Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 11:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Very Very Different Profile------Opinions????

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Very Very Different Profile------Opinions???? [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2007, 16:05

GMAT
-------
580 (38Q, 32V, 4 AWA) -first try, I really din´t study, just went in to that room with what I remembered from College.

On Practice test I keep getting around 640-650, but improving. hope a 700

Going to take it a second time Late November.

GPA
-----

15.6 over 20 points, class average under 12/20, top 25 percent of the class more or less.

We don´t have GPA but its around 3.15 (much more difficult down here than in the US)

Education
------------
-International Relations in top school in my country
-Specialization in International Business (kind of like a mini masters).
-Training in: Finance, Advanced Negotiation, Stock Exchange Investment (not sure how to translate), Oil contracts and Energy policy (intensive 3 month program in London), Public Policy, a few other things.

Foreign Languages
---------------------
- English and Spanish perfectly fluent
- French GWK
- Chinese (one year study) Very basic Chinese

Work Experience
--------------------
6 years:

-1+ year in small corporate image consultancy firm ( Negotiating deals with big companies and international expansion strategy)

-9 months in E&Y - Tax and Legal Assistant

-4 years Forbes 70 energy company: A LOT of international experience: business trips to London, France, Moscow, Peru, Buenos Aires, Italy, US, Trinidad, other.

*Personal Assistant to the CEO (9 months), International Relations Internal Consultant- 1 year - Supply Chain Senior Internal Consultant +2 years.

Responsibilities:
*Team leader, and or member with responsibilities on International negotiations, treaties, MOU and other on oil and energy projects
, in-house and external presentations, technical strategy.

*Team Leader/Member in project for broadening the company’s international strategy towards new markets (focus on Supply chain ) , top-level design, top level team, including sub-secretary of Energy and other high ranking personnel.

Professional Goals
---------------------
Interest in MBA as leverage for career development interested in strengthening Strategy, Finance and Negotiation Skills.

In five years I hope to be working in Oil Strategy or planning / or Small General Consultancy firm.

I have some problems defining myself in the future, not really sure I will remain in my current job.

Community Involvement
-----------------------------
-College head of Model UN group, ended up being faculty adviser for a few years.
- Kuk Sool Won (martial art) for 17 years
-Woodworking, Crafts, Cutlery collector.

Target Schools
-----------------
Insead, LBS, Rotman, Ivey, maybe Haas. recommendations ......

Soo, What do you guys think???? Do I have a chance? Sorry for the typos :?:

Last edited by macaman on 28 Oct 2007, 18:51, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2007, 17:16
Forgot something, had an interview with a top Canadian school, and I keep getting emails from them telling me to apply even though my Gmat score is bellow their lower average.

Is this a normal behavior for MBA schools??? or does it signify something?

Mac
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 317 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Very Very Different Profile------Opinions???? [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2007, 18:27
Expert's post
macaman wrote:

GMAT
-------
580 (38Q, 32V, 4 AWA) -first try, I really din´t study, just went in to that room with what I remembered from College.

On Practice test I keep getting around 640-650, but improving. hope a 700

Going to take it a second time Late November.

GPA
-----

15.6 over 20 points, class average under 12/20, top 25 percent of the class more or less.

We don´t have GPA but its around 3.15 (much more difficult down here than in the US)

Education
------------
-International Relations in top school in my country
-Specialization in International Business (kind of like a mini masters).
-Training in: Finance, Advanced Negotiation, Stock Exchange Investment (not sure how to translate), Oil contracts and Energy policy (intensive 3 month program in London), Public Policy, a few other things.

Foreign Languages
---------------------
- English and Spanish perfectly fluent
- French GWK
- Chinese (one year study) Very basic Chinese

Work Experience
--------------------
6 years:

-1+ year in small corporate image consultancy firm ( Negotiating deals with big companies and international expansion strategy)

-9 months in E&Y - Tax and Legal Assistant

-4 years Forbes 70 energy company: A LOT of international experience: business trips to London, France, Moscow, Peru, Buenos Aires, Italy, US, Trinidad, other.

*Personal Assistant to the CEO (9 months), International Relations Internal Consultant- 1 year - Supply Chain Senior Internal Consultant +2 years.

Responsibilities:
*Team leader, and or member with responsibilities on International negotiations, treaties, MOU and other on oil and energy projects
, in-house and external presentations, technical strategy.

*Team Leader/Member in project for broadening the company’s international strategy towards new markets (focus on Supply chain ) , top-level design, top level team, including sub-secretary of Energy and other high ranking personnel.

Professional Goals
---------------------
Interest in MBA as leverage for career development interested in strengthening Strategy, Finance and Negotiation Skills.

In five years I hope to be working in Oil Strategy or planning / or Small General Consultancy firm.

I have some problems defining myself in the future, not really sure I will remain in my current job.

Community Involvement
-----------------------------
-College head of Model UN group, ended up being faculty adviser for a few years.
- Kuk Sool Won (martial art) for 17 years
-Woodworking, Crafts, Cutlery collector.

Target Schools
-----------------
Insead, LBS, Rotman, Ivey, maybe Haas. recommendations ......

Soo, What do you guys think???? Do I have a chance? Sorry for the typos :?:

macaman,

The emails from the top Canadian school signfify interest so follow up with them if you are so inclined. You have an unusual background and what appears to be strong professional experience but unless you can score near a 700 on the GMAT your odds at INSEAD, LBS, and Haas are small. For Rotman and Ivey a 650-660 may be good enough. Your weak community record will hurt you somewhat at top U.S. schools.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2007, 07:18
Thank you very much for your prompt reply, I will take into consideration you comments, I have a couple of other questions:

1.- What exactly is community work/ services for American universities? we don’t really do much community activities down here, would creating the UN Model Club in my university amount to it?.

2.- I read in a book (Montauk), that Top Universities tend to take into consideration when reviewing GMAT results if the person comes from an Anglophone background or not. Is this still being done??? I mean getting a 700 in the GMAT when you never went to school in English is much more difficult than if you are an American. Probably the non native speaker would get something like 750 (at least) if the GMAT where in its mother tongue (that’s what I think).

Best Regards,

Alejandro Macareño
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 317 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2007, 19:01
Expert's post
macaman wrote:
Thank you very much for your prompt reply, I will take into consideration you comments, I have a couple of other questions:

1.- What exactly is community work/ services for American universities? we don’t really do much community activities down here, would creating the UN Model Club in my university amount to it?.

2.- I read in a book (Montauk), that Top Universities tend to take into consideration when reviewing GMAT results if the person comes from an Anglophone background or not. Is this still being done??? I mean getting a 700 in the GMAT when you never went to school in English is much more difficult than if you are an American. Probably the non native speaker would get something like 750 (at least) if the GMAT where in its mother tongue (that’s what I think).

Best Regards,

Alejandro Macareño

Alejandro,

1. Yes, the UN Model Club definitely counts, but you need some activities like that since university. These activities don't have to be volunteer "save the world" activities; they can also be extracurricular, but the key point is that they show your non-work leadership and your ability to invest in groups and activities larger than your own self-interest.

2. Yes, a 700 GMAT from a non-English speaker is valued more highly by adcoms than from an English speaker. They will appreciate the accomplishment.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog