoffs that lead to even lower employment rates.
ANSWER: Lots of modifiers, but all are correct. "triggered" modifies "rates". "which cause" modifies "rates" as well. "starting" modifies the cutbacks in consumer spending (which makes logical sense...people don't spend money...businesses don't make us much...they have to lay people off).



can anyone explain, how gramatically in the sentence(not logically)-"starting modifies the cutbacks in economic spending"

An economic recession can result from falling employment rates triggered by a drop in investment, which cause cutbacks in consumer spending, starting a
cycle of layoffs that lead to even lower employment rates

I mean for example, in one of the earlier post, regarding which.
I came to know that we can find out what which modifies by
X(singular) , Y(plural), which singular/plural.
But we cannot apply this principle just as it is and assume its right because in option A, which causes would refer to investment, when 'which' refers to rates.
Similarly i am curious to know how starting modfies cutbacks in customer spending.

Kudos for the post, it helped me learn about which.
_________________

If you found the reply to be helpful, give kudos.

Manhattan GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Joined: 21 Jan 2010
Posts: 354
Location: San Francisco
Followers: 340

Kudos [?]: 744 [0], given: 11

Re: Very tough SC from Manhattan - Manhattans Instructors advise [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2010, 10:28
Hey BlueRobin,

It's actually a bit more complicated than that. Generally when we use a participle (-ing or -ed words), the resulting modifier modifies the ENTIRE preceding clause in some way (often explaining the RESULT of that clause). Here's an example:

I just got a job, making my mother very proud.

In that sentence, "making" is NOT modifying "job". It is modifying the FACT that I got a job.

This example is the same:

"starting" is actually modifying the ENTIRE preceding clause here. It's showing how the result of the triggered drop in investment causing cutbacks in spending starts a cycle of layoffs. Does that make sense? The most important takeaway is that participles with commas are VERY free (they have a lot of options for how they modify).

Let me know if you have any follow up questions!

-t
_________________


Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Jan 2010
Posts: 194
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 13

Re: Very tough SC from Manhattan - Manhattans Instructors advise [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 23:01
Got it wrong ..went with E ........great explanation Tommy
Re: Very tough SC from Manhattan - Manhattans Instructors advise   [#permalink] 29 Jul 2010, 23:01
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Doubt from Manhattan: SC papillon86 13 06 May 2010, 11:07
Manhattan SC.. sag 11 26 Apr 2010, 21:15
Another one from Manhattan SC: papillon86 12 26 Apr 2010, 12:36
manhattan SC preetimishra 3 10 Jul 2009, 07:09
Experts publish their posts in the topic SC Manhattan_very tough waytovietnam 2 19 Apr 2009, 07:03
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Very tough SC from Manhattan - Manhattans Instructors advise

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.