Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 06:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Very very scared of RC

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Speed reading [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2006, 16:48
Ruhi have you tried speed reading. I found this pretty awesome book on speed reading. A very thin, to the point book which acutually helped me increase my comprehension and reading by at least 30 words a minute. It shows you a couple of way to read and helps you undo some of the way we've been programmed to read. Try it out. Go to barnes and ask for a book on speed reading. I think it should help a lot from the approach side.Thanks'

GMAT the final frontie!!!.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 247

Kudos [?]: 1512 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Here is the trick [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2006, 09:01
This works AMAZINGLY well.

I STRONGLY urge everyone to try this method.

Why does it work? The GMAT passages are intended to be riddled with information you don't need, details and technical terms which confuse you, and which the questions will often refer back to.

Its very easy to read a passage, see some answer choices and say "Hey yea I remember reading about that detail" and pick the answer choice. For general questions that address things such as "The author's primary point" - they often will have one option that is similar to the last paragraph - its usually what is most fresh in your mind - and typically, thats what sticks out. It's almost always wrong.

Here is the way to tackle RC - with this method I was able to jump from 50% right to 80 to 90% right.

Read the entire first paragraph, rewriting each sentence in your own words.

Read the topic sentence of each subsequent paragraph and rewrite it in your own words. DO NOT READ THE ENTIRE PARAGRAPH. Skim it, looking for key words - names, dates, technical terms. Write these down underneath the paragraph.

Do the same for each subsequent paragraph.

NOTE THAT YOU WILL NOT HAVE ACTUALLY READ THE PASSAGE. You've really only read the first and maybe second sentences of each paragraph other than the first.

This eliminates all the extra detail in each paragraph from your mind. You will be AMAZED at how much easier this makes answering questions like "The author would most agree with" or "The primary point of the passage is..."

So why did you write down those technical terms, names etc? To answer those specific questions like "Dr. Dumass research suggests which of the following _______" ?

Now, if you wrote down the key words in each paragraph, finding Dr. Dumass, will take just a few seconds of skimming. You then read the sentence preceding and following the reference and the answer is always right there.

Try it.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2006, 10:09
yes this really does work ... i use a similar strategy when doing RC
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2007, 23:01
Another place to look for help on this is PrepForTests.com's free GMAT reading comprehension tutorial which takes you through general strategies for approaching RC questions and then shows you how to tackle the main types of RC questions you will face.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2007, 04:38
prepfortests wrote:
Another place to look for help on this is PrepForTests.com's free GMAT reading comprehension tutorial which takes you through general strategies for approaching RC questions and then shows you how to tackle the main types of RC questions you will face.

link is good...
thanks!!!!!!!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Very very scared of RC [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2008, 04:50
The strategy of paraphrasing all of the first paragraph, paraphrasing each topic sentence of the rest of the paragraphs and skimming for key words is one that Manhattan GMAT promotes. MGMAT actually suggests that the strategy should change depending on the length of the passage. If it's long, use the above strategy. If it's short, you can read the passage in detail.

As for timing, it suggests the following formula:

Total time to spend = (# of questions) x 2 mins.
Total time to spend on reading and note-taking = Total time to spend / 2
Time for each question = 1 min.

Hope that helps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Very very scared of RC [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2011, 19:56
Great thread guys. I haven't really started practicing RC yet. But unlike what a lot of people have mentioned it seems to me that it is the most important areas on GMAT.

Does anyone have a link to the LSAT problems mentioned here?

I will keep you posted on my progress.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Re: Very very scared of RC   [#permalink] 27 Jul 2011, 19:56